Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times

Advertisements

I am 34 weeks pregnant and for the last 4 weeks, have had high blood pressure at doctor's appointments (around 140/ 85). No protein in urine, swelling or other signs of pre-eclampsia, so doctor is not too worried, but wanted me to keep a closer eye on it and recommended I get a blood pressure cuff for home use. I got a middle of the range digital one which fits on the wrist, which you then hold to your heart while sitting down. It says it only takes a reading when you do it correctly.

Well, I have taken my BP this way twice yesterday evening and three times this morning, and it is always around 109/ 70, ie markedly lower than at the doctor's. I have heard of "white coat syndrome", but never had this problem in my previous pregnancy or the early part of this pregnancy, and this is really a huge difference. I don't think I made any errors in doing my home readings.

So I am wondering if there is a difference in readings taken on the upper arm and the wrist? Or maybe my readings are more accurate as they are done on bare skin whereas the nurse at the doctor's off+ice does it through my clothes? The only reference to writs vs upper arm BP I can find is one study (Graves, 2001) which says "These wrist readings are not usually performed as falsely higher diastolic blood pressure readings may be obtained." ... but mine are lower, not higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
It could be "white coat syndrome" also if it's taken right after eating-yes it will be higher same as right after walking.

Does your doctor fo a reading laying fown, then standing? Ours does.

I have an upper arm one that cost about $100 and does 3 simultaneous readings along w/heartbeat.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:21 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I would like to find a good monitor. How do you go about deciding which one would be best? Are there any good sites that rate accuracy of blood pressure cuffs? I was going to check Amazon.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:34 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
I have a wrist cuff blood pressure monitor. You can take it to your doctor to have it calibrated.

This is the brand I have and it's always right on when the doctor tests it:

Omron Wrist Blood Pressure Monitors

Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I have a wrist cuff blood pressure monitor. You can take it to your doctor to have it calibrated.

This is the brand I have and it's always right on when the doctor tests it:

Omron Wrist Blood Pressure Monitors

This is a great suggestion.

Take your monitor to your next appointment and check your BP with your wrist monitor right after the nurse checks it and you will likely have your answer as to whether or not your home monitor is accurate.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Beth: that is the same I have. Good to know it is accurate for you! I will bring mine to my appointment next week and do a double check.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Please post your response. I would love to know.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Just a quick update. I went to my doctor today and happy to report that the wrist cuff had very similar readings to both his digital upper arm cuff (reading taken by the nurse) and a manual reading taken with a stetoscope (reading taken by doctor). I took two readings with the wrist cuff, one before and one after the two readings taken by the doctor and his nurse, and both times, the upper number was about 5 points lower with the wrist cuff, and the lower number was within one point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness