U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please read the post before choosing an option!
Grab a knife & keep squeezin' the cheese - it has to come out eventually! 0 0%
Leave it alone and hope it goes away (or lessens dramaticly as it has in the past, even if it reoccurs later) 3 20.00%
See a doctor - (please recommend smaller clinics that may specialize in this, rather than a huge scary hospistal) 11 73.33%
Click here to yell at me for not having health insurance. 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times

Advertisements

Most people who have a gripe write a review, most who are happy don't bother. Review of anything are usually skewed to the negative. I would go see the doc with the earliest apt and see what you yourself think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 AM

1,136 posts, read 3,350,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Most people who have a gripe write a review, most who are happy don't bother. Review of anything are usually skewed to the negative. I would go see the doc with the earliest apt and see what you yourself think!
I try to be thoughtful about what reviews are really saying but I have to be careful here to make the best choice. I usually don't mind shopping around but it could cost a lot of money here just to check it out.

There was one written review that a patient was not happy with the care she received and that the doctor seemed apathetic. The rest of the reviews for this doctor were just a tally of number of stars about different aspects of the experience, the were all around 2/5, poor overall.

Maybe there is a reason that it's so easy to get an appt with this type of doctor, they don't have so many patients!

I did see a few very good reviews for the dermo place I am trying to get an appt. I got a better feeling about them.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM

Warm salt water compress win!

As I am trying to get an appt with a dermotologist, I have an appt with a good dermo scheduled for 5 weeks from now, hoping to get called by them sooner if they have a last minute opening, I am also trying to keep this cyst under control. For the past couple of days it was really sore and swelled up a lot. It was so alarming that I was almost considering going to the urgent care clinic a few blocks away.

Then I read up online that a warm salt water compress can be helpful. I had done a plain warm water compress but that didn't seem to help much. I mixed a strong solution of warm water and epsom salts. After the first 20 minute session before I went to bed the swelling went down a little as it began to drain a tiny bit and it stopped hurting for a while. I was able to fall asleep without my scalp burning. I woke up at 4 am and it was sore again but not as bad as before. Since I was just laying there in bed I went and got another warm salt water soaked wash cloth and put it over it for a while. It drained it some more before I got up at 5:30am. I got up, made up some more salt water solution and put the cloth on my head for an hour while I did most of my morning routine. It drained a lot more. I had not been poking or pressing it, just letting the cloth draw the goop out. By the time I left for work it was about 1/3 the size that it was the night before! The salt really seemed to help tremendously. It's still sore to the touch but not swelling back up much today. It's much much better. I'm going to keep at this for a while and see how it goes. No harm. I don't expect it to get rid of the cyst completely but it may be in good shape to be removed by the time I see a dermo sometime in the next month.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:21 PM

7,729 posts, read 18,594,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
Warm salt water compress win!

As I am trying to get an appt with a dermotologist, I have an appt with a good dermo scheduled for 5 weeks from now, hoping to get called by them sooner if they have a last minute opening, I am also trying to keep this cyst under control. For the past couple of days it was really sore and swelled up a lot. It was so alarming that I was almost considering going to the urgent care clinic a few blocks away.

Then I read up online that a warm salt water compress can be helpful. I had done a plain warm water compress but that didn't seem to help much. I mixed a strong solution of warm water and epsom salts. After the first 20 minute session before I went to bed the swelling went down a little as it began to drain a tiny bit and it stopped hurting for a while. I was able to fall asleep without my scalp burning. I woke up at 4 am and it was sore again but not as bad as before. Since I was just laying there in bed I went and got another warm salt water soaked wash cloth and put it over it for a while. It drained it some more before I got up at 5:30am. I got up, made up some more salt water solution and put the cloth on my head for an hour while I did most of my morning routine. It drained a lot more. I had not been poking or pressing it, just letting the cloth draw the goop out. By the time I left for work it was about 1/3 the size that it was the night before! The salt really seemed to help tremendously. It's still sore to the touch but not swelling back up much today. It's much much better. I'm going to keep at this for a while and see how it goes. No harm. I don't expect it to get rid of the cyst completely but it may be in good shape to be removed by the time I see a dermo sometime in the next month.
Excellent! Don't forget to take photos as you deal with this over the next few weeks. If you do get it reduced to 25% of the original size, waiting and watching could be the recommendation. If you want to get rid of it, say it's painful 24/7.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,641,259 times
Does anyone else find this thread disturbing ? Has it occurred to anyone that these sebaceous cysts could be malignant ? A good friend of ours had a small cyst on his jawline that turned out to be squamous cell carcinoma, he has endured surgeries and several rounds of chemo and radio therapy over the last few years and still isn't out of the woods.
I would advise anyone with a cyst or an unknown lump to see their doctor, best to be safe and not sorry.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:10 PM

3,402 posts, read 12,230,603 times
Very disturbing, aye Surprised it's gone on as long as it has.

Sure it could be cancer. Everything can. But it also happens to be the leading symptom of infected hair follicles, and minor skin trauma caused from bruising, chafing, stress, weight gain, moisture and bacteria, etc etc. Some solid info in here for tips and tricks. But I second Jan's posting to an extent. After years + of dealing with this on a smaller scale on occasion. When it doubt, see a licensed medical practitioner.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Excellent! Don't forget to take photos as you deal with this over the next few weeks. If you do get it reduced to 25% of the original size, waiting and watching could be the recommendation. If you want to get rid of it, say it's painful 24/7.
I didn't take any pictures of it. After putting the warm salt water compress on it a couple times a day it was much better after 24 hours. All the swelling and pain was gone and it was no longer draining. It did fill up again but did not get as big as the original size The next few days I put the compress on it for a while but did not see much change. It seems to be filled with a fluid and is only slightly sensitive and not bothering me at all now.

I had a dermo appt scheduled for Feb 6. But good news! The dermo office just called me and they have an opening for this Friday so I booked it. It is with a woman doctor there that I had really wanted to see (she has great reviews online). Thankfully my job is flexible and if she wants to do surgery right then I'll have it taken care of.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:58 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
even putting aside the issues of self-diagnosis, improper aseptic surgical technique, lack of histological follow up, and a dozen other problems which all carry their own risks, trying to drain a sebaceous cyst yourself is inadvisable simply because unless the sac of tissue which lines the inside of the cyst is surgically removed, it will almost certainly recur.

if it doesn't bother you, leave it well alone. if it does, then get it dealt with properly, by a professional, otherwise you will be putting yourself at risk of complications for a problem which will almost certain come back.
yep my wife had one that drained and keep on until she had doctor remove in by office surgery. No stitch either as he packed it with a tape I think had silvadine to kill bacteria which was pulled out in two days and healed. Took all of 15 minutes to do in office if that is what it is as to type.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 22,668 times
Default Head acne , sebaceous cysts ,

I am not a doctor- father was - but I have had an ongoing problem with painful sebaceous bumps, head pimples, acne on the brain for years. Compounded by a moderate bout with either dry scalp issues or seborrheic (sp) dandruff- issues. Tried all things- tar- medicine- all kinds of fancy shampoos .
I also have an ongoing case of adult onset acne.
Skin issues alright...
I used a product called Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations with benzoyl peroxide for my face with good results. By accident I grabbed the stuff and used it on my head- started to until the soap got off my eyes- and realized I didn't grab the shampoo. I figured if it worked on my face it could work on the scalp. I went ahead and finished using it like shampoo. We'll folks bottom line - 95% clear - not perfect - still get slight flair ups - occasionally - nothing like before .
I use a good anti- dandruff shampoo first followed by the acne free- then a conditioner- good to go.
I figure other face acne stuff works to- I just found this works for me. Hope it helps you.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-22-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 PM

18,340 posts, read 23,506,172 times
i had a large ugly blackhead that was growing on my cheek,,someone i worked with said i needed to get it checked, it could be cancerous..
i was in a panic,,looked all over the internet for home remedies,,and found a forum that a person recommended apple cider vinegar.. to soak it at least 10 minutes a day,,,,
after a week, the thing was brittle and i pulled it off... with no scar..

this is different than a cyst .. but just wanted to throw this out..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness