U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 07:56 AM

27,996 posts, read 46,359,104 times

Advertisements

DENVER - An Atlanta attorney quarantined with a dangerous strain of tuberculosis apologized to his fellow plane passengers in an interview aired Friday, and insisted he was told he wasn't contagious or a threat to anyone.

"I've lived in this state of constant fear and anxiety and exhaustion for a week now, and to think that someone else is now feeling that, I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way. It's awful," Andrew Speaker told ABC's "Good Morning America" from his hospital room in Denver.

Sitting in street clothes but speaking through a face mask, he repeatedly apologized to the dozens of airline passengers and crew members now anxiously awaiting their own test results because of the exposure to him.

Upgrade Browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:24 PM

284 posts, read 1,541,651 times
It's all well and good that he apologized, but how much good is his apology going to be if he infected someone who ends up dying from the TB because he didn't change his wedding and honeymoon plans? What if he spread it around the world? What educated person thinks TB isn't contagious? Does anyone really believe his explanation? Did he think his doctors advised him not to fly twice just because they were being mean? Things just don't add up! I still don't understand the father-in-law's role in this situation. Why didn't he advise the guy not to travel? If the fil knew the situation in advance, perhaps he should lose his job just as the border patrol guard lost his. Employees of the CDC have a responsibilty to protect the public. If a policeman sees a crime going on when he is off duty, he still has an obligation to act -- just as a trusted member of the CDC should! I think this is so serious that if it is proven that the guy ignored orders (as it appears that he did), he should face criminal charges or at least have to pay civil damages to the people and govt's affected by his actions! Is he paying for everyone's testing? Is our govt. paying for his quarantine? I think the world is owed several more explanations. Our government should make an example of him, so other people think twice before repeating his "mistake".

Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
I don't believe his apologies at all, he might be sorry but its for getting caught not what he did.

In my opinion, he is a arrogant lawyer who thinks his needs come before everyone else (not like we have never heard this before)...He knew better, he has a relative who works for the CDC who should be investigated for his role in this whole matter...don't medical people have a responsibility to think of the public above an individual? This man who works for the CDC should have done something to stop him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or