Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times

Advertisements

I take blood pressure very seriously because I know the long term damage that can be caused by elevated BP.

I have been working on weight loss [about 25lbs now], excercise [about 1.5-2 hours a day], and sodium reduction [was about 5-6 grams a day - now about 2 grams a day -still mad the doctors never brought this one up - it should have been the first line defense]

Taking two meds right now - lowest doses of avalide and verapamil. There are no arrythmias that resulted in the verapamil, a calcium channel blocker, being prescribed. I have also upped my omega 3's significantly and lowered omega 6 and sat fats in the diet. Omega 3's appear to act like calcium channel blockers.

Now, what criteria does the doctor use to LOWER the meds. Are there specific medical guidelines/protocols. I go in and it is 120/70. One morning I forgot my avalide **and 6 hours later, at the doctors office, it was..........120/70. Doctor said loose some more weight, then she will consider.

My goal is to get off of them. I really don't like these medications one bit and have concerns about their long term use. I am taking them until a doctor says I can quit and monitor, though, because the long term effects of high blood pressure present a worse alternative.

**I normally don't forget! Fortunatly there is no rebound issue with avalide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I bet she does not want to chance it since you are working out and that can spike your BP. Better safe than sorry type thing.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I bet she does not want to chance it since you are working out and that can spike your BP. Better safe than sorry type thing.
That would not play into the decision at all.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 PM

I am trying to figure out how to convince her to give it a go. I need to buy a better BP monitor and start logging it daily.

I am logging food and excercise and the weight loss is showing. Hopefully, the next blood tests will be in line - I was not that far off the last test - HDL was one point under, LDL 2 points over, and cholesterol 165, BP 120/70 and has been solid as a rock.

My food log also shows sodium levels and a consistency in compliance.

I am just wondering if she will expect it to go low like 110/60 or something like that before she cuts the medicines.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,728 times
You may think you have cut you Sodium intake.
Well, think again.
If you are eating/drinking anything that is bottled,boxed or packaged in any way; any pre-prepared foods, you are getting loads of Sodium by way of all the MSG/MonoSodium Glutamate.
It has many names that are misleading; such as "natural flavoring", hydrolyzed somthing or other; autolyzed something, etc.
Look up "truthinlabeling". There is a list of the devious names that are used.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM

Yes, I have been very aware and on top of sodium intake but you are correct there are many ways to "hide" it in labels.

Basically, if you want to keep a reasonable intake you best not be eating ANY prepared foods. My drinks are black coffee [moving towards decaf], herbal tea, and water. Even a lowly peice of bread - whole grain bread with grain as the first ingredient - has way too much sodium.

But you are saying the label that gives the "sodium" amount does not count the sodium in these other ingredients?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Hi Granny.

Unfortunately, these days doctors have to practice with liability in mind and the way they are educated and trained has begun to reflect this. "What is best for this patient?" has to coexist with "Could this patient's attorney prove gross negligence if I take her off of BP medication and something terrible happens?". Your doc is probably just getting through the first third of the 300% safety margin. You'll be taken off medication if you appear to be satisfactorily owning your health, its just that doctors don't see a lot of people who actually do that.

One unsolicited suggestion: Give black tea a shot as a replacement for black coffee. Plenty of caffeine and its a good bit easier on your system.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Bascially you can't go by one reading. My doctor always recommends that I keep a number of reading over a period of weeks to bring into the office. Some people will not benefit as much as others from weight loss just as you see many slim people that have high blood pressure. If you are way overweight your chances; of course; are much better that the dosage can be lowered at least and sometimes eliminlated.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 AM

745 posts, read 1,648,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Yes, I have been very aware and on top of sodium intake but you are correct there are many ways to "hide" it in labels.

But you are saying the label that gives the "sodium" amount does not count the sodium in these other ingredients?
Granny, that is a good question. You might try writing to some of the companies and asking them. This is not an area of concern for me, but I would like to know too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness