U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many times you take a Bath or Shower a week?
One day a week 9 5.26%
two days a week 8 4.68%
three days a week 10 5.85%
four days a week 19 11.11%
five days a week 9 5.26%
six days a week 14 8.19%
seven days a week 84 49.12%
Don't take any Bath or Shower a week. 1 0.58%
Take more then one Bath or Shower a day. 19 11.11%
Take Bath or Shower only when dirty. 5 2.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM

558 posts, read 813,838 times

Advertisements

As a 30 something guy I can't start my day without a shower. To leave the house with all that sleep still on me feels gross. Gotta be fresh, or as Redd Foxx always said, "You Gotta Wash Yo A$s!"

My older brother, I can't get through to him. He showers 2 times a month! Sometimes only once! Drives me crazy, he don't really stink but it's just the point that it's not sanitary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 PM

4,252 posts, read 2,799,449 times
I bathe once a year whether I need it or not.

Actually, I take a bath every night before going to bed and shower in the morning about once a week or so when I need to wash my hair.

There was a time when I took 3 baths a day. Once in the morning, when I got home from work, and then right before bed.

Cat

Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
It's climate-driven, in part. I grew up in the frozen northland, and my immigrant-based depression-era parents threw me screaming into the tub every Saturday night. When I got to college in Louisiana, everybody took a shower every day.

I learned then to take a shower or bath every day, but letting it go is still baked into me, it seems silly to take a shower when not necessary. So in summer, maybe I take a shower most days, but maybe not if I stay in all day and don't sweat. In winter, a couple times a week is plenty.

It's easier to shave in the steamy bathroom after a shower, so sometimes I shower just because I want to shave.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 PM

2,797 posts, read 2,513,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by instagram View Post
i take showers once a week but when i played sports i showered twice a week. tell the whole world so they know cause in the future your going to have the best skin and they'll be ugly with flappy skin at age 40.

i never smell
That's because you are used to it - the way the nose follicles work, once the essence of 'you' fills up the follicles you don't notice yourself.

and i ask my friends if they ever smell me and the say no.
Well, do they ever get close enough to tell or are they just being nice?

In all seriousness, it's a matter of skin type, hygiene / grooming care and climate. Since I like to swim, I always shower off the chlorine immediately after and moisturize to some level.

I probably shower 7 to 10 times per week depending on level and type of activities engaging in, and whether it's a hot summer (more showers) or during cold dry winter months (less showers). Now that it is April, - well, the showers just come my way.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
I didn't vote. I wasn't quite sure how to answer. Taking a shower is different than taking a bath which is different than washing. I've showered, bathed (taken a bath), as often as three times a day and as infrequently as once every two weeks. I always wash, clean myself. It really depends upon the circumstances.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:08 AM

896 posts, read 864,071 times
i shower every day before i leave the house (i feel nasty if i don't). sometimes i will shower twice a day (before sleep) but usually that dries out my skin as i use the harsh irish spring soap with scrub gloves to really remove all dead skin cells, and my face goes through apricot scrub by st. ives. if i want to have sex with my girlfriend, i won't shower for 24 hours and vice versa (we both enjoy each other's natural body smell). i never stink though. that's the one thing a man should never do - smell bad. it's really nasty.

on the flipside, i have mild eczema on my chest and underarm area as well as scalp. it can easily be controlled without medication if i shower at least once every 24 hours so that is also another thing that spurs me to shower daily. i do remember showering like once a week at age 19 (now i am 37) though. i have no idea how i lived like that "so dirty" everyday. i could not be like that anymore.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:05 PM

4,252 posts, read 2,799,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i shower every day before i leave the house (i feel nasty if i don't). sometimes i will shower twice a day (before sleep) but usually that dries out my skin as i use the harsh irish spring soap with scrub gloves to really remove all dead skin cells, and my face goes through apricot scrub by st. ives. if i want to have sex with my girlfriend, i won't shower for 24 hours and vice versa (we both enjoy each other's natural body smell). i never stink though. that's the one thing a man should never do - smell bad. it's really nasty.

on the flipside, i have mild eczema on my chest and underarm area as well as scalp. it can easily be controlled without medication if i shower at least once every 24 hours so that is also another thing that spurs me to shower daily. i do remember showering like once a week at age 19 (now i am 37) though. i have no idea how i lived like that "so dirty" everyday. i could not be like that anymore.

I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub, too. I have used it for more than a decade. Great stuff.

Cat

Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,995,827 times
Four times a week. Sometimes five.

I don't 'rot' quickly. Also don't want to waste hot water as bills are killers.

It seems like the majority shower everyday. Unless you work at strenuous 'dirty' jobs, which is excusable, you are really overdoing it. Such a waste of water...

Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,892,109 times
Interesting to read all the posts. I shower every day and wash my hair every other day. I try not to shower more than once per day because that really dries out the skin. Sometimes I'll shower twice in a day if I have to and then not at all the next day.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 PM

27,994 posts, read 46,359,104 times
I take one a day and my girl friend takes two or more a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or