U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 PM

320 posts, read 880,910 times
Went to my doc this past Monday and brought up this topic, since I have a small spot showing up on one of my toe nails again. I'd been trying the Vick's VapoRub treatment for a while with no success. A few years ago, I went through the same with a big toe and got penlac to brush on twice a day. It worked, but the trick is you really HAVE to be patient. My doc says you don't really "get rid" of the fungus, you just stop it from growing and wait for a new nail to grow out. He wrote me the Rx for penlac just in case I wanted to go it again, but then told me I could just do the same with an application of vinegar a couple of times each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM

7,385 posts, read 7,800,779 times
I"ve been working with mine for awhile and I think my treatment is working--I have a toenail half grown out now. It's a multi-tiered approach--now don't that sound fancy!--first I got a nail sanding kit from the pharma for about $10 and sanded it back til it hurt. Then I got a bottle of rubbing alcohol and soaked pau d' arco tea in it and I brush that into my toenail really good with an old toothbrush, put a drop of teatree on it, then some antifungal cream--right now it's terbifine chloride, 1%. Wish me luck--I've been dealing with this for years.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 AM

1,736 posts, read 742,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Yuck, sounds gross doesn't it? Both of my little toenails have turned thick and white. Does anyone know of a home remedy that really works to get rid of this stuff? There is an expensive one, but I understand it doesn't work on more than half the people, it takes a year, and so on. I've heard vapor rub works, but, I can't get it to stay on my toneails. I'd have to run around barefoot all the time. I tried a bandage loosely over it, but the bandage takes the vapor rub off. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.
I had that for a while, after working on a house and getting a nail through the boot when standing in dirty water.

I dropped by the physician while in the UK, and he prescribed a course of Lamesil or something for it. Cleared it right up. You have to take it untill the nail has grown out completly. It doesnt kill the stuff already there, but completely stopped it from growing, so the natural nail growth eventually expelled it. About 3 months, it took.

I tipped the boss off about it back home, because her husband had the same problem, and it seems to have cleared it right up.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,233,488 times
There are some home remedies that will temporarily make it go away or will ease the symptoms but the best thing to do to kill it for sure is to see your doctor, he will do a blood test and once that test is back he will order a medication. Once the medication has been completed he does the test again. You can't have a refill of the meds without having done the labs. It's a controlled med.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM

5,084 posts, read 5,568,738 times
For fingernails, try this:

soak in a solution of half peroxide, half warm water, and a few drops of baby shampoo. It bubbles out the debris under the nails. then rinse and scrub with an old tothbrush. I found it helps!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:21 PM

7,385 posts, read 7,800,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
There are some home remedies that will temporarily make it go away or will ease the symptoms but the best thing to do to kill it for sure is to see your doctor, he will do a blood test and once that test is back he will order a medication. Once the medication has been completed he does the test again. You can't have a refill of the meds without having done the labs. It's a controlled med.
Cost please? I've not checked it out for myself but have heard that the meds are ridiculously expensive for something that is mainly cosmetic for most of us and can easily be hidden. I've heard over $700 for a course of treatment, not to mention what the doc will charge you, even with insurance. It's no wonder we're all on here discussing folk remedies.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 PM

5,084 posts, read 5,568,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post

The blood test is for liver functions. If its the drug I'm thinking of, Lamasil, it can affect the liver and needs to be monitored. I had it once, it really works, but once you stop taking it the fungus comes right back. I declined another course because of the risk.

Also, there's a lamasil cream, I believe OTC. I really think with time the OTC remedies can work as well, without the potential side effects.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:10 AM

1,736 posts, read 742,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
If its the drug I'm thinking of, Lamasil, it can affect the liver and needs to be monitored. I had it once, it really works, but once you stop taking it the fungus comes right back. I declined another course because of the risk.
I had a course of that once. Cleared the problem right up. You just need to take it untill the infected part of the toenail have grown away. Once there is nothing left of the infected part, the fungus doesn't return.

(Although you can get reinfected from the same source as the first time)

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 AM

2,164 posts, read 5,099,917 times
I heard on the TV just the other day to use Vicks at night and wear cotton socks to bed, making sure to wear clean socks every night..

Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,233,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
The blood test is for liver functions. If its the drug I'm thinking of, Lamasil, it can affect the liver and needs to be monitored. I had it once, it really works, but once you stop taking it the fungus comes right back. I declined another course because of the risk.

Also, there's a lamasil cream, I believe OTC. I really think with time the OTC remedies can work as well, without the potential side effects.
Yes! I couldn't think of it to save my life LOL To the person who asked cost? I honestly don't know. If you don't have insurance it's best to try and ask your doctor over the phone. I work for the military, they don't pay for their healthcare so I have no clue on the cost of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness