U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:41 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,919,699 times

Advertisements

My wife prefers female because male doctors freak her out. I prefer female doctors because in my little world they seem to actually listen and care. Customer service goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 PM

6,655 posts, read 18,704,157 times
Very good question. Do believe the nature of the visit will determine which gender would be preferred.

My case is with the VA hospital...had two visits for Urology and it was with Female Residents and a little strange (as a male) discussing a male problem...and she says "bend over for a Prostate check". First one says "I'll be gentle with you"...she was young and pretty...need I go on.

They are all professionals and medically trained...makes NO difference with me...she can be my Primary Care doctor anytime.

Steve

Old 03-07-2010, 06:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,117,069 times
All my dermatologists have been male.
All my primary care docs have been female.
An ob/gyn I saw about two/three years back is female.

I prefer a female doctor for primary care and gynecology.

Anything else, it isn't a huge deal. I prefer female docs but if I get a male one for a surgery or something, the world won't end. As long as interaction with a male doctor doesn't involve seeing my breasts or examining my private area, it's cool.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM

681 posts, read 1,033,070 times
Male doctor all the way. No female doctor is touching me, don't trust them at all.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM

10,629 posts, read 4,954,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I don't care about gender, I care about quality of care and a demeanour I can interact with well.
For the most part, I agree with this^

I'm female-and have had male drs. that I got along well with and female drs. with whom I did not-but also vice versa.
So it's more about the specific individual (medical professional) and their personality/demeanor, rather than strictly based on gender.

Have only once had male ob/gyn (he was very old), but all the other times I've seen female ob/gyn
(which is what I prefer for that specialty, because it's already way embarrassing to be unclad around some stranger).
My dentist is male, but there is female dentist in same office who I see on occasion as well.
My shrink is female, but her predecessors were male, and I had broad range of reactions to them (some were okay, some not).
My current primary care dr. is female, but the one before that was male.
My choices do kinda' depend on who is available in my location & takes Medicaid, too (slim pickings).

Guess I do lean towards female drs. but that is no guarantee of a good working relationship:
my primary care dr. a decade ago was female but we did not mesh at all, so I never went back to her after our first appt.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,875,333 times
I'm a guy and all my doctors are female. In the past it didn't matter, but now I only go with female doctors. I like them better.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM

15,095 posts, read 31,458,282 times
For a primary physician I suppose a woman would be okay, but for something male related (urology), I prefer a man.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,188,268 times
I usually don't care at all . I actually prefer male Gyno's cause lets face it if anyone cares about a vagina it's gonna be him :-p but ill take whoever is avail as long as I receive the quality if care I expect

Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,083,058 times
I don't care as long as they know what they are doing and have good bedside manner. I used to care when I was younger and only wanted female doctors but now I couldn't care less. My GP and gyno are men. My wound care doc was a man. My dentist is a man. They all are nice and crack me up most of the time....unless they are telling me stuff I don't want to hear.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM

39 posts, read 118,330 times
No female doctor is ever touching me. I've refused to be seen by them twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness