U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:51 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,306,817 times

Advertisements

If you have pimples or acne you should use the most mild-hypo-allergenic soap available. Soap should be used sparingly with a lot of warm water and harsh sponges and towels should never be used. Even if you don't have acne, you should do what I advised with your skin. The more chemicals a soap or solution has the more it will harm your skin. Get the most mild soap that you can find.

All of those harsh acne medications usually do not work and leave rashes. Peroxide is a really harsh chemical.

Food contributes to acne out breaks, especially fried or refried food. Watch what you eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 PM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
OP, have you been to a dermatologist?

Like everyone has said, you want to go gentle, not harsh with facial cleansers, and make sure to drink lots of water and wash your sheets, towels, and pillowcases often, and with a detergent made for sensitive skin.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,034,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkt View Post
Hello,

Some people have a lot of acne, even around the age of 20, and I was wondering how you are around those people?

Do you ignore it, like if it wasn't even there?
Or are you really grossed out by it, and don't even wan't to look at the person?

Do you think you would be able to talk much better with the person if he/she didn't have the acne?
Or does it have no effect?

Lastly, have you ever had acne? How much?

This works really well to clear acne up.

Every night apply Original Phillips Milk of Magnesia to your face and let it alone for 15 minutes. Then remove it with plain water. Only the original Phillips works.

It takes about two weeks to clear it up but you should see a difference in a day or two.

busta

Old 01-16-2010, 02:59 PM

856 posts, read 1,887,897 times
I started getting at 11 and while it was never severe I still had mild acne until 27. I tried everything except accutane. The only thing that has completely cleared up my skin is BCP (mircette). Now I just use an oil cleanser at night to remove any make-up/dirt/oil. Of course if you are male this won't work LOL

Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,451,628 times
This worked wonders for my son. Try taking Omega 3,6,9 oil, which comes in a dark plastic bottle to prevent it becoming rancid. You can buy it in the refrigerated section of your local health food store....it's anti-inflammatory, and works well at improving heart and brain function, along with clearing up your skin. It costs about $25.00 but will last a few months. Don't buy the omega oil in capsule form...not as fresh without refrigeration.

You take one or two teaspoons of the stuff first thing in the morning, before you have eaten any other fats (such as butter on your toast). You'll see improvement in less than two weeks.

Also, as far as diet, I knew someone who had terrible acne, and it cleared when he stopped drinking soda. It was the caramel coloring in Coke that was causing the problem. They sneak caramel coloring into other things, as well.

Zinc is good for healing, so make sure you are getting enough zinc in your diet. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:26 PM

244 posts, read 592,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Accutane has 2 pages of horrible side effects - IMO it's better to live with less than perfect skin than to ever touch that!

If you have ever had bad acne, you might feel differently, as I did. I'm extremely happy I did so. To the OP I feel a little self concious for the person with acne because I remember how self concious I used to be. Plus, I am hearing impaired and have a habit of making eye contact and reading lips. I know that sometimes this can make people even more uncomfortable if they are insecure.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 PM

223 posts, read 502,685 times
There are some great tips from other posters. However, some acne is unfortunately resistant to good health habits and OTC products.

For these folks, Accutane can be a miracle. Yes, it does have the potential to cause side effects. This is why a patient on Accutane is closely monitored monthly by their physician.

My best friend had severe cystic acne during his college years. He was miserable. Once he began working a "real" job he started taking Accutane. I can't remember if he took it for 6 months or one year. The results were astounding. He is now in his thirties and has remained acne-free.

You should definitely see a dermatologist to assess your acne. Acne is so common that you will likely find a successful treatment option.

Almost everyone has had to deal with pimples/acne at some point. Honestly, other people probably don't notice it as much as you do.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,579,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post

Try dating a cat instead. They tend to not get acne on fur.
You are wrong about that. Cat's do get acne.
It's commonly called "Chin Acne" because that's where they get it.
Although the causes are unknown, bacteria, stress, and eating from plastic dishes are suspected. It also seems to be contagious.
If my cats get it, I scrub the area with anti-bacterial soap and it clears right up, although some cats have more serious problems and require medication.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
Quote:
Accutane has 2 pages of horrible side effects - IMO it's better to live with less than perfect skin than to ever touch that!
Easy to say when your idea of acne is "less than perfect skin."

If you ever had to suffer with severe cystic acne covering your face and scalp and neck and trunk you would understand that Accutane is a life-safer. Deep, cystic acne is very painful and it is impossible to hide. So yeh, my eyes are still dry and I can only wear special contacts, and my lips are still dry and never truly heal, but strangers don't treat me like Quasimodo anymore and I no longer feel like crying every time I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I am very thankful that isotretinoin was invented and hope fervently that it remains on the market in case I ever need it again. I have used it twice and my only regret is that I waited so long before taking that second course, I could have avoided a lot of scarring. When you have severe acne and have tried everything and nothing works, that's when you should consider isotretinoin.

Quote:
First thing to know is it will pass. It really will.
This isn't true for everyone.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,970 times
Never in a million years would I look at a person with acne and treat them with any disrespect. We are all human and the fact that anyone would treat you different is just wrong. They've got the problem, not you.

I started getting zits in junior high. By my senior year of high school, I had full blown cystic acne. The cysts were all on my face, so terrible that they had to be injected with cortisone multiple times to get them to go away. My dermatologist didn't do anything for me. I graduated high school with huge fluid-filled cysts on either side of my chin. I cried to my dermatologist to help me and he laughed and told me it was my body's way of being symmetrical. I'll never forget the way my dad looked at me on my graduation day. I had my head hung because I was so upset and he lifted my chin and quickly turned away in disgust. After trying Tetracycline and developing an allergy, and after I'd exhausted all topicals, I turned to Accutane. I was closely monitored and required to be on the pill during treatment. Treatment took 4 months but my acne cleared in about 2 weeks. My only regret about taking Accutane is that I didn't try it sooner. I have horrible scars from allowing my acne to go on so long.

I am now 35 (Accutane treatment was around 10 years ago) and I still get mild break-outs. They can usually be attributed to stress or bad foods. Drink lots of water, stay away from fried foods, chocolates, sodas, and processed foods. Eat healthy and exercise. You'll need to find what facial cleanser works best for you, but I like Aveeno Foaming Acne Wash and anything made by Lush (which is all chemical free). I still occasionally use retin-a for spot treatments. I wish I had the thousands of dollars needed to repair my scars.

If I won millions in Powerball, I'd start a foundation to help young people without means improve their appearances by treating skin disorders and problems with teeth. We put such high standards on the quality of people's skin and what their smile looks like. I'm thankful for my teeth and thankful for skin I consider healthy now. I hope I've helped in some way. If acne is overtaking your life, please talk with your doctor about treatment options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness