U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times

Advertisements

Yuck, sounds gross doesn't it? Both of my little toenails have turned thick and white. Does anyone know of a home remedy that really works to get rid of this stuff? There is an expensive one, but I understand it doesn't work on more than half the people, it takes a year, and so on. I've heard vapor rub works, but, I can't get it to stay on my toneails. I'd have to run around barefoot all the time. I tried a bandage loosely over it, but the bandage takes the vapor rub off. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:58 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Since you are a barefooter...Get it checked out by a pro first to make sure it is fungus. They need to culture it. You can get skin cancer on the toe. (its what killed Bob Marley)

Skin cancer: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Even if you did not expose it to the sun a lot, its still possible and you don't have to be old at all.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Yuck, sounds gross doesn't it? Both of my little toenails have turned thick and white. Does anyone know of a home remedy that really works to get rid of this stuff? There is an expensive one, but I understand it doesn't work on more than half the people, it takes a year, and so on. I've heard vapor rub works, but, I can't get it to stay on my toneails. I'd have to run around barefoot all the time. I tried a bandage loosely over it, but the bandage takes the vapor rub off. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.
The OTC stuff doesn't work. Some people report success with tea tree oil treatments and others swear by soaking your feet in a corn starch solution. I think that these people probably never had toenail fungus to begin with or they are such positive thinkers that they actually succeeded in wishing the fungus away. You can get on prescription anti-fungal medication or you can get the laser treatment. Apparently the laser is extremely, extremely effective and doesn't have the side effects associated with whole body anti-fungal treatment.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,446,580 times
Hi Pitt, I'm not a barefooter. I meant that I would have to walk around barefoot if I used vapor rub on it. I never would have associated skin cancer with this. You sure do know a lot.

Jimbo, I know the OTC meds don't work. However, I have had this on one of my big toes once, and tea tree oil did get rid of it, but, I tried it this time, and it hasn't worked, or I didn't use it for a long enough time. I think I'll try it again for a longer time, and not give up as quickly. I got impatient. The prescription anti fungal med is what I was talking about that doesn't work much either. I had no idea there was a laser treatment for this. I'll check into that.

Thanks you guys.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
They fungus does grow used to the treatment chemical. (Just like roaches.) Whatever you are using can become useless. Try neem next after you get the culture.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
I recently started a thread about this http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...il-fungus.html

I've been using the Tea Tree Oil and, so far, it seems to be working. I bought 100% tea tree oil at a vitamin store and have been applying it daily with a cotton ball (rubbing it on and around the nail) and letting it air dry (takes less than 10 minutes to dry).

Check out the thread --- there are a lot of other remedies mentioned there.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,530,051 times
I read soaking your toes in salted water twice daily really helps. Also a good helper for athlete's foot.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,040,812 times
Doc. told me to soak in white vinegar, it takes awhile, but it does work. (soak your toes in white vinegar every night, half hr. or whatever), eventually, as the nail(s) grow out, you will see improvement.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM

17 posts, read 62,346 times
This was absolutely 100% fool proof for me. Vicks Vapor Rub. Rub it into the toenail and up under the tip of toenail daily (without fail) until the toenail grows completely out fungus free. It takes however long the toenail takes to grow completely out but I promise you it worked for me as well as for my brother in law. Cheap too.
When I first heard of this I thought it sounded crazy. I gave it a try and was so glad I did.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM

889 posts, read 2,307,427 times
Do what there2here said, but do it at night then put socks on. Also, The People's Pharmacy has people write in that soak their toes in amber colored Listerine daily. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness