Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

How long (on the average) does it take you to go to sleep?

If I follow my natural sleep patterns, I generally fall asleep within five minutes of going to bed. My dh seems to fall asleep INSTANTLY sometimes.

On the other hand, my mother is a poor sleeper and has told me that it often takes as long as an hour for her to zonk out. She has often said that if she is still awake after one hour passes, she will get up and watch television or read a book for a while.

dh's mother is a total insomniac and often has to take sleeping pills just to go to sleep AT ALL.

What about you?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
My DH falls asleep instantly, too. I, unfortunately, do not. My mind whirls as soon as I lie down, and there I am, wide awake. I've never been good at getting to sleep, though I generally will sleep 8 hours once I get there. Our stress level has been very high of late (unemployment'll do that to ya) and I'm noticing it in the quality of my sleep.

I take kava if I remember early enough. If not, Benadryl is my friend.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
My DH falls asleep instantly, too. I, unfortunately, do not. My mind whirls as soon as I lie down, and there I am, wide awake. I've never been good at getting to sleep, though I generally will sleep 8 hours once I get there. Our stress level has been very high of late (unemployment'll do that to ya) and I'm noticing it in the quality of my sleep.

I take kava if I remember early enough. If not, Benadryl is my friend.
Kava? I've heard good things about that. I'll have to try it myself. Yes, worries DOES definitely affect the quality of your sleep. Hopefully, your situation will improve soon. *fingers crossed*

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
I used to go to bed around 1030 or 1100 but I'd lay there for a good long time without falling asleep. Many times an hour or more. If I had to get up early to be somewhere I'd try to go to bed early too but that viscious cycle would always keep me awake. Now that I'm not working (I worked from home for almost 3 yrs) I don't go to bed till I start yawning sometime after 11pm. Waiting till I'm tired helps me get to sleep faster.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Kava is good stuff...if used in moderation. About 2 months ago I pincehd a nerve in my brachial plexus resulting in a very noticable ( to put it lightly ) pain in my arm and shoulder, which made it difficult to sleep. Thank God for kava and valerian! In addition to helping me sleep, the kava also mitigated the pain. I'm no longer taking kava, but I occassionally use a valerian based sleep formula.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
I was an insomniac as a child, teenager, and young adult until I finally learned how to stop worrying/thinking all night long. Now I sleep about 10 hours a night on a regular schedule and that is a beautiful thing. It still takes me about an hour to actually fall asleep since pre-sleep relaxation is a conscious, guided process for me.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
I can't fall asleep I can lay there for an hour or more, even with medication. If I don't get enough sleep 8-10 hours I am sick the next day, feel terrible, cold...I hate that. I worry about it waaayyy too much and I know that, but I have always been this way.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Tkt

44 posts, read 152,981 times
I've always had a very messed up sleep. It takes me easily 1-2 hours to fall asleep, if not more.
I guess I think to much about things when lying in my bed. But I've already tried not thinking about anything, just relaxing. After 20-30 minutes I've still not fallen asleep, so the thinking comes back ...

Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkt View Post
I've always had a very messed up sleep. It takes me easily 1-2 hours to fall asleep, if not more.
I guess I think to much about things when lying in my bed. But I've already tried not thinking about anything, just relaxing. After 20-30 minutes I've still not fallen asleep, so the thinking comes back ...
Instead of trying not to think or trying to stop thoughts, you may find that simply watching your breath is more effective.
The "point" is not to stop thoughts but to not attach to them / to not identify with them.
For example, you can see them as clouds just moving across your "screen" of awareness.
Watch your breath and when thoughts "intrude", and your attention wanders, just bring your attention back to your breathing.
This is a simple and fundamental meditation technique that you can practice for the purpose of relaxing and ultimately falling asleep.
Also, avoiding stimulating activities like watching t.v., playing video games, working or working out, etc. too close to bedtime is problematic ... as is eating too close to bedtime.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I usually lie in bed early- maybe 9pm and read for 30 mins to an hour. If I work at night, I will come home at 11 and go straight to bed. I love sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness