U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,230,832 times

Advertisements

Fat tax offers another way to fight obesity by raising the price of fatty and unhealthy foods
HowStuffWorks "Fat Tax"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,855,551 times
If people were forced to pay for their own healthcare, out of their own pockets, they would make wiser lifestyle choices. In general, people who are grossly obese do pay more for everything from clothes to food (more of it), to health insurance.

The problem with "sin taxes" is leaving it to government to legislate what is a "sin" to be taxed. It is the same conundrum as leaving the fox in charge of the hen house.

Why are people able to purchase chips and soda with government food stamps? Why do prisoners at Gitmo get served more nutritional meals than students attending public schools?

Whenever you leave something up to the government it costs more than it should and the ramifications of unintended consequences are worse than the initial problem.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM

502 posts, read 1,079,754 times
Meh.....might work, maybe not. Perhaps some other posters have insight into if this worked or not for cigarettes.

I'd prefer a tax credit or being able to use my FSA account with regards to choosing healthy food. Eating healthily can be quite expensive for many American families.

Most folks respond to incentives rather than "fines."

Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 AM

92 posts, read 446,338 times
Believe it or not, it is possible to become fat while never eating the foods that might be subject to a "fat tax." And the heaviest consumers of such foods (young men ages 18-25) are not necessarily the fattest.

Such a tax might be a revenue generator, but I doubt that it would significantly change the number of fat tax payers.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,908,719 times
Bad idea. Obese parents with obese kids will simply cut back on the good food so they can afford the comfort foods.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,034,362 times
The nanny state marches on!

For all the rabid anti-smoker crowd out there, get ready! Here it comes! What was done to us will soon be done to you.

Wonder how enthusiastic you'll be when the health nuts get after something you like?

And, don't worry. The health-Nazi's have learned their lessons well, with your support, and a fat tax won't be the last you hear from them...unless you stand up and say, "ENOUGH!"

Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,338,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Why are people able to purchase chips and soda with government food stamps?
This has always been a pet peeve of mine!! I'll see the people in front of me with cookies, chips, soda, ice cream, etc. whip out their food stamp debit card to pay. Not only do we the taxpayers fund their junk food addictions, but then eventually we the taxpayers will be footing the bill for their Medicaid costs when they get diabetes, are obese, and numerous other health issues.

I have no problem with the concept of helping a single mom out w/her food or anyone who is down and out and needs some help getting groceries, but for God's sake, put restrictions on it! Instead our government gives no incentive to people utilizing that service to get off of the food stamps! Then again, we all know there are plenty of lobbyists that get their way, and I'm sure Coke, Pepsi, Frito-Lay, Little Debbie, etc. would have a fit if they were 'restricted' from food stamps being that I think about 20-25% of the population is on them, and they probably account for 40-50% of those company's sales! I'm not saying I don't buy a 12-pack of coke or a bag of chips ever, but when I do, it's w/my own money!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,405,273 times
Buckeye and lifelongMOgal - I am right with you there. I know WIC puts serious restrictions on foods. But I never understood how someone could be allowed to buy ice cream and not toilet paper with food stamps. Of course, that would be the lobbies because anytime they come up with a program they make sure some big company will profit.

I never took WIC - we qualified back when I had my kids but they wanted me to buy formula instead of breastfeed so no go. I think they are better now.
---

I dont think a food tax would be a good idea...if Reagan could say catsup was a vegetable, you know what kind of nonsense will get used to say what is bad and what is good. .put good food into the schools not pizza and fries and sodas.....make incentives for the kids to eat healthy .....make it a neat thing to do. If you give the kids meatloaf and overcooked mushy vegetables you don't want that in the trash which is where i remember most horrid school food going.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,222,930 times
I am laughing.. I saw this coming a long time ago and warned about it and everybody laughed at me. I also heard they are going to add a tax on soda's, something like a "sin tax"?

The rules are changing folks. Even the Coast Guard are changing their qualifications for those who want a Masters License to include weight and health requirements and it will NOT stop there. Even my own company required me have a very detailed rough physical and I am only a cook..

The day is coming, get in shape or get FIRED! Times are changing.. BIG TIME!

Discrimination being against the law is going out the window. It is NOT against the law to discriminate against smokers, the obese and overweight are next. It will not stop there!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM

725 posts, read 1,321,732 times
There should be some honest education on the matter of nutrition. It should be taught in schools starting with pre-K.
They should also teach kids to have a healty body image in their minds.

And MSG should be totally banned. It is a Poison.

http://http://www.msgexposed.com/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness