Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times

Advertisements

i dont know whats going on with me, but ever since i moved from LA to NYC, i have been getting sick at least once a month with cold/fever symptoms.

before the move when i was in LA, i had gone for almost 8 continuous months without having fallen sick at all! so i dont know whats going on, but here are the things that have changed in my life, which i think might in some way be responsible, but im not sure:

1) as i stated, moved from LA (warm weather) to NYC in late october of 2009 - could it be the cold weather here in NYC??
2) got my own place here in NYC - i do keep the windows closed all the time, could that be causing some problem?
3) i've been going out alot more - to bars and such, at least 3 - 4 times a week, but i usually dont stay out late and i'm home by midnight or 1 am
4) maybe i'm not getting enough sleep?? i get abt 7 - 8 hrs a night
5) i do wash my hands often and keep them clean.
6) stress?? its a new job, new city, living on my own for the first time. could it be stress induced??

i cant think of anything else really, but i cant keep falling sick like this!! any suggestions? what can i do to strengthen the immune system!

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Any mold/mildew issues in your new home?
New materials? New carpet? etc.?
And washing your hands isn't the key point although it's definitely a good practice ... keeping your hands away from your face (mucous membrane contact ... eyes, nose, mouth) is key as it's almost impossible to have germ free hands 100% of the time so if you get in that practice of avoiding face contact, you don't need to get crazy neurotic about clean hands.
But again, it's a good practice especially when you're out and about a lot.
You're also dealing with a radical weather / temperature change.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-29-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
i dont know whats going on with me, but ever since i moved from LA to NYC, i have been getting sick at least once a month with cold/fever symptoms.

before the move when i was in LA, i had gone for almost 8 continuous months without having fallen sick at all! so i dont know whats going on, but here are the things that have changed in my life, which i think might in some way be responsible, but im not sure:

1) as i stated, moved from LA (warm weather) to NYC in late october of 2009 - could it be the cold weather here in NYC??
2) got my own place here in NYC - i do keep the windows closed all the time, could that be causing some problem?
3) i've been going out alot more - to bars and such, at least 3 - 4 times a week, but i usually dont stay out late and i'm home by midnight or 1 am
6) stress?? its a new job, new city, living on my own for the first time. could it be stress induced??

i cant think of anything else really, but i cant keep falling sick like this!! any suggestions? what can i do to strengthen the immune system!

thanks!
What are you eating? Moving is a huge stress on the system and consuming alcohol can certainly impact your vitamin levels, but your diet is very important in maintaining a strong immune system.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
I'm not trying to scare you, but this could be a sign of a immune malfunction- HIV or certain cancers (like leukemia, which affects disease fighting white blood cells). You should see a doctor. Your body's ability to maintain itself could have been compromised by something serious.

Or it might just be all the germy people in the bars. Alcohol can decrease your immune response too!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Also, it is VERY unusual for an adult to get a fever. Kids get fevers every time they get a sniffle. Adults get fevers with severe flu, or major disease processes. We don't get fevers from colds very often.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Also, it is VERY unusual for an adult to get a fever. Kids get fevers every time they get a sniffle. Adults get fevers with severe flu, or major disease processes. We don't get fevers from colds very often.
That's not true, sorry. Adults get febrile with colds (upper respiratory infections). All the time. The reason most people are sicker in the winter is that they're indoors and thus are more commonly exposed to viruses that others bring with them.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post

thanks!

I lived in LA and I was in NYC not too long ago and the two places are a WORLD apart.

NYC is dirty and grimy! Also, the people are more cramped together surround by tons and tons of dirty black chewing gum stained concrete. And what about public transportation, do you ride it? If so just know that people throw up and poop/pee pee in the seats and also homeless people who can't clean themselves routinely sleep on the seats you sit on.

Regardless, it appears to me that you need to lay off the clubs and eating out so you can spend time resting up and slowing acclimatizing your body to the NYC environment that is not as open and spread out like California. A basic vital systems check up at the Dr. wont hurt either.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
You are in a new area with new germs.

The heat tends to dry out the air and that may make you more susceptible as your nasal passages dry out and can't fight. i like moisturizing and cleaning with a sinus rinse like Neil med.

The partying is probably not so good.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
What are sick with? The same thing happened to me when I moved East, it turned out to be allergies. Because I didn't take medication, the allergies would get so bad I would get sinus infections once a month.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times
its usually just irritated/sore throat, runny nose...accompanied by a slight fever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness