U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 1,751,706 times
Reputation: 1536

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with tendonitis today. I thought it was arthristis because a lot of my body aches, but my main problem is my right thumb and my left forearm that feels like pain shooting up. I had aching all over and having these pains. The prtho did nothing but tell me to take tyelnol and maybe in a couple months he may do cortizone injections.
Everything I have read, people don't seem to get relief no matter what they do.

I was on Cirpo for a few months last summer, I saw that it can cause tendonitis, but my foctor didn't seem to think it was the cause. Now I don't know what to do. I guess I am stuck living in pain forever and not knowing why this even happened.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
 
Location: New Zealand and Australia
7,244 posts, read 6,538,632 times
Reputation: 7477
I had tendonitis a few years back. By correcting my form when exercising and by doing the stretching and exercises given to me by my pyhsio I beat it. It did take awhile.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
 
205 posts, read 458,877 times
Reputation: 90
I've got it and it has never gone away. Started in the right elbow several years ago. I saw orthopedic, he said he only gives cortisone shot if REALLY needed (he had given one to a patient recently who had a week-long fly-fishing vacation planned, for example). I believe that eventually the cortisone shots will cause some permanent damage if you get them too often, but I could be wrong. He said you have to change your movement/action. Which I found impossible to do

There should be stretching exercises you can do, I have a booklet from the dr re: stretching for the elbow, if you didn't get anything, you can find it online probably. Interestingly, I had gone to PT before I saw the dr, and he said they were not having me do what I should be doing.

Now, in the last month or so, I've got it in the left elbow also, actually more painful than right side has ever been. I am pretty sure it is from a repetitive movement I've been doing for the last 1 1/2 years with that arm.

I use some creams from the healthfood store at night sometimes but I really don't think they help.

You can try icing it also, that is supposed to help. I know other people that have had it go away, like if they just got it from painting the house or something, then after they finished painting and rested it for awhile, it got better.

I don't think it is out of the question that it's a side effect from Cipro, I'm sure you have read all the info about that drug. I know someone that took similar drug (same family) and she had some immediate health issues (hip pain, etc.) that lasted for about 2 months.

I really don't think Tylenol would help, but I could be wrong. I've always been told to take NSAIDS. But if you have any other health issues, perhaps that is why Dr recommended Tylenol instead.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
 
3,441 posts, read 5,041,935 times
Reputation: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I was diagnosed with tendonitis today. I thought it was arthristis because a lot of my body aches, but my main problem is my right thumb and my left forearm that feels like pain shooting up. I had aching all over and having these pains. The prtho did nothing but tell me to take tyelnol and maybe in a couple months he may do cortizone injections.
Everything I have read, people don't seem to get relief no matter what they do.

I was on Cirpo for a few months last summer, I saw that it can cause tendonitis, but my foctor didn't seem to think it was the cause. Now I don't know what to do. I guess I am stuck living in pain forever and not knowing why this even happened.
If it's tendinitis, I had that in my side leg in what they call, the "IT band". I was able to recover in 3 weeks by stretching out my tendon 3 times a day for at least 30min. I used no medication or injections. Mind you, I got tendinitis by sprinting/running hard so I'm not sure if you over used your hands (Do you work in a factory doing repetitive movements?).

Last edited by Morphous01; 03-08-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
 
3,441 posts, read 5,041,935 times
Reputation: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhnd View Post
I've got it and it has never gone away. Started in the right elbow several years ago. I saw orthopedic, he said he only gives cortisone shot if REALLY needed (he had given one to a patient recently who had a week-long fly-fishing vacation planned, for example). I believe that eventually the cortisone shots will cause some permanent damage if you get them too often, but I could be wrong. He said you have to change your movement/action. Which I found impossible to do

There should be stretching exercises you can do, I have a booklet from the dr re: stretching for the elbow, if you didn't get anything, you can find it online probably. Interestingly, I had gone to PT before I saw the dr, and he said they were not having me do what I should be doing.

Now, in the last month or so, I've got it in the left elbow also, actually more painful than right side has ever been. I am pretty sure it is from a repetitive movement I've been doing for the last 1 1/2 years with that arm.

I use some creams from the healthfood store at night sometimes but I really don't think they help.

You can try icing it also, that is supposed to help. I know other people that have had it go away, like if they just got it from painting the house or something, then after they finished painting and rested it for awhile, it got better.

I don't think it is out of the question that it's a side effect from Cipro, I'm sure you have read all the info about that drug. I know someone that took similar drug (same family) and she had some immediate health issues (hip pain, etc.) that lasted for about 2 months.

I really don't think Tylenol would help, but I could be wrong. I've always been told to take NSAIDS. But if you have any other health issues, perhaps that is why Dr recommended Tylenol instead.
Yea, you are on the right track. The injections only relieve you from pain and don't address the issue. In fact, it's an old way of trying to fix the problem as I remember people telling me war stories of how in the 80's athletes would pull their hamstrings but take a cortisone shots and go right back into the game like nothing happened.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 1,751,706 times
Reputation: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
If it's tendinitis, I had that in my side leg in what they call, the "IT band". I was able to recover in 3 weeks by stretching out my tendon 3 times a day for at least 30min. I used no medication or injections. Mind you, I got tendinitis by sprinting/running hard so I'm not sure if you over used your hands (Do you work in a factory doing repetitive movements?).

I have 2 little girls. My Doctor said it's common to see this with new mothers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
 
3,441 posts, read 5,041,935 times
Reputation: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I have 2 little girls. My Doctor said it's common to see this with new mothers.
Oh, yea, that makes sense.. Hmmm, sounds to me you need to get stretching and a bit of resistance work to strengthen your forearms and fingers wouldn't hurt either.

Captains of Crush hand grippers and training tools for building hand strength
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
 
3,441 posts, read 5,041,935 times
Reputation: 2319
Forgot to mention, you can't get lazy with tendon rehab, it's not like muscle tissue where if you leave it alone the issue will go away and repair itself. You will need to put in work by stretching even if you don't feel like it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 PM
 
205 posts, read 458,877 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Forgot to mention, you can't get lazy with tendon rehab, it's not like muscle tissue where if you leave it alone the issue will go away and repair itself. You will need to put in work by stretching even if you don't feel like it.
Good point. I have never been diligent about stretching or icing it, but I am trying to do that more lately. So it's possible mine may go away someday if I keep up on daily stretching and icing.

Just be careful about what type of exercises you do, PT had me lifting weights and the dr told me that was NOT helping (which is why PT eventually sent me to the dr...). FYI, I had seen primary first, then PT, then ortho.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: In the real world!
2,169 posts, read 5,521,607 times
Reputation: 2550
I've had it in my right shoulder for about 3 years now and have quit going to the doctor about it. I got the injections twice... 3 sticks each time at the cost of $257 each stick and they only helped for 1 week. I refused anymore after that so he told me when the pain got bad I should take 2 Aleve in the morning when I got up, take 2 Tylenol at lunch, 2 Aleve at supper and 2 more Tylenol and 1 more Aleve at bedtime. THAT was my last visit..

He did tell me that it takes 5 OTC Aleve to equal 1 Rx one but still.... I knew that many in a day would cause me major problems along with 4 Tylenol.

My shoulder has gotten better but at times it wants to flare up so I be more careful with it until it passes. At least I can use that arm now where in the beginning, I couldn't even lift it and the pain kept me awake at night.

I blame my "injury" on statin drugs. I had done NOTHING to that shoulder, just woke up one morning and there it was with no signs or warning of anything being wrong prior to that morning. Statins are known also, to cause tendon damage.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top