U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 AM

1,677 posts, read 3,611,436 times

Advertisements

I can fly, be on second floor balconies, but any higher and it's white knuckele terror. I have been on that glass elevator in Hawaii and let me tell you - at least you exited the elevator! Actually, I refused to get out at the top because I could not stop clutching the railing inside the elevator for fear of falling and I had my eyes closed so tight, I'm surprised I didn't hurt myself. When taken back down I ran screaming away from the elevator. I know my limits and do not put myself in a situation (anymore) that is going to cause discomfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 AM

14,695 posts, read 18,763,955 times
I manage by closing my eyes when I'm stuck in a small space

I can often get by doing that too, Hopes, but not with a closed MRI. The first time I had one, I closed my eyes long before I entered the tunnel but I could still sense how close the machine was to my body. I pride myself on being a rational, logical person but I actually "lost it" then and started screaming so loudly that people from other rooms came running.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 AM

8,177 posts, read 14,256,731 times
I have had a fear of heights since I was a child. At first it was certain typs of stairways and I could eventually manage to overcome that. Fifth and sixth grade elementary school were on the third floor with an open metal stairway. My mother had me go to the building the week before school opened each of those 2 years to acclimate myself to walking up and down them. I have had ear infections and vertigo since I was a small child.

Now that I'm 60, my fear of heights has progressed to sometimes ridiculous extremes. I can fly, but I am one of those white-knuckled gaspers with every bump or change in angle. I'm not fun to sit near.

I live in NYC - I will not go into any building over the 10th floor - and lately that's been going down. I don't drive over bridges and I live on an island. I hate being the passenger in a car going over the bridge. When we cruise, I cannot use the outside ladders (stairways) or go up to the top 3 decks - and heavens forbid I should find myself at the top of the atrium. I get short of breath, grab for walls, and start to sob.

We recently, within the last 5 years took a trip to Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon. I didn't set foot on the Dam, I went to the backside where the water was high, and I hung onto a tree about 10' from the edge of the Canyon. I couldn't even watch my husband as he leaned over taking pictures. In San Francisco, I couldn't go up Coit Tower and Telegraph hill had me on my knees on the ground afraid I was going to be blown off!

It's horrible. I've tried everything from hypnosis to successive approximation and it just continues to get worse, as my hearing worsens (and my vertigo with it). I live with it - sometimes well, sometimes not.

As for claustrophobia, I cannot have an open MRI without being knocked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm so afraid of heights I can't even stand on my tippy toes!

escalators, step stools, ladders, glass elevators etc are all out of the question. My father had the same phobias too. Are phobias inherited? i sincerely think my problems are balance issues and they get worse with age. I can barely close my eyes in the shower and have to have one hand on the wall at all times.
I also suffer from claustrophobia extremely. MRI's require IV valium and one time I had a panic attack while in my car in one of those drive on the track car washes. I tried to open my car door while the water was pouring in and the big rollers were barrelling down on us. That was my first indication of my claustrophobia. But elevators don't bother me- go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I manage by closing my eyes when I'm stuck in a small space

I can often get by doing that too, Hopes, but not with a closed MRI. The first time I had one, I closed my eyes long before I entered the tunnel but I could still sense how close the machine was to my body. I pride myself on being a rational, logical person but I actually "lost it" then and started screaming so loudly that people from other rooms came running.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
I had this problem too. I found that it was because I was viewing the situations differently.

Instead of viewing the situations of heights as a place when you feel safe, instead I views the ground as if it were miles underneath me and the fear of being splattered on the concrete.

To change this you need to view your heights as if you were on a hill or a slope.

When you do this in your mind attitude the fear decreases because the height at which you are is a gradually decreasing slop that you can handle feeling at your own pace.

Just stop for a moment to to think of what a slope feels like and now image that same feeling of a slope as you are on top of a building. As the building get's taller imagine as if the slope was getting longer and larger...

You will feel different about it when you look down.

Ideally the thing you need to understand is that it's 'the way' you are looking at things now, and 'how' you viewed things before you started getting the fear.

You viewed both times differently. So view it in the way that works x

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 01-18-2010 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: No links/recommendations with under 10 posts

Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM

1,677 posts, read 3,611,436 times
Unless it is interfereing in your life somehow you need to avoid putting yourself into situations that create your anxiety. I responded and am the other "Hawaii Glass Elevator Victim." The tall towers are enclosed and don't (in my opinion) pose a threat to someone with minor fear of heights. Ya know, I tried the exposure thing and mind change, but in my case it didn't work.
I did try when my kids would come running about a frisbee or a water controlled projectile rocket that landed on the roof. I bravely took out the ladder but couldn't go through with it. Instead I improvised with a very long rope and weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness