U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 AM

4,990 posts, read 9,053,008 times

Advertisements

My friend just came over with her 10 week old grandson...I was reading the ingredients on her powdered baby formula and saw that high fructose corp syrup was the first listed...does this have an implication in the rise of child obesity, do you think??

Have you read any studies or opinions on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM

19,217 posts, read 11,970,153 times
Tell her to switch to raw goat's milk.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,933,421 times
arrrgggghhhhh.
are you kidding?
sorry to be rude but how could a parent be so foolish?
high fructose corn syrup for a 10 week old baby?!!!
and the first ingredient on the list?
it's not only dangerous in terms of obesity.
i'd like to know the name of the company that creates such a formula.
shame on them!
The Double Danger of High Fructose Corn Syrup (http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Double-Danger-of-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup.html - broken link)
send that to her and let's hope she changes formula.
or better yet, switch to breast milk!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Baby's mom had little breast milk, baby doctor recommended this one kind of powdered formula for babies with sensitive digestion, and yes, its #1 ingredient is HFCS...it's from a major manufacturer of baby foods..an internet search I did found only one organic brand of forumla that didn't have HFCS in the top of the ingredient list...this was very surprising to me!!...

Raw goat's milk is a helpful suggestion, but in short supply in our locale..and not too portable..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,933,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Baby's mom had little breast milk, baby doctor recommended this one kind of powdered formula for babies with sensitive digestion, and yes, its #1 ingredient is HFCS...it's from a major manufacturer of baby foods..an internet search I did found only one organic brand of forumla that didn't have HFCS in the top of the ingredient list...this was very surprising to me!!...

Raw goat's milk is a helpful suggestion, but in short supply in our locale..and not too portable..
baby's doctor is a nit wit ... in my opinion of course.
i hope she can afford that organic formula without the hfcs.
i am so surprised that so many formulas have hfcs.
and by the way, does a baby's formula need any added sugar of any kind?
if so, why?
breast milk isn't sweetened.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:47 AM

25,907 posts, read 33,804,267 times
What brand was this? Similac and Enfamil, the two big brands, both list "nonfat milk" and "lactose" as the top two ingredients. No HCFS at all. I don't understand how the first ingredient in powdered milk would not be milk.

Enfamil Lipil with Iron, DHA, and ARA Provides the Nutritional Value Your Baby Needs - Enfamil Lipil With Iron - Epinions.com

Similac Advance: DHA and ARA Fatty Acids Make the Difference - Similac Advance Infant Formula With Iron - Epinions.com

By the way, coyoteskye, breast milk isn't sweetened, but it is sweet. That's why there's sugar in formula. I'm just surprised that HCFS would be used, especially as the main ingredient.

I hope that woman wasn't using powdered coffee creamer or something.

ETA:

I was searching for baby formulas containing HCFS (I'm genuinely curious, not trying to shoot down the OP), and I found this comment on an article about corn syrup:

http://www.parenting.com/article/Bab...rup-in-Formula

It is very difficult to find baby formula ingredients online, so I thought I'd share with all that corn syrup is generally found in soy and lactose-free formulas. So, if you are looking to make sure your formula does not contain HFCS, start with basic milk-based formulas. If your child needs a lactose free formula you may have to find an organic brand.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,158,901 times
Quote:
and by the way, does a baby's formula need any added sugar of any kind?
if so, why?
breast milk isn't sweetened.
I dunno, my latent conspiracy theorist thinks it's a convenient way to influence the palates of infants at the earliest possible point so that they crave all the artificially sweetened junk marketed to children as they get older.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM

I wondered about that theory above, too.

The other answer is that HFCS is a very inexpensive sweetener to use and means higher profits for food manufacturers who use it...and let's not forget that our govt. subsidizes corn growers...see the movie/documentary King Korn for the eye-opening details.

About my friend's formula...I'll have to ask her the brand, but it was milk-free as the baby had problems digesting milk...an no, it was an off-the-shelf powered baby formula, not coffee creamer...

Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM

I think it was this formula, and it's not HFCS, but corn syrup solids--is there a difference? Anyhow, it's got 53.5% total sugar when you add up the corn syrup and the sucrose...

Usage: A soy-based, iron-fortified infant formula with special nutrients found in breast milk, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and ARA (arachidonic acid). A nutritionally complete formula for infants with feeding problems such as fussiness, gas, and spit-up; for infants whose parents choose a non-milk-based formula as a first feeding or as a supplement to breastfeeding. A complete formula for infants with allergy or sensitivity to cow's-milk protein. A feeding for patients with disorders for which lactose should be avoided, including lactase deficiency, lactose intolerance, and galactosemia (Powder preferred).Precaution: Soy formulas are not recommended for preterm infants with birth weights less than 1800 g.

Ingredients: 43.2% Corn syrup solids, 14.6% soy protein isolate, 11.5% high oleic safflower oil, 10.3% sugar (sucrose), 8.4% soy oil, 7.8% coconut oil; Less than 2% of: C. cohnii oil, M. alpina oil, calcium phosphate, potassium citrate, potassium chloride, magnesium chloride, sodium chloride, ascorbic acid, choline chloride, L-methionine, taurine, ascorbyl palmitate, ferrous sulfate, m-inositol, mixed tocopherols, zinc sulfate, d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, L-carnitine, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, cupric sulfate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, vitamin A palmitate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, potassium iodide, phylloquinone, biotin, sodium selenate, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 and cyanocobalamin.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 PM

2,191 posts, read 3,986,024 times
I am 99% sure that all high fructose corn syrup contains corn that is genetically modified. There is no real research being conducted yet on this topic outside of scientists that are bought and paid for by the company genetically modifying corn (Monsanto). All sorts of unknown things could happen to people who routinely eat that crap like food allergies, cancer, and any other plethora of new illnesses over the last decade. Don't believe me though, do some research yourself and let me know how confident you are in eating genetically modified foods such as soy, corn, and wheat. There is documented proof showing that big wig's for Monsanto also shift over from the FDA and vice versa to help pass along legislation to allow the company to modify the entire food industry. Here is a good documentary on what is happening with food in America.

The World According to Monsanto - Full Documentary (http://twilightearth.com/environment-archive-2/the-world-according-to-monsanto-full-documentary/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or