Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

Who would have believed it?

"Giving up smoking sharply increases the risk of developing type-two diabetes, a US study suggests. Researchers found quitters had a 70% increased risk of developing type-two diabetes in the first six years without cigarettes compared with non-smokers."

(Note: I don't know if this applies to pipe/cigar smokers but it seems reasonable that it would.)

BBC News - Giving up smoking 'raises diabetes risk'

Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
The very next line of the article you posted....

"This is because they tend to put on weight."

Not very surprising at all since type II diabetes correlates closely with increased weight.....

Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Good Lord! One of the do-gooders quoted in that article suggests that I not only quit smoking, but start exercising too!

What on earth would I do with my easy chair and ashtrays? Throw them out? How wasteful and damaging to the environment!

I guess next they'd have me counting calories and watching what I eat.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Good Lord! One of the do-gooders quoted in that article suggests that I not only quit smoking, but start exercising too!

What on earth would I do with my easy chair and ashtrays? Throw them out? How wasteful and damaging to the environment!

I guess next they'd have me counting calories and watching what I eat.

Funny!! Very funny!

Last edited by Marka; 01-16-2010 at 05:01 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Yet another reason (for your denial) for you people to not quit smoking.

Yes you will have to work out more if you quit smoking, as you will gain weight. Yes you can't sit on your lazy chair and expect to be healthy. (even a kid knows that)

You don't want to be a diabetic? Live a healthy life and don't be overweight. (Well apparently you can smoke to minimize being a Diabetic, but you risk getting Organ Cancers and COPD) Ah life is grand, isn't it?

Wait! I have a breakthrough concept! How about you NOT smoke and NOT be overweight and take care of yourself?!!? I know, that is boring and lame, but you will live longer this way.....

Last edited by ttz; 01-08-2010 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post

Yes you will have to work out more if you quit smoking, as you will gain weight. Yes you can't sit on your lazy chair and expect to be healthy. (even a kid knows that)

You don't want to be a diabetic? Live a healthy life and don't be overweight. (Well apparently you can smoke to minimize being a Diabetic, but you risk getting Organ Cancers and COPD) Ah life is grand, isn't it?

Wait! I have a breakthrough concept! How about you NOT smoke and NOT be overweight and take care of yourself?!!? I know, that is boring and lame, but you will live longer this way.....
Nobody in their right mind is insane enough to want to live forever so why not enjoy a life that has some vices as well as some some responsibility to round out to a good quality life. That said, My one vice (My pipe) is one that I will never give up simply because I enjoy it for the peace it brings me in a world full of idiots, morons, and gossip mongers.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:

Wait! I have a breakthrough concept! How about you NOT give me your cheap advice? I'm a grown man and really don't need, or want, some sanctimonious do-gooder "helping" me out with my life.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Wait! I have a breakthrough concept! How about you NOT give me your cheap advice? I'm a grown man and really don't need, or want, some sanctimonious do-gooder "helping" me out with my life.
Hey if you want to kill yourself, go ahead and knock yourselves out. I'm just pointing out the obvious. If you smoke, you will suffer and die younger. If you people like taking drugs to make yourselves "high" then so be it. But don't be in denial about it. Just recognize you are drug addicts. We all have vices, and unfortunately yours is a pretty deadly one. I'll stick to my occasional burger and ice cream.

Last edited by ttz; 01-09-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Hey if you want to kill yourself, go ahead and knock yourselves out. I'm just pointing out the obvious. If you smoke, you will suffer and die younger. If you people like taking drugs to make yourselves "high" then so be it. But don't be in denial about it. Just recognize you are drug addicts. We all have vices, and unfortunately yours is a pretty deadly one. I'll stick to my occasional burger and ice cream.
Interesting response that is self righteous narrow minded drivel. I have to wonder if there is an adult posting or not.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Well yeh..it breaks the pancreas:

"Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. Mod cut: copyright violation
Nicotine Addiction - Nicotine and Dopamine

Smoking causes it. Only when you get healthy do you know how sick your body was. That goes for food or smoking or just couch potato life.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-10-2010 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness