U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,617,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I'll never understand it either. Dont see how people can do such a disgusting thing.

Im glad to see that we here in Los Angeles are banning smoking from many public places. Calabasas you cant even smoke outside, I love it.

The thing is, (at least here in LA) the people who are smokers are usually from other countries or other parts of the USA. Very few native southern Californians smoke.
More like very few native (non-Latino) WHITE Southern Californians smoke. A group which is a minority.

The anti-smoking movement in California reeks of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,192 times
Default its not that hard

my dad smoked for about 10 years when he was single and a few years after being married..
but than he had a couple kids.
and he knew if he kept smokeing we would probly do it and its just a bad example!

he said ok im gunna stop, he smoked his last pack and has never smoked since.. its been about 15 years and he says it was the easy'st thing to do..
not phisicly but he knew that it was better for his family so he stoped!

im not saying you shouldnt smoke becuz thats a freedom you have, and thats part of being in america
im just saying watch where you do it cuz not everybody likes it so please do it in privet or away from little kids

thats all i ask!

thanks!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:37 PM

12,978 posts, read 28,492,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
More like very few native (non-Latino) WHITE Southern Californians smoke. A group which is a minority.

The anti-smoking movement in California reeks of racism.
I dont think so. Its more that most native Southern Californians are more health and environmentally conscious than people who are not from here. It has nothing to do with racism. I just think there should always be designated smoking areas away from those who choose not to smoke and away from those who do not want themselves and their family subjected to second hand smoke.

How do you think this has anything to do with racisim?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:24 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,617,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I dont think so. Its more that most native Southern Californians are more health and environmentally conscious than people who are not from here. It has nothing to do with racism. I just think there should always be designated smoking areas away from those who choose not to smoke and away from those who do not want themselves and their family subjected to second hand smoke.

How do you think this has anything to do with racisim?
Native southern Californians who are not non-Latino whites do tend to smoke more. Certainly native southern Californian blacks, Latinos, and Asians smoke more. Most likely if the white working class and white underclass hadn't left LA en masse, there'd be more white smokers - I sense that the strong antismoking sentiment amongst native whites has a strong classist element as well.

Note how the only cities with laws banning outdoor smoking laws are practically lily white like Santa Monica, Calabasas, Burbank, and Beverly Hills (I do know that all of those except Calabasas have large Persian populations and Beverly Hills has a large Asian population too, but in all 3 of those "whites" are over 75% of the population). I can't speak for those other cities but in Santa Monica the antismoking laws are used mostly against immigrant Latinos to keep them out, and probably blacks as well (as SM is one of the most antiblack towns in SoCal). People in Inglewood, Compton, El Monte, etc. have other things to worry about than second hand smoke.

FWIW, it isn't purely racial, as most "whites" in SoCal are not natives.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,419,895 times
Default I Quit!

I just read through this thread and as an ex-smoker, (Christmas Eve was 1 month for me!) I can say I hope I am never as judgemental as the non-smokers.

I started smoking when I was 18....that's half my life that I've been smoking! I have a college degree so I'm a reasonably intelligent person. I LIKED it and if it weren't for the fact that my son and husband drove me nuts about it along with getting tired of going out in the cold, I wouldn't have quit. I took the prescription Chantix and it worked great for me. I've read about others having a hard time with it. The medicine stops the cravings but there are still times I want one. I think it will always be that way for me. I changed jobs and my smoking buddies were at my previous job. I don't have the temptations I did before or I don't think I could have quit.

I feel better, can smell and taste things better, and don't waste all my time outside smoking. But quitting is one of the hardest things I've done in my life! A lot of people are saying that overeating is not the same thing. I disagree. Everything we do is a choice. The same way I chose to smoke a cigarette, others choose to eat too much or the wrong things (which I do as well). I just want you all to realize that just because we know something is bad for us doesn't make it miraculously easy to quit or not to do it.

Until you walk in someone else's shoes, don't be so quick to judge. You never know what that person is going through.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,463,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I just read through this thread and as an ex-smoker, (Christmas Eve was 1 month for me!) I can say I hope I am never as judgemental as the non-smokers.

I started smoking when I was 18....that's half my life that I've been smoking! I have a college degree so I'm a reasonably intelligent person. I LIKED it and if it weren't for the fact that my son and husband drove me nuts about it along with getting tired of going out in the cold, I wouldn't have quit. I took the prescription Chantix and it worked great for me. I've read about others having a hard time with it. The medicine stops the cravings but there are still times I want one. I think it will always be that way for me. I changed jobs and my smoking buddies were at my previous job. I don't have the temptations I did before or I don't think I could have quit.

I feel better, can smell and taste things better, and don't waste all my time outside smoking. But quitting is one of the hardest things I've done in my life! A lot of people are saying that overeating is not the same thing. I disagree. Everything we do is a choice. The same way I chose to smoke a cigarette, others choose to eat too much or the wrong things (which I do as well). I just want you all to realize that just because we know something is bad for us doesn't make it miraculously easy to quit or not to do it.

Until you walk in someone else's shoes, don't be so quick to judge. You never know what that person is going through.
I'm almost done with my 2nd full month of Chantix and yes, I have stopped, after 40 years. But gosh it is STILL very, very tough sometimes.

(Congratulations to you Austinsmom! Good for you)

True about the difficulty with quitting smoking. It is easier to quit heroin and cocaine. Fact.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:44 PM

13,432 posts, read 20,990,276 times
I have been smoke free with Chantix for 10 months now..It doesn't make me crave a cig to be around others who are smoking, just makes me realize how fortunate that I finally quit after about 45 years..I also never smoked inside my house or in public because of offending anybody..Vp I am so proud of your steadfastness and your willingness to help others quit without insults

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-27-2007 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: add praise for vp...

Old 12-28-2007, 04:04 PM

9,714 posts, read 21,396,467 times
For those of you that have quit recently, hang in there. It gets better with each passing day. Once you get to the 1 year mark, it's smooth sailing from then on.
On Jan.2, it will be my official 11 years of not smoking. Cool, eh?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,463,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
For those of you that have quit recently, hang in there. It gets better with each passing day. Once you get to the 1 year mark, it's smooth sailing from then on.
On Jan.2, it will be my official 11 years of not smoking. Cool, eh?
One whole year?????? I still have just over 10 mths to go!

In the meantime, it's paddling against the stream?

Well, I was pregnant for 9 mths and stuck around. So what's another extra month right?

And eleven years?? WOW!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,185,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post

Yes, I agree. I hope I never become so judgmental and pure white that I have to put others down to make myself feel so superior.

I just want to say "CONGRATULATIONS" to you on your accomplishment. You've done a fantastic job.

Blue and Pinkstring, cheers to you both for kicking the habit.

AND VP, I've been routing for you all along. I know how badly you want to quit and how rough it's been for you. I truly hope that it will happen for you and get easier in time.

I smoke a bit and have done so nearly my entire life. I always am respectful to others by walking away from them if I need a puff or two. I don't waste useful worktime by puffing away. I don't smoke in my house or anyone else's or in my vehicle. I just find it disgusting that people who smoke are becoming so loathed by the Puritans. You can hate the habit or addiction or whatever you feel it is, but it's so wrong to hate the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness