U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:53 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,115,900 times

Advertisements

I found out several months ago I have Lyme and several months before that FM. My tick bite was between four and five years ago and I just got treatment in July. Long story and I feel too sick to even get into it. After doing some research, it seems antibiotics are the only treatment? I'm on my second round and my Dr. mentioned maybe getting I guess shots after this if necessary. Has this helped anyone here with Lyme? I am so sick and in bed most of the time. I spent a lot of time reading about Lyme and I have every and all symptom including severe headaches. I have taken so many drugs for the headaches and almost none help. Now I'm on Fioricet w/ codeine and sometimes it helps but a lot of times the headache is so bad it doesn't. Yesterday I took 12 different pills to try and get rid of my headache and was up until after 2am crying with a heating pad on my head and it never went away. My arms and hands have been numb for around four years and I haven't lifted my left arm in months. I can't grasp anything in my left hand for three weeks and now my right hand is acting up. Last time I had the antibiotics, it seemed to help and I had maybe two or three months of no pain in my arms or hands but then it came back. I have a huge phobia of needles, to the point I make a scene at the Dr's office. I can't imagine getting a shot everyday but if it will help, I have to. If you have Lyme and did this treatment, please let me know if it helped you and it's worth my torment. I have second and third stage symptoms of Lyme and I need some relief. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,542,664 times
First, I am so sorry to hear that you have Lyme Disease. I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever. I was put on antibotics, and I preferred the shots since they worked so much better. I feel that I am over it. Never heard of shots on a daily basis as mine were once a week for 3 weeks. They got it before I had too many other symptems.

If I were in your situation I would get on a good diet. I know when I had chronic fatigue I juiced daily and was able to cure myself. My immune system was pretty bad. I juiced with raw carrots, parsley, celery, and garlic, and some doctors say to use a lot of greens. This combination of veggies was for the immune system, and you need a good immune system to fight this

I have heard my own pharmacist say that lyme disease comes back when your immune system is low, such as getting a cold or flu. I don't get either anyone, so I don't know.

I was never tested for FM, but my chronic fatigue was very inabling. My body ached like I had the flue, and then I had severe headaches. I was so tired I could hardly get out of bed. Juicing first ended my headaches, and then the flu aches went away. After six months I no longer had chronic fatigue, but in the first week of juicing I had more energy and knew I was on the right track.

So did the doctor actually test you for tick fever? It is hard to believe that a 5 year old tick bite would just now be showing up. But if the test proved it, then I believe it. I would certainly go with the shots. when I had tick fever the shots enabled me to enjoy my visit with my sister and niece, and so we were able to travel out of town. It had not progressed to your stage though. I caught it within 10 days.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad you found a way to help with your situation. I'm already a vegetarian and have been for over fifteen years and eat a lot of vegetables. I never did the juice thing but I guess it's something I can try. I actually have a very good immune system, at least when it comes to colds and things like that. Besides the Lyme and FM, I haven't been sick in years. I take a lot of vitamins, eat right and exercise when I physically can and I don't smoke. The Dr. is the one that told me about shots everyday but I don't know much else about it. I wanted to see if anyone on here had them and it helped. I'm on my second round of the pills and not seeing any improvement. Lyme disease is very hard to detect because there is more than one blood test and I believe more than one strain of it. I only had one test back when I was bit and it came up negative but people that have Lyme told me that doesn't mean you don't have it. Since then all of these symptoms have popped up and I was tested again about ten months ago but a couple different types of tests for it and it came up positive. I know I have it, I have been tested for almost everything that similiar and it's the only thing that explains it. I also know several other people that have it and they have the same problems but not as bad because they caught it earlier.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,891,296 times
I was treated for lyme, my case was pretty severe. I was on some oral antibotics, 3 different kind, I think it was zithromax, flaygl and I can't remember the other one. I didn't take them at the same time. I got worse and then I had a hickman in my chest for a year and was on IV rocphin everyday. After it was removed I was on penicillin shots and something else.

I went to see 2 of the top doctors that treat lyme, one was in CT and the other in NY. My results were sent to the CDC because I had many different strains of lyme, one being from Germany. They sent samples of my blood all over the US to have it tested.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I was treated for lyme, my case was pretty severe. I was on some oral antibotics, 3 different kind, I think it was zithromax, flaygl and I can't remember the other one. I didn't take them at the same time. I got worse and then I had a hickman in my chest for a year and was on IV rocphin everyday. After it was removed I was on penicillin shots and something else.

I went to see 2 of the top doctors that treat lyme, one was in CT and the other in NY. My results were sent to the CDC because I had many different strains of lyme, one being from Germany. They sent samples of my blood all over the US to have it tested.
I appreciate your post but you didn't mention if you are feeling better or what happened after the treatment. Did the shots help? May I ask what your symptoms were? Was this recent?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,891,296 times
started out with burning in my thighs, then 6 months later I had double vision, severe vertigo, loss of balance, muscle pain. I literally had to crawl around my house for 3 months and my boyfriend had to hold me up in the shower to bathe. My veritgo was the worst, because it lasted for 2-3 months.

I went to the ER, they ran all kinds of tests. Ended up sending me to CT, then NY. I saw 2 doctors. They ran multiple blood tests, I know they sent samples to Houston, NY, somewhere in CA and Colorado to the CDC. I was kind of a rare case and they said it had to be reported because of the strains I had. I had to tell them where I had been etc...

Treatment wasn't too bad except for the hickman in my chest for a year and a nurse came out once a week to change the caps and flush the lines. They put me on an anti depressant to help me through it. I am better now, but have some residual stuff and sometimes when it rains I get dizzy and my muscles ache soo bad all over and no pain meds help me but overall I am so much better.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,048,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I found out several months ago I have Lyme and several months before that FM. My tick bite was between four and five years ago and I just got treatment in July. Long story and I feel too sick to even get into it. After doing some research, it seems antibiotics are the only treatment? I'm on my second round and my Dr. mentioned maybe getting I guess shots after this if necessary. Has this helped anyone here with Lyme? I am so sick and in bed most of the time. I spent a lot of time reading about Lyme and I have every and all symptom including severe headaches. I have taken so many drugs for the headaches and almost none help. Now I'm on Fioricet w/ codeine and sometimes it helps but a lot of times the headache is so bad it doesn't. Yesterday I took 12 different pills to try and get rid of my headache and was up until after 2am crying with a heating pad on my head and it never went away. My arms and hands have been numb for around four years and I haven't lifted my left arm in months. I can't grasp anything in my left hand for three weeks and now my right hand is acting up. Last time I had the antibiotics, it seemed to help and I had maybe two or three months of no pain in my arms or hands but then it came back. I have a huge phobia of needles, to the point I make a scene at the Dr's office. I can't imagine getting a shot everyday but if it will help, I have to. If you have Lyme and did this treatment, please let me know if it helped you and it's worth my torment. I have second and third stage symptoms of Lyme and I need some relief. Thank you.

Start right here: www.immed.org

Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
post deleted

Last edited by tao; 04-07-2010 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: unnecessarily rude and condescending.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,542,664 times
I was a vegetarian when I began juicing. FM is from a bad immune system, somehow I believe. Even now I have hashimoto's thyroidism where my immune system is attacking my thyroid. I began juicing again to see if it would help, only 3 days into it. But I never get colds or the flu either.

when i juice i used 7 carrots, handful of parsley, one clove garlic, and 2 stalks of celery, which make just one glass of juice. it doesn't taste good, but i can get it down.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You really need to get over your problem with needles. You're not a child anymore.

I think it would be a good idea for you to seek therapy to help you overcome your phobia and get through the treatment.
I really don't appreciate your comment. I know I'm not a child but was traumatized when I was younger with a sharp object many times over and I think over the years it gave me this phobia. I'm not someone that just doesn't like needles like most people. Before you comment you should be a little more sensitive. Anyway, I'm not getting the shots just for the hell of it, I'm trying to find out if they actually helped anyone here. You didn't seem to have insight about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I was a vegetarian when I began juicing. FM is from a bad immune system, somehow I believe. Even now I have hashimoto's thyroidism where my immune system is attacking my thyroid. I began juicing again to see if it would help, only 3 days into it. But I never get colds or the flu either.

when i juice i used 7 carrots, handful of parsley, one clove garlic, and 2 stalks of celery, which make just one glass of juice. it doesn't taste good, but i can get it down.
Thanks. Like I said, I'm willing to try it. No Dr. said my immune system was being attacked but I know I have an auto immune issue. FM can be caused by several things, trauma being one of them but Lyme is from a tick bite, which I had 4+ yrs ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness