Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:11 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
And i'm assuming that you're joking for shaming someone for drinking under the legal age.
Joking? Considering that it is patently illegal and is responsible for thousands of deaths per year due to underage drinking and driving, I would say that I am most certainly NOT joking.

Everyone who is responsible for providing liquor to minors should do hard time as far as I am concerned.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM

50 posts, read 77,352 times
You're drinking too much. Stop focusing on the ounces versus bottles and physical aspects of drinking. First of all, it is a rationalization to drinking when you start looking at the numbers. You have to ask yourself whether things (in memory) come to you instantly, or if you have to think for a moment. The more you drink over the years, the longer that moment becomes.

I'm referring to instant replies, correct spelling and grammar as you type, recalling what you ate for lunch last month on any given day, the lineup of your favorite baseball team, telephone numbers... Also your recollection of first impressions and attention to detail. Can you recall in detail (for example) what everyone in the elevator was wearing on any given day?

If you're still wondering if you're drinking too much, switch to non-alcoholic beer. See how many you still want to drink at one sitting, that is also a good indication of your dependency on alcohol.

Last edited by QuestionThis; 04-02-2010 at 07:49 AM..

Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Joking? Considering that it is patently illegal and is responsible for thousands of deaths per year due to underage drinking and driving, I would say that I am most certainly NOT joking.

Everyone who is responsible for providing liquor to minors should do hard time as far as I am concerned.

20yrsinBranson
yeah well shaming someone isn't my thing.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
I think the amount quoted healthwise is acceptable but will lead to weight gain and some memory loss.

Not to be a Dutch Uncle, but I think you could develop a problem with alcohol. But keep working out, try not to drink alone much and you should be OK. What you don't want is a full blown problem where you have to give it up entirely.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionThis View Post
You're drinking too much. Stop focusing on the ounces versus bottles and physical aspects of drinking. First of all, it is a rationalization to drinking when you start looking at the numbers. You have to ask yourself whether things (in memory) come to you instantly, or if you have to think for a moment. The more you drink over the years, the longer that moment becomes.

I'm referring to instant replies, correct spelling and grammar as you type, recalling what you ate for lunch last month on any given day, the lineup of your favorite baseball team, telephone numbers... Also your recollection of first impressions and attention to detail. Can you recall in detail (for example) what everyone in the elevator was wearing on any given day?

All that happens naturally as we get older and may not be caused by alcohol.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

When you were a teenager, did you feel the same way about it when a "buddy" would buy you some beer or when you'd go see the local retailer who would sell it to you out the back door?

One more thought: A good many of our Veteran's returning from combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq are under 21. We trusted them with automatic weapons in a high stress environment, but we can't trust them with a beer? That's just wrong!

Would I buy one a drink, even knowing he's underage? You bet your azz I would. Should I do hard time for that?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:33 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I'd be careful with a statement like that.
There are many "functional" drunks / alcoholics (i'm not saying the o.p. is one) that are able to do well at work and do not necessarily see that the quality of their life is being negatively impacted.
Addiction is very tricky and objectivity (and being honest with oneself) doesn't often come with the territory.
And i'm assuming that you're joking for shaming someone for drinking under the legal age.
Anyway, i'd suggest to the o.p. that he go a month without any alcohol and see how that goes.

There are many functional drunks and my husband was one for many years but it eventually got worse and amazing it didn't kill us. Really though who wants to go through life just "functioning".

Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, it is.

The key is the rate of alcohol (booze) that you are consuming so as long as you stay at the 2 ounces alcohol (one ounce per beer) then you are doing fine.
When you exceed the 2 ounce mark i.e. 6 drinks all in the same day, then it's time to stop and switch to coffee when you reach for that 3rd beer or drink.

A fella can get a nice warm feeling with 2 beers but if you get a buzz it's time for coffee and NO MORE booze.

I know how hard it can be for a young fella to stop at two when your friends are afloat in booze but you will come out way ahead as the clock clicks off the years. You'll be sticking with a the 2 ounce rule thus promoting your good health and well being while you sadly watch you friends waste away from all the booze they have drunk over the years.

Moderation, moderation , moderation in all that you do.
This is very good advice.

I keep it to a drink an hour with food and water (in the evening).

To keep everyone quiet I order the non-alcoholic beer when out and have filled my 1 per hour rule.

If you can't respect the stuff stay away; or it will ruin your life.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
If I drink on average 12-16 beers a week, then equals at the most 2.29 (rounded) beers a day. Is it much worse that I'm drinking 6 one night and 0 for the next few nights instead of drinking 2 every night?
YES!!!! Do you eat 6 meals some days and none at all the next???? I bet you don't binge eat. They call that bulimia. So don't binge drink, either.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I think the amount quoted healthwise is acceptable but will lead to weight gain and some memory loss..
You're contradicting yourself here. How can soemthing be healthy if it leads to weight gain (something most of us don't need more of) and memory loss???? Doesn't sound healthy to me

I do agree, though, the OP sounds like he might be prone to alcoholism if he isn't an alcoholic already. Better to live without the stuff than to get addicted to it. Even if you can binge drink and still do well at work, etc...it's like Aptor hours said....who really wants to go through life just "functioning"???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness