U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM

29,447 posts, read 33,861,078 times

Advertisements

Two hookers were talking and one asked if the other smoked after having sex. The other said "I don't know I never looked"

I assume you mean tobacco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,422,072 times
Moderator cut: post was deleted
Don't be such a Moderator cut: no name calling . You are one person and good for you if you aren't addicted. But there are millions more who are and plenty of doctors who would tell you that it is an addiction. I HATE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO ARE SO UP ON YOUR HIGH HORSE! Get over your self. You're mind is weak if you can't accept medical proof of addiction. I guess people can't be addicted to alchohol or drugs either?????

Last edited by Suzet2262; 05-31-2008 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: No name calling, the offended post was deleted...

Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 AM

4,751 posts, read 11,953,466 times
I worked at a hospital once and they asked me to fill in for the regular instructor for the "Stop Smoking" class. The students were rolling their oxygen tanks into the room and some of them smoked through a hole in their throat from their tracheotomies. It was horrible.

Nicotine is intensely physically addictive. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't read any of the medical literature on the subject.

There are steps you can take to minimize the discomfort of withdrawal, though, so it isn't hopeless.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 AM

52 posts, read 200,859 times
3 reasons usually:

1. They're addicted and can't stop.
2. They enjoy the occasional social smoke, when having drinks usually.
3. To most, a cig feels good when stressed.

Smoking is bad and a terrible thing to do to your body. But so are soooo many other things that people self inflict. I choose to have the occasional smoke when having a drink with friends. And I think almost everything, including cigaretts & cigars, is fine in moderation.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM

10,716 posts, read 30,752,340 times
Addiction and Dependance, deny it all you want but why else would someone increase their risk of cancer if they weren't addicted and dependant?

As long as they don't do it around me, they can smoke on for all I care.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM

16,227 posts, read 21,768,627 times
I started smoking because all my friends I hung out with smoked, and I thought it was cool. Well, 24 years later, its not so cool anymore.
I am the uncool one, and still smoke today.
I have tried the Wellbutrin. Its an anti- depressant, but it works to help stop smoking as well. I found that this really works for me. I just didn`t REALLY want to quit, but IF, and when I get ready, I will definetly go back to Wellbutrin.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM

790 posts, read 3,610,614 times
Moderator cut: offended post was deleted

Your own "weakness" may not manifest as addictive behavior but given the attitude and energy expressed in your post i have to say that your weakness is quite clear.
And a judgmental mind is not a strong mind. An ignorant mind is not a strong mind and a compassion-less stance regarding those who are indeed addicted is an indication of the level of your consciousness.
Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances around. Many people who have kicked heroin say that it's more difficult to quit smoking.
Addiction is complex and is not simply a physical / chemical dependence nor is it simply an indication of a "weak mind". You best understand the true nature of mind dude before you use that kind of thinking as a weapon against others .... especially against others who are suffering and anyone who experiences any kind of addiction knows the degree of suffering involved.
To be vulnerable to addictive behavior is more probable for some than for others. If you're not prone to addiction that's well and good. Perhaps be thankful instead of ignorant and judgmental and realize that your own vulnerabilities may differ but we've all got them and we're all human. And if you haven't dealt with your own weaknesses and vulnerabilities and/or deny them, i would say that you are something of a coward and a liar.

Last edited by Suzet2262; 05-31-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: responded to a post that was deleted

Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,340,985 times
What I have found out about myself is when I quit smoking at 25 for two years it was a breeze, then again in my 30's I had no problem because in the back of my mind I could start if I wanted later. I don't know if anyone else felt that way or not. I wasn't quitting I was choosing not to smoke for a given period of time. At 50 I know if I quit its more than likely for good and I can't seem to accept that as easily.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I worked at a hospital once and they asked me to fill in for the regular instructor for the "Stop Smoking" class. The students were rolling their oxygen tanks into the room and some of them smoked through a hole in their throat from their tracheotomies. It was horrible.

Nicotine is intensely physically addictive. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't read any of the medical literature on the subject.

There are steps you can take to minimize the discomfort of withdrawal, though, so it isn't hopeless.

Mint choclate-chip ice cream is also "addictive", but if study after study confirmed that mint choclate chip causes cancer--especially after one consumes around 15 to 20 scoops a day--then I would consider cutting back my consumption.

Again, these addicts suffer from weak minds. If we lived in some hypothetical world where there was no such thing as nictoine, alcohol, or drugs, they would find something else to feed their compulsive disorders, whether it be ice cream or twinkies. There's nothing inherenetly wrong with ice cream or delicious processed pastry snacks, or tobacco (in moderation, of course), but the problem lies with the people who stupidly choose to abuse it.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,340,985 times
Nothing wrong with tobacco in moderation, while I would have to agree that smoking 5 a day instead of 20 would be better any known carcinogen is not good for you, smoked meat products, inhaling many things we can not avoid that are a part of every day life including fumes from vehicles, heating fuels and the list goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness