Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 PM

37 posts, read 163,203 times

Advertisements

So I'm scheduled for gallbladder surgery on Tuesday, March 9th, and after talking to my doctor about alternatives, etc, it was decided this will be the best route to go. I have a gallbladder full of large stones, and I've had one other attack before this, so it looks like taking it out will be the best option. I was speaking with a friend about my upcoming procedure, when one of his friends chimed in telling me no, I should not have this done. He stated if I had this done, I will gain 30-80 lbs immediately and I will be on medication the rest of my life. He said beets would solve all my problems and the stones would dissolve if I just kept eating beets. Well, now I'm a little worried. I've been having a hard time losing weight after my pregnancy, and now that I'm being told I will, without a doubt, gain at least 30 lbs, possibly 80 LBS, I'm freaked out. This doesn't make sense to me, though. The GB is only for storing bile, correct? It's your liver that secretes the bile that aids in breaking down fats for digestion, so basically they're just taking away your place to store the bile. Wouldn't that mean more bile would be in your system at once, causing you to breakdown more fat at once? I would imagine maybe after your body leveled out and adjusted, that it would slow down to a normal pace for your body, but it would run like you never had a GB in the first place, wouldn't it? Wouldn't you almost LOSE weight instead of gaining weight?

Has anyone on here had this procedure done, and if so, did yo ugain weight? Are you still stuck on meds? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 PM

55 posts, read 268,177 times
After have many nights with heartburn after eating pizza and other so called fast foods, I had an attack which ended by going to the emergency room with "chest pains". They gave me a nitro pill and said on a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 the worst what is your pain, I said it was 8. The nurse said she'll be back in 10 min. she came back and asked, what is the pain now, I said 10.
But I also said I ate pizza as well as kfc today. Oh she said, take this prylosec(for heartburn) and I'll be back. When she came back I felt fine. But had to stay the night.
The next morning they took a look at my gallbladder and said it was gall stones. It was removed and I'm fine and back to eating everything. NO AFTER EFFECTS and NO wieght gane. So don't listen to whoever is telling you this, YOU WILL BE FINE. GOOD LUCK and don't worry.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
I had my gallbladder removed in 97. No weight gain. Quite the opposite. I went from 210 and chubby to 175 reasonably fit in the next 6 mos.

The weight loss wasn't directly due to the surgery obviously. What happened was first the doctor told me the stones were mostly cholesterol rather than calcium. Second he said the best thing to do to recover from the surgery was to walk a little each day but not to overdo it.

Well, I looked at myself in the mirror and didn't like what I saw. So each hour I walked for a few minutes. Each day I increased the time walking. After about a week I started a walking program that worked with my schedule. I also started eating better.

Everybody's experience is different. There are alternative medicinal methods to treat gallstones. I have a friend who swears you should do a flaxseed oil program & stand on your head periodically. Maybe.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 AM

OKay excellent. I had changed my eating habits a while ago, and recently had a food meltdown (veg night with a girlfriend....girl scout cookies, pizza, popcorn...baaaaadneeeessss). I'm pretty sure that is what brought on my attack. Should I be worried about anesthesia? I've only ever had an epidural, I've never been "under" for anything, so I'm a little nervous. Anyone have any problems? I worry about recovery time because unfortunately (and this may be TMI, so my apologies) but my "time of the month" just hit today...does anyone have any idea if this will affect the surgery in a negative way, or possibly my recovery time??? I was told your immune system drops during this time, so it has me a bit worried. I only have three days of down time before I have to be back to work, and my job is a sit-down call center job, so the stress will be through the roof, but physically I'm not doing anything strenuous. Any more advice?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Listen to your doctor and the people who actually HAD the surgery, not some nut-job who doesn't know what he's talking about (the friend's friend). There's always some fool who heard about someone who had a bad experience, but it's never 1st hand info. I'm sure you will be fine!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
I can't help on having it done, but my doctor is leaning that way with me, so I sympathize. I'm eager to hear the recovery time as the determining factor for me will be how quickly I can get back to work. My office has no one else trained to do my job, so I can't be out.

I agree with SBU though. Listen to the doctor and those that have been there. Your friend's friend sounds like a flake! I did go under for surgery at 5 years old to have tonsils removed and apparently no problems and again to have my tubal ligation after my last pregnancy. The only problem with a sore throat from the tube in my throat when I woke up, so no biggie there. As for your time of the month, I"d just given birth so was bleeding like a stuck pig, but it didn't have any effect. I wouldn't worry about it, other than letting your doctor know so he/she is aware. Just wear an extra big pad that day.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Every operation has risks. Life has risks. If you are having lap. surgery, recovery time is pretty fast.

"I was speaking with a friend about my upcoming procedure, when one of his friends chimed in telling me no, I should not have this done. He stated if I had this done, I will gain 30-80 lbs immediately and I will be on medication the rest of my life. He said beets would solve all my problems and the stones would dissolve if I just kept eating beets. Well, now I'm a little worried."

I've heard the rounds of alternative ideas to gallbladder surgery and I've NEVER heard that beets were a cure. That makes NO SENSE. There are no medications required after surgery. I'd be worried about having such totally uninformed and vocal "friends". I've had mine out for over 6 years and the only pain I experienced afterward was in my wallet because my insurance company denied the claim.

Weight gain or loss - really depends on the person.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Every operation has risks. Life has risks. If you are having lap. surgery, recovery time is pretty fast.

"I was speaking with a friend about my upcoming procedure, when one of his friends chimed in telling me no, I should not have this done. He stated if I had this done, I will gain 30-80 lbs immediately and I will be on medication the rest of my life. He said beets would solve all my problems and the stones would dissolve if I just kept eating beets. Well, now I'm a little worried."

I've heard the rounds of alternative ideas to gallbladder surgery and I've NEVER heard that beets were a cure. That makes NO SENSE. There are no medications required after surgery. I'd be worried about having such totally uninformed and vocal "friends". I've had mine out for over 6 years and the only pain I experienced afterward was in my wallet because my insurance company denied the claim.

Weight gain or loss - really depends on the person.
This is what I figured...they denied the claim? Oh god, really? Who did you have? Please don't say it was United Health Care...

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times
I actually had this procedure done ( laparoscopic cholecystoectomy ) and it wasn't as bad as I first thought. I was out of the hospital the same day I went in....stay was about 5 hours long total. I did not gain or loose any weight and I am not on any meds. I had it taken out in errr...2007 if I recall correctly.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:03 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohoMama2009 View Post
This is what I figured...they denied the claim? Oh god, really? Who did you have? Please don't say it was United Health Care...
Midwest. All things work out. I figure I have cost them four times the amount they would have paid by steering potential customers away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness