U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:47 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,770,222 times

Advertisements

I need to vent. Has anyone else had a dr. that performed unnecessary procedures on them (OB/GYN type) and had issues over it?

I mentioned a while back that I had to have sonograms every so often due to fibroid tumors. Well, thanks to bleeding that I shouldn't be having, she bumped up my sonogram from June 15 to tomorrow (May 30) and thinks that I may have to have a biopsy done. The issue is, thanks to the procedures this quack did on me when I was young and didn't know better, I may have to go to the hospital to have the biopsy done, instead of the office, because there's so much scarring on my cervix I wouldn't be able to handle the pain and would have to go under anesthesia. I'm so ticked right now if I ran across this idiot, I'd slug him. He's already lost his license to practise in not one hospital but two, thanks to this wonderful habit of doing unnecessary crap on unsuspecting women.

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,843,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I need to vent. Has anyone else had a dr. that performed unnecessary procedures on them (OB/GYN type) and had issues over it?

I mentioned a while back that I had to have sonograms every so often due to fibroid tumors. Well, thanks to bleeding that I shouldn't be having, she bumped up my sonogram from June 15 to tomorrow (May 30) and thinks that I may have to have a biopsy done. The issue is, thanks to the procedures this quack did on me when I was young and didn't know better, I may have to go to the hospital to have the biopsy done, instead of the office, because there's so much scarring on my cervix I wouldn't be able to handle the pain and would have to go under anesthesia. I'm so ticked right now if I ran across this idiot, I'd slug him. He's already lost his license to practise in not one hospital but two, thanks to this wonderful habit of doing unnecessary crap on unsuspecting women.

Thanks for listening.

An endometrial biopsy is not a painless procedure to have in any circumstance even without scarring on the cervix. I'll be thinking of you, NMS - I hope all goes well.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks, Mary. SHe never said it was painless, just that, for me, it would be more painful than most. I'll fill you in tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,715,843 times
NMS I'm sorry that you are going through this. I have this fear of surgical procedures so when somebody tells me I have to get something done (which hasn't really happened to me) I freak out. I took me 5 years to get my wisdom teeth pulled!! Best to you and I'll be thinkin' about ya.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:06 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
I hope all goes well, I have several fibroid tumors myself, but they don't cause me any problems.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:13 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,886,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I hope all goes well, I have several fibroid tumors myself, but they don't cause me any problems.
I read what you said about your tumors and was wondering if your Dr. told you to wait until menopause and they will shrink? I have one that is about 10cm. and another small one. It does cause occasional cramping and hurts to press on it but other than that, no biggy. Just hate that it is there at all.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:22 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,188,178 times
To the OP, my brother is a dr. He mentioned that many women needlessly are having surgery recommended by OB/gyns. This includes hysterectomies, which are performed too routinely even when not indicated.

Good luck with the surgery and please research who is performing it.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Status: "Invisible cats keep you up at night" (set 18 hours ago)

9,761 posts, read 21,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
To the OP, my brother is a dr. He mentioned that many women needlessly are having surgery recommended by OB/gyns. This includes hysterectomies, which are performed too routinely even when not indicated.
This has been going on since the 80's and before. It's good profit for the doctor to perform these procedures.
I was told once long ago that I needed a hysterectomy for unusual bleeding that lasted over a month and half. I left that doctors office and never went back. The bleeding stopped on it's own and it never came back. Probably out of fear. lol

Old 05-30-2007, 04:33 AM

Hi, puffle. Thanks. I'm in perimenopause and she thinks that my ovaries are kicking in once in a great while still. The fibroids haven't grown in a year or so, but a new one cropped up, and it's fairly close to the uterine wall. She thinks it may be irritating the wall and that's what's causing the bleeding.

We haven't brought up hysterectomy yet. I've been reading about all sorts of new procedures that circumvent that when fibroids are involved, and I'll definitely be discussing those with her. From what I've seen of this med. group, they aren't ones to jump into cutting women up, unlike my original dr. But we've been monitoring these for a couple of years now, and I'm looking forward to getting some sort of resolution, especially at this stage of my life.

Thanks for the support and the suggestions, all. I have my appt. early this afternoon and will check back in. You don't know how much it means to be able to share this with you and get your feedback. It's a big help.

**cyber hugs**

Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,496,856 times
NMS my mother's doc put her on birth control (at 56 lol) for her tumors and bleeding which worked wonders! Another friend (41) chose hysterectomy route but leaving her ovaries as she will have no more children.

Back to the original topic I ALMOST had a hysterectomy @ 32 because of cervical dysplasia that kept coming back. I was a wreck! I had no insurance and had never had a child so I was completely distraught over that one. I never had the surgery and here we are 4-5 years and 1 child later w/no dysplasia! A second opinion is always the best bet!

Good luck my dear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness