U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM

188 posts, read 432,525 times
Default UTI in elderly (women) - or is it a stroke?

Hi all.

My 80 yr old mother was just admitted to the hospital because she was not talking, her eyes were glassy looking and she was babbling, although she is able to understand directions and seems alert (if that makes sense)..

Hospital did a Cat Scan and said they found no signs of a stroke. Do they need to do an MRI to really identify if it was a stroke?

Question: Can a UTI in a senior/elderly women create a 'babbling' side effect? or is there a possibility that this really is a stroke? (she has had several small mini strokes over the last few years, and she does have a slight dementia (and memory loss)

PS.. She is incontinent, and this is the 2nd time she has been admitted to a hospital for UTI.. Now living in an assisted living community though, we thought that she would have less of a chance for UTI.. guess'd wrong!

thoughts and helpful - gratefully appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,915,559 times
What in younger people are simple UTIs can evolve into life-threatening infections. Older people often aren't able to articulate their discomfort. The elderly have a diminished immune response and any fever can certainly cause a patient who already has some jeopardized blood flow to the brain to appear really demented.

So, yes, this all CAN be due to a UTI.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 PM

3,385 posts, read 7,748,578 times
My elderly incontent mother has had seizure type events with a UTI. We know they are not true seizures because she is alert and oriented right after. She is a stroke survivor and cannot articulate her problems but we know that is the first thing to check for when this happens.

I cannot comment on the level of care [or not] in a facility. We paid good money to put my mom in the best nursing home in our area and it was apalling. IT was temporary; fortunately we were able to bring her home with us bit it has been hard.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 AM

16,136 posts, read 29,204,015 times
My mother hallucinated when she had a UTI. Good staff know that is the first thing to check for when behavior changes. Unfortunately, the "catch" doesn't always grow out a bacteria if it's done early in the infection. A second sample is necessary then.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,854,293 times
Being dehydrated can cause hallucinations and other weird behaviors. Dehydration can cause UTI's. Something to think about...

Old 01-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Being dehydrated can cause hallucinations and other weird behaviors. Dehydration can cause UTI's. Something to think about...
No, dehydration does NOT cause UTIs. It causes concentrated urine (if your kidneys are healthy), but it does NOT produce UTIs.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:29 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,854,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
No, dehydration does NOT cause UTIs. It causes concentrated urine (if your kidneys are healthy), but it does NOT produce UTIs.

That's not what my doctor has told me.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM

But if you are not flushing out your bladder enough with frequent urination doesn't that tend to create an environment favorble for the growth of bacteria so the dehydration indirectly causes the problem?

It a bad set up for my mother. Can't do cranberry juice on coumadin. Leaks urine all the time so even with changes every 2 hours, she is sitting in it. We do the best we can with hygeine but it is a struggle.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:23 PM

That's true. The longer urine sits in the bladder the higher the likelihood that bacteria from the external environment can invade. But incomplete bladder empyting is also implicated in recurrent UTIs. Dehydration, in and of ITSELF, does NOT cause infections. Bacteria do. Even if someone is dehydrated, voiding frequently will decrease the chance of a UTI.

And a Foley catheter is the kiss of death. It should ONLY be used if a caretaker needs to know the volume of urine produced. It should NOT be used for the convenience of caretaking staff. As an infectious diseases physician, when I took care of patients, this made me CRAZY.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Why would someone use a catheter for convenience? It is like a bacterial highway. I thought you only use a catheter if the bladder could not void or maybe post surgery [my experience] until you are ambulatory again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness