U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 11:17 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,540,981 times

Advertisements

Anyone been diagnosed? I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for going on two years now, but it seems that there is more going on. The doctors are going to run some tests for ankylosing spondylitis. From what I've read though, tests aren't always conclusive.

Anyone had any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM

801 posts, read 1,118,529 times
My husband has it. PM me if you'd like specifics.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,014 times
Default genetic testing is an was pretty conclusive an stops all wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Anyone been diagnosed? I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for going on two years now, but it seems that there is more going on. The doctors are going to run some tests for ankylosing spondylitis. From what I've read though, tests aren't always conclusive.

Anyone had any experience with this?
may I ask your age?normally effects males around 35 years old(also reffered to as end Sullivan dies ease)if you remember the TV host.most doctors an relatives start to think you need therapists.mine started at 35 .normally starts with a trigger (accident illness flu etc then pains start and don't really stop .I hope it doesn't sound familiar

Old 06-09-2013, 04:10 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,605,701 times
I was treated 7 years for AS. The ratio is 4 to 1, with mostly males having it. Turns out this doctor was mistaken. Apparently, he tended to diagnose most women who had multiple symptoms of auto-immune problems as having a female version of AS. One day there were 9 women in his waiting room and I began asking why they were there. Each one had AS. I left and never went back. Later, an ANA blood test showed acute Systemic Lupus. I was never given a test for AS.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 AM

241 posts, read 344,651 times
Has the doctor done any spinal xrays? Often, you will see a dripping candle wax look to the spine as if wax was running down the spine.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,004,541 times
Is there a blood test for AS? Also what is the difference between scoliosis and AS?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM

241 posts, read 344,651 times
Scoliosis occurs when a person has abnormal curvature in their spine. If you are looking straight at a person, the curve will be either to the left or right. From the side, people have naturally occurring curvatures in their spine, kind of like an elongated S-curve.

AS is a rheumatic disease that may effect the whole body. Often people with AS initially get mid back pain that is worse at rest and feels better with activity.

There are no specific lab tests to identify ankylosing spondylitis. Certain blood tests can check for signs of inflammation, but inflammation can be caused by many different health problems. Your blood can be tested for the HLA-B27 gene, but most people who have that gene don't have ankylosing spondylitis.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Is there a blood test for AS? Also what is the difference between scoliosis and AS?
There is a test called HLA B27 Antigen which is present in 9% of Caucasian and 4% of Black populations.

My test says that this antigen is seen with a frequency of 90% in patients with ankylosing spondylitis.

My result says that it is present. I think this may be a test that they use to detect AS along with other symptoms and radiological exams.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003551.htm

Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine. Scoliosis - MayoClinic.com

AS Ankylosing spondylitis: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

I had a patient back in the day who was dx with AS and he was in pretty bad shape and I remember the dr just being pretty upset over his dx.

I know when I got these labs back I was pretty upset. There were so many 'bad labs' that day but many of them finally proved my diagnoses to the dr. It was a good day and a bad day....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness