U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:03 PM

13,573 posts, read 21,722,776 times

Advertisements

Most of the health nuts I know are sick..I eat anything I want, ignore the food police and am healthy as can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 12:09 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,069,974 times
I don't mind when people who are real friends express concern about my diet. I know how unhealthy it is to have my fast food lunch at my desk everyday. Folks who issue blanket statements and are so much holier-than-thou about their health diets (i.e.: food police) are a real pain in my roids. I have real heartache with those who attempt to push their religions (LDS, vegetarianism, left-wing liberal politics, whatever stripe you care to paint in here) to those who haven't solicited their input. JMO as always.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,532,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Why are many health nuts just that? Nuts!? I work with a guy who likes to make it well known that he will not have ANY sugar and looks down on people who eat non-healthy foods. I've met other people throughout my life who look down on people who eat foods like donuts, candy or simply not so healthy stuff.

One of the women in my office brought in 12 boxes of breakfast coffee cakes and donuts because her bf is a vendor and usually has lots of leftovers. Good for us! But the one co-worker made snide remarks at all the sugar and was just a jerk. I go around offering different candies and whatever if I bring some in, as I like to share. I always include him because I don't like to leave anyone out. Well not gonna offer the guy anything anymore.

This morning was my breaking point. He walked up to me with a bag of apples and said in a snotty tone "want an apple?" Fortunately I don't like apples. I just walked away. He had the "cat ate the mouse" smirk on his face.

Also known as our resident conspiracy theorist, this guy believes there is a conspiracy out there with all the food companies and health care providers. Unhealthy foods + crooked health insurance companies = fatter Americans and wealthier insurance companies.

I'm going nuts!! Think I'm gonna get a donut and mocha! Crud, I'm eating healthier foods now too, guess I'll grab a carrot stick (but I'll slather it with ranch dressing!!)
That sounds REALLY annoying and me not being the most subtle person in the world would have to have a word with him...

Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
Quote:
Why are many health nuts just that? Nuts!? I work with a guy who likes to make it well known that he will not have ANY sugar and looks down on people who eat non-healthy foods. I've met other people throughout my life who look down on people who eat foods like donuts, candy or simply not so healthy stuff.
Sounds like Health is his Religion. The majority of religious nuts I meet act just like that. Any religion but theirs is not healthy and if you are of those (or no) religions than you are looked down upon. I have it on good authority, from multiple sources, that I am going to burn forever in Hell because I'm not a Believer.

Quote:
Also known as our resident conspiracy theorist, this guy believes there is a conspiracy out there with all the food companies and health care providers. Unhealthy foods + crooked health insurance companies = fatter Americans and wealthier insurance companies.
True.

Its also true that at one time the record companies (remember 45's and LP's) were in cahoots with the makers of stereos. If you are old enough you will recall that the tracks on those were always of a different loudness so you invariably had either turn it up or down depending. This action accelerated the wearing out of the knobs on the player, requiring you to replace them at an increased rate. The record companies got a percentage of all sales.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM

548 posts, read 2,434,134 times
I eat super healthy, almost all organic, etc. but I don't ever try to push it on anyone (except my children LOL).

But...I find this thread funny in another way. So...here are a bunch of healthy eaters who probably really believe (as I do) that eating healthy is important. Very important. And that it will make a difference in quality and length of life. So they want to share that information b/c they want to HELP you. Again, for the record, I don't do this. I figure everyone can figure out what they want to do for themselves. Yet...some of the people saying they are NUTS are the same ones as people who believe that when you "know Jesus" or whatever they believe, that you MUST share it b/c you can HELP.

Ironic.

I don't want to hear people preach about God, or health food, or anything else. Mention it in conversation? Sure thing. Live their own life a certain way? Sure thing. But a dedicated person of (insert: vegetarianism, veganism, Chrisitianity....whatever) who is trying to spread the word is just a NUT to those who don't want to hear it.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,351,040 times
Quote:
I don't want to hear people preach about God, or health food, or anything else. Mention it in conversation? Sure thing. Live their own life a certain way? Sure thing.
But some can't avoid preaching for whatever reason if their life depended on it.

On the flip side, there are people who take offense even if you are just talking about yourself and not them. Liz

Old 06-01-2007, 12:48 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,087,419 times
Hand in hand with the health nuts are those people who think there is only one size and shape for the human body. They just assume that anyone who does not fit the proper mold eats unhealthy food, doesn't exercise, and is an overall sloth.

Some people do all the right things and still don't have the perfect body! The only thing I have found to help me is the "Eat Right for Your Type" book that bases dietary needs on blood type. I am not supposed to eat chicken or soy or tomatoes. I can have white sugar and white flour. I'm to stay away from all the "healthy" whole grain products. My body sure doesn't like conventional wisdom, so I wish people would quit being so judgmental 'cause not everyone is the same!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 PM

688 posts, read 2,602,687 times
LOL! The more butter, salt, cream and pork fat to make a meal, the better in my eyes! Just make sure to exercise!!!!!!! Just kidding, I don't make all my food that way, but I don't exclude it either. I grew up this way, and so if I were to deprive myself of what I know tastes so darn good, I would then be NUTS!

Have a Happy Day!
LuLu

Old 06-01-2007, 12:57 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,048,237 times
I find this thread hilarious because I just came back from a lunch with a couple of friends and their "friends". Now I am a 5'2, 120 lb little girl and I eat plenty healthy most of the time but when I'm out at a restaurant, I"m not going to nitpick about how much butter they put in my lasagna. One of my friend's friends is a super snobby healthy nut and when I ordered the fettuccine alfredo, she looked at me with a look of utter disgust and said, "That's a lot of carbs and butter. Did you know carbs all go to your thighs?" I found this funny because she's about a good 30 lbs heavier than I was so I reached across the table for a nice, refined-starch roll and stuffed it in my mouth saying "Nom nom nom nom nom". And then I looked at her and grinned

Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,971,907 times
lulu
I bet you make real biscuts nice big fluffy biscuts don't you.
This is one thing I wish I knew how to make.
I am a very picky eater and I am always hearing how I should eat veggies, salads and seafood. It doesn't matter how many times I say "I don't care for these foods" people say "you should eat them anyway"
Then they wonder why I won't go to their house or to a restruant to eat with them. It is too tiring

karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or