Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:40 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times

Advertisements

OhZone, you are SO right on that! I see people that say they are on a diet but eat all the wrong things... sorry but a salad with a cup of cheese, bacon bits and a half a bottle of salad dressing is NOT diet food!

The way people "think" about food is what needs to be addressed. There are a lot of healthy things out there that are meant to be eaten only in small to moderate quantities. It is the over use of foods that is one of the problems. Everything you eat does NOT have to be covered in some kind of sauce or have something to dip it in. 2 pounds of a roast is not healthy to eat just because it is baked.

Education is the key. Insurance companies should include in health coverage, nutritionist to help people learn what to eat and how to eat. ANYONE overweight should be required to take those classes over and over until they "get it".. You have parents passing down their bad habits to their kids and that "you are entitled" attitude. Attitudes have to be changed!

We need to go back to the attitude of eating to live... not living to eat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
OhZone, you are SO right on that! I see people that say they are on a diet but eat all the wrong things... sorry but a salad with a cup of cheese, bacon bits and a half a bottle of salad dressing is NOT diet food!

The way people "think" about food is what needs to be addressed. There are a lot of healthy things out there that are meant to be eaten only in small to moderate quantities. It is the over use of foods that is one of the problems. Everything you eat does NOT have to be covered in some kind of sauce or have something to dip it in. 2 pounds of a roast is not healthy to eat just because it is baked.

Education is the key. Insurance companies should include in health coverage, nutritionist to help people learn what to eat and how to eat. ANYONE overweight should be required to take those classes over and over until they "get it".. You have parents passing down their bad habits to their kids and that "you are entitled" attitude. Attitudes have to be changed!

We need to go back to the attitude of eating to live... not living to eat!

REQUIRED? Required by who? And why? If they're happy with their lifestyles, what business is it of anyone elses?

It's still a free country, you know.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:42 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The nanny state marches on!

For all the rabid anti-smoker crowd out there, get ready! Here it comes! What was done to us will soon be done to you.

Wonder how enthusiastic you'll be when the health nuts get after something you like?

And, don't worry. The health-Nazi's have learned their lessons well, with your support, and a fat tax won't be the last you hear from them...unless you stand up and say, "ENOUGH!"

You don't need to be complaining on this one....I sell cigs in the grocery store and you can trust me your goverment money is paying for lots of people on cash benefits of EBT to purchase the cigs. Does that make you feel better

Old 01-23-2010, 07:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
You don't need to be complaining on this one....I sell cigs in the grocery store and you can trust me your goverment money is paying for lots of people on cash benefits of EBT to purchase the cigs. Does that make you feel better
What do I care? If the government cuts off all money for cigarettes, will my tax bill go down? Will I get a refund?

No, so what's the point? It's gonna cost me the same either way.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:01 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
Why not just allow us to deduct gym membership fees for adults and things like dance, karate and sports program fees for our kids? Exercise is a great way to keep our weight under control and has many, many other health benefits as well. It would be easy to prove too. You have proof of the membership, or the Little League fees you paid, etc., so you get a tax deduction for it. Plus it would not be government trying to put restrictions on what we do. They would just be encouraging us to participate in some healthy activities.

Nancy

Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
just because someone has a gym membership doesnt mean they will use it

Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
I would have said "if someone wants to be fat, not my business." But, my country is becoming more and more of a "your business is everyone's business" country. My company-provided insurance went up partially due to all the employees on Lipitor, which in turn is due to a fair amount of them being overweight.

Unfortunately, that is how collective insurance works. They average out the healthy with the unhealthy so it is affordable for the unhealthy.

I would not place a tax. Next thing, they'll be taxing cable/satellite TV since that keeps people glued to their seats and eating chips.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

I would not place a tax. Next thing, they'll be taxing cable/satellite TV since that keeps people glued to their seats and eating chips.
they already do that they are called fcc charges, fees or just tax
or all three

Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 5,948 times
Governor Paterson should back off the soda. It is not the source of the obesity problem. Inferior physical and nutritional education, which of course leads to poor exercise habits and ill-advised diets, are the cause of inflated waistlines. Having a salad with a Coke is far better then a bottle of water to wash down a face full of dirty water dogs. Add walking up the stairs instead of taking the elevator and you’re golden.

Why target soda with an extra tax? Isn’t the sale tax we all pay on all the food we purchase enough of a burden?

I advocate the responsible use of governmental powers, both in taxation and implementation of programs. Why target soda with an extra tax? Isn’t the sale tax we all pay on all the food we purchase enough of a burden? Will a soda tax really do anything to curb obesity?

It offends me that some politician is planning to tax my freedom of choice in the name of a problem he will do nothing to solve. The evaluation of Governor Paterson’s soda tax really comes down to one question. How much of those soda tax dollars will fund physical exercise programs vs. pet projects to keep the politicians in office?

Soda companies, like Coke, are a living piece of Americana. Coca-Cola is an American company that works, unlike some industries that beg our government for a bailout. From the factory workers to the bodega owners, soda companies generate income for people in various communities.

I like Coke as a product and a company. Coca-Cola was the first major American company to be head by a minority, a Hispanic. Next time you admire a Norman Rockwell painting or have your child sitting on Santa's lap, thank Coke. As a charitable company, Coca-Cola has given millions in donations and supplies in times of crisis, like the recent disaster in Haiti. Heck, a man trapped in a collapsed convenience store in Haiti survived thanks to a supply of Coke. The Cold War thankfully was not won with tanks, guns and nukes, but with a cheeseburger and a Coca-Cola.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:21 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVSnyc View Post
Governor Paterson should back off the soda. It is not the source of the obesity problem. Inferior physical and nutritional education, which of course leads to poor exercise habits and ill-advised diets, are the cause of inflated waistlines. Having a salad with a Coke is far better then a bottle of water to wash down a face full of dirty water dogs. Add walking up the stairs instead of taking the elevator and you’re golden.

Why target soda with an extra tax? Isn’t the sale tax we all pay on all the food we purchase enough of a burden?

I advocate the responsible use of governmental powers, both in taxation and implementation of programs. Why target soda with an extra tax? Isn’t the sale tax we all pay on all the food we purchase enough of a burden? Will a soda tax really do anything to curb obesity?

It offends me that some politician is planning to tax my freedom of choice in the name of a problem he will do nothing to solve. The evaluation of Governor Paterson’s soda tax really comes down to one question. How much of those soda tax dollars will fund physical exercise programs vs. pet projects to keep the politicians in office?

Soda companies, like Coke, are a living piece of Americana. Coca-Cola is an American company that works, unlike some industries that beg our government for a bailout. From the factory workers to the bodega owners, soda companies generate income for people in various communities.

I like Coke as a product and a company. Coca-Cola was the first major American company to be head by a minority, a Hispanic. Next time you admire a Norman Rockwell painting or have your child sitting on Santa's lap, thank Coke. As a charitable company, Coca-Cola has given millions in donations and supplies in times of crisis, like the recent disaster in Haiti. Heck, a man trapped in a collapsed convenience store in Haiti survived thanks to a supply of Coke. The Cold War thankfully was not won with tanks, guns and nukes, but with a cheeseburger and a Coca-Cola.
I agree that sodas should not be the only one's targeted, and I think that is where these bills collapse, b/c if you're going to tax coke, why not others such as welch's grape juice? (8 oz. cup has 150 calories and about as much sugar as an 8 oz. cup of coke which by the way has just 100 calories). Granted, grape juice has some 'healthy' aspects to it such as antioxidants and vitamin C, and coke not so much, but still begs to question, where do you draw the line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness