U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 PM

903 posts, read 3,085,725 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone's pre teen had to have their tonsils out? My almost 13 year old is going in next week for a tonsilectomy and I was wondering about experiences with healing and pain. I'm very nervous about the surgery and recovery. Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 PM

10,666 posts, read 21,336,483 times
Have a look at the post - How painful is a tonsillectomy?

I made a few posts about my daughters experience

Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,070,664 times
I was 19 when I had my tonsils removed. When it was over it felt like I had a very sore throat. The day of surgery the hospital had me suck on ice chips all day, which felt soothing. It hurt to swallow or talk. Within a week I was doing fine except it would hurt if I tried to raise my voice.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
Both of my children had theirs out when they were teens. One had no problem at all, one had pain - and they were treated by the same doctor. It's an individual experience.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 AM

523 posts, read 3,410,897 times
rather depends on the state of the tonsils, i.e. how scarred up they are. people who have had a large number of severe bouts of tonsillitis in the past (which usually correlates with increasing age at time of surgery) tend to have more post-operative discomfort, because their tonsils tend to be rather more difficult to remove.

nothing that a 13 year old won't be able to sail through with a large dose of TLC, though.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 PM
ttz

679 posts, read 1,500,210 times
I was 10 when I had mine removed. It wasn't too bad, like a very bad case of strep for weeks!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 37,812 times
I am 16 and have to get my tonsils out. My big problem is I don't like going to doctors or hospital and I dread needles.

My Mom said the doc prefers that I fall asleep in the room before they take me for surgery. That way I won't freak out going into an operating room.

My Mom tells me that a nurse will give me some medicine an hour before the surgery. She said it is going to make me real sleepy. Then she told me that it is a needle, like bummer.

Does anyone know what they give u?Is it like they put an IV in your arm?

I won't stay still for an IV as they need several people to hold me when I get
a blood test.

I know it is probably acting like a big baby but needles scare me and I remember some of them hurting as a kid.

Also if they want to put a needle in my upper arm I know natural reaction I will jerk my arm away. I did that with a tetanus shot and the needle could have bent. I don't know if it can break but the nurse said the needle could have bend.

Kim

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 AM

532 posts, read 1,014,180 times
Missy,

When they did my tonsilectomy they knocked me out too. Yes, you will need an IV put in, however once that's in you'll get all meds for the surgery put in the IV, so no more pokes They will most likely give you Proprofol into your IV and a pain killer. Pain killer for pain, Proprofol to put you to sleep and make you forget the entire procedure.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times
When I graduated from high school and making plans to go to college, my father took me to the doctor and said "If you don't take her tonsils out now, I will yank them out with a pair of pliers" and he was serious. i stayed sick my whole growing up and of course it was blamed on my tonsils. But later we discovered it was due to my mother being a chaim smoker. This was in the 40-60's.

I sweetened the pot a bit by asking that my ears be pierced while I was under. They had been pierced with ice cubes and pilfered surgical needles by James Taylor's future sister-in-law back in high school. That turned out to be a disaster.

I grew 1.5 inches after they were removed but not sure if there is a correlation. I went from 5'8.5" to 5' 10" from 17 to 18 years old.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 17,361 times
i am 19 and just got the news that i need my tonsils taken out. I've never had any type of surgery before or got knocked out. I heard the older you are the worse it is... is that true? how can i stay calm and not worry about this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness