U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM

253 posts, read 426,273 times
Default Best way to stop my period permanently?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to stop my period permanently. I've been thinking about getting a hysterectomy in a few years(I also don't want kids), depo shot, or taking pills. Does anyone know which one might have more pros than cons? Or know of another good way to get rid of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,531,305 times
Your period is a natural way to cleanse your downstairs out and can indicate health problems if its off. Depo shot can thin your bones and BC pills can spread them out but its debatable if they can lead to cancerous issues but definitely carry some health risks.

Why would you want to get rid of it?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,712,956 times
Have you talked to your doctor? How old are you?
If you are young-ish you might think twice about doing anything permanent. IMHO

Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM

253 posts, read 426,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Your period is a natural way to cleanse your downstairs out and can indicate health problems if its off. Depo shot can thin your bones and BC pills can spread them out but its debatable if they can lead to cancerous issues but definitely carry some health risks.

Why would you want to get rid of it?

Because it sucks and makes me miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Have you talked to your doctor? How old are you?
If you are young-ish you might think twice about doing anything permanent. IMHO

Are you talking about an ob/gyn? I don't have one and I don't want one. No one is sticking anything in me, I don't care what disease they're checking for. I'm 16.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM

10,801 posts, read 4,809,661 times
I had an Endometrial Ablation about 7 years ago. I don't believe it always stops periods, like it did for me. If I recall correctly, if you're young it only reduces them. But it's something you could ask your doctor about. No side effects here, just blissful freedom from one week per month of misery and yo-yo iron levels.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM

14,716 posts, read 16,896,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
I'm trying to figure out the best way to stop my period permanently. I've been thinking about getting a hysterectomy in a few years(I also don't want kids), depo shot, or taking pills. Does anyone know which one might have more pros than cons? Or know of another good way to get rid of it?
Depo is good for stopping periods but when I took it I gained 45 pounds in a very short period of time. I have always taken my pills continuously (no placebo/period week). Many years ago I read where the pimps in New York City required their girls to do this so that they did not have any "down" time. Oddly enough, although it might sound like this is a dangerous or bad thing to do, actually, it is quite the opposite. I read online recently, where taking birth control pills without the week break might actually be beneficial in reducing certain kinds of cancers, especially breast cancer. It seems that it is not the estrogen that causes the problem, but rather the FLUCTUATIONS in hormone levels. Therefore, avoiding these fluctuations would be beneficial to you.

Anyway, I can only say that I have never experienced any problems taking my pills non-stop. I used to have really rough periods when I was younger and I did not miss that part one little bit.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 PM

287 posts, read 567,609 times
Well..if you want any sort of BC you will have to subject yourself to an exam. I know they have those pills now that you can only get your period a few times a year, I have heard that they have pretty bad side effects, though. Yes, I would not recommend Depo either, unless you really want to gain weight. Is there really a way to stop it permanently? If so, sign me up lol-that is, besides menopause, lol

Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,941,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Are you talking about an ob/gyn? I don't have one and I don't want one. No one is sticking anything in me, I don't care what disease they're checking for. I'm 16.
At 16 you will not find a doctor that is willing to do something permanent like a hysterectomy. You are too young to make such a life altering decision. I had a friend who was 26 and had 2 kids and her doctor wouldn't do it because she was too young.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 AM

3,385 posts, read 7,748,578 times
If your period is causing specific problems then talk with a doctor.

If it is inconvenient, get over it and accept that you are a woman and letting your body do what it was designed to do is best for it.

You so do NOT need a hysterectomy .... I had to have one at 42 and there are some downsides to it......
--Must do serious lifelong Kegel excercises, the uterus helps hold the bladder in place and loosing it can set you up for future incontinnce. Well all women should do these anyway for this and other reasons.
--the "g" spot is gone and orgasims are there but not as intense
--I had the ovariohysterectomy and was driven into early menopuase.

Besides, no reputable doctor would do this to a young healthy woman.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 AM

41,702 posts, read 46,172,177 times
If you think you hate periods, you have NO IDEA what would happen to your body if you suddenly went into menopause.

You'd be miserable 24/7. It would be like having a permanent period!

Regardless, you won't find a doctor who will give you a hysterectomy.

And there's no way you will get birth control or a hysterectomy without having a pelvic exam.

It's time you grew up and accepted that pelvic exams are part of being a mature, responsible women who takes care of her body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness