U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 AM

2,962 posts, read 2,870,888 times

Advertisements

What is interesting about the study that most people like to quote (Iain Lang's Sep 2008 study) found that:
Quote:
The authors found that higher bisphenol A levels were significantly associated with heart disease, diabetes, and abnormally high levels of certain liver enzymes.
However, the question I would have is whether it is possible that the people with heart disease and diabetes just happened to be eating more poor quality food that just happened to be in the suspected packaging? Then is their disease a result of BPA? Or is it just their general poor eating habits?

I'm not denying BPAs are bad. But when someone is out to prove a point in a scientific study, they sometimes don't use the most sound of logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"Nicotine" IS a chemical that is harmful just like BPA is!

Some people can't stay on topic even if they had a road map..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I agree to a point but......... a chemical is a chemical is a chemical. This is one area where splitting hairs doesn't wash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Then why did YOU bring it up in the first place in the original post???

Please feel free to educate me on chemistry any day by the way...
Read the posts and stop being so asinine.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,047,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The FDA has approved many harmful and noxious chemicals to be "reasonably safe" for human consumption. This is partially why our cancer rates have gone off the charts in the past decade.

Anyone who believes that the government has our best interests at heart are fooling themselves. It's all about money in their pocket.

We can only try to protect ourselves the best that we can. We all must educate ourselves and make our own lifestyle decisions that will give us the best chance of minimizing contact to potentially harmful substances.

20yrsinBranson
Yes exactly. As far as common chemicals, I only want to add non stick cooking pans and new homes that give off a variety of fumes from the carpet, paint, and glue that holds together the particle board.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,164,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes exactly. As far as common chemicals, I only want to add non stick cooking pans and new homes that give off a variety of fumes from the carpet, paint, and glue that holds together the particle board.
Absolutely!!!
When an ad for an apartment proudly claims that the carpets are new or that they just painted or that it's been recently renovated, i pass without a second thought.
I spent many years of my childhood in an extremely toxic home ... the off-gassing of every thing you mentioned plus was so noxious.
I can still remember that funky smell.
As a child i didn't know what it was but i knew it wasn't o.k..
I have no doubt that my health was compromised and that my extreme sensitivity to chemicals is, in part, due to that early experience.
Many pictures of me when i was still a child indicate that my system was toxic, most noticeably dark circles and puffy eyes (kidney and liver issues).
I also remember when i was a child walking behind a little truck thingy that was spraying the trees along side the road and i'm fairly certain it was DDT.
So yes .... beware of new homes!!!
Unless they were built with an eco-friendly consciousness, there's a good chance that one or more things in it are off-gassing and will continue to do so for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness