U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 AM

3,570 posts, read 7,930,927 times

Advertisements

Why are many health nuts just that? Nuts!? I work with a guy who likes to make it well known that he will not have ANY sugar and looks down on people who eat non-healthy foods. I've met other people throughout my life who look down on people who eat foods like donuts, candy or simply not so healthy stuff.

One of the women in my office brought in 12 boxes of breakfast coffee cakes and donuts because her bf is a vendor and usually has lots of leftovers. Good for us! But the one co-worker made snide remarks at all the sugar and was just a jerk. I go around offering different candies and whatever if I bring some in, as I like to share. I always include him because I don't like to leave anyone out. Well not gonna offer the guy anything anymore.

This morning was my breaking point. He walked up to me with a bag of apples and said in a snotty tone "want an apple?" Fortunately I don't like apples. I just walked away. He had the "cat ate the mouse" smirk on his face.

Also known as our resident conspiracy theorist, this guy believes there is a conspiracy out there with all the food companies and health care providers. Unhealthy foods + crooked health insurance companies = fatter Americans and wealthier insurance companies.

I'm going nuts!! Think I'm gonna get a donut and mocha! Crud, I'm eating healthier foods now too, guess I'll grab a carrot stick (but I'll slather it with ranch dressing!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 AM

536 posts, read 1,099,263 times
i hate people like that too. i mean i try to eat healthy as much as i can but even if i was a complete health freak i would never try to push that view on anyone..if ppl want to eat crap..its their choice, so it shouldnt affect him one bit what other people do

Old 06-01-2007, 08:53 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Theyre nuts because they dont have anything in their life probably. I find that alot with vegitarians, they replace emptyness with healthyness and try and push it on other people.

My sister is a veg head for whatever reason, but she has no problem cooking meat, and cooks the best Turkey for Christmas youll ever have, and she hasnt tasted one in 18 years! Shes what id class as a "Stable Vegetarian".

On the other hand i worked with a nutjob at work who always bitched about me eating meat, would always ask me to stop eating them because of all the suffering it went through yada yada yada. I told him one day the only suffering theyre going through is because youre eating all his grass and starving him, that was the last time i saw him.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,116,254 times
Hey, Hoosier, nice to see you, it's been a while!

Anyway, back to topic.....I've been trying to eat healthier and have 17 fewer pounds on me because of it, but I still have my sugar. Gawd, how boring would that be without sugar???

Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Health nuts ARE nuts, just like you said. LOL Its great to be passionate about something, but to look down on other people is rude. Everyone dies, might as well eat what you want, right? LOL They just dont know what theyre missing.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Health nuts are annoying but the FOOD Police are even worse.

Tell someone you are on a diet or have a certain condition (like diabetes) and almost everything that gets put in your mouth receives the comment "are you sure you should be eating that" said in a FAKE concerned voice. Liz

Old 06-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,116,254 times
LOL... You're right!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:53 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
heehee
I can be somewhat annoying that way, I actually *like* salad and whole wheat bread and am not big on dessert--yet I realize that nothing should be a "forbidden fruit." I am certainly not a food fetishist. I mean, I could get hit by a truck tomorrow, so I'd better have that flourless chocolate cake today.
My husband always says that people who are food ascetics are skinny because, as everyone knows, health food tastes like s***.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM

13,385 posts, read 21,937,040 times
The next time healthnut comes up to you with some snarky comment, you could mention to him that perhaps the fact that he's depriving his body of sugar is making him turn into a neurotic and anti-social jacka**. If he scoffs, you can tell him that the brain cannot function without carbs, which is what sugar is.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 AM

800 posts, read 3,956,432 times
I sympathize and believe me, I relate. Healthy people can be as prosletyzing as some religious people, you know I'm always amazed that food can be as dividing to discuss as politics, religion or sex. It's just food, for goodness sakes, I want to yell out LOL

Did I mention that I'm a health nut?

Before you write me off as crazy, I just want to assure you that I don't believe in pushing my beliefs on anyone. I believe in everything in moderation, including moderation. I also don't like to judge anyone for anything. I like to see people enjoying themselves in what way works best for them I always smile to watch my 3 year old nephew eating a popsicle...He's happy and it brings me happiness Just to give you an example.

But, it works both ways. Please don't judge. Not all of us health nuts are really crazy or judgmental. I had to become healthy for a serious health condition. I had my wake up call when I was 21 and had pre-cancer. Then, when I was 26, I was diagnosed with two severe autoimmune conditions, as well as severe food allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. I was really sick for many years. I gave up my dream of going to law school. I also was a successful amateur athlete at the time and well, I had to quit because of my health crises.

I refused to accept that I wouldn't live a full life, so I made my own health my quest. I experimented with diets, supplements, bodywork, yoga...everything from A-Z. I've recently added up my receipts since 1998 for all of my health stuff and well, I stopped at $60,000. I sacrificed a lot, but today, I'm happy to report that I'm very healthy and very happy.

My life is full and very fun. I'm so blessed that I was given a couple of second chances. It's nice now to only have to sleep 7-8 hours a day versus the 14-18 hours I used to sleep. And, I have energy I can follow my life purpose. I can make it up the stairs without nearly passing out from exhaustion. Yes, it was that bad for me...I am not exaggerating.

I don't go around trying to 'convert' people to be healthy or to eat healthy. I am more about loving others and trying to be as loving as I can. And, to me, it's more about intention...If you believe a food is harmful, it will be harmful for you

I leave 5 percent in my diet for things I enjoy like dark chocolate, a glass of wine, Thai food, etc. I do these on special occasions. It works well for me. I even cook meat for my family and friends. I make great salmon and steaks, even though I don't eat them I enjoy making others happy

The nice thing is that we're all different and not one diet or way of eating works for everyone, so you can enjoy life in the way that works for you. To me, that is freedom

So, enjoy what makes you happy

Hugs,
L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or