U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 AM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,334,554 times
Reputation: 9263

Advertisements

My teenager came to me with a sore ear. When I looked, I saw that he had blackheads in both ears and a soon-to-be pimple in one of them. YUK... He is a clean freak and I figured that maybe he wasn't drying his ears after bathing, leaving dampness that helped bacteria grow.

But then I realized that it was from his IPod earbuds. The blackheads are clustered in the spot where the earbuds would touch, not in the lower part of his outer ear that would be a place where left behind shower water would pool.

I cleaned them with peroxide on Q-tips, applied warm, wet cotton ball compresses, then dabbed neosporin on the areas for good measure. I've told him to make sure to massage them a bit with a clean, dry part of his towel when he gets out of the shower and dries off. Oh- and, yes, he won't be using the earbuds until this clears up and then he will clean them regularly.

Has anyone else noticed this? And if so, what did you do to make it go away?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 AM
 
Location: NJ
9,155 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Reputation: 6192
I think I would either try to clean the ear buds with rubbing alcohol or throw them away.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 AM
 
8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Reputation: 6197
You need to clean them daily with rubbing alcohol and use a washcloth with anti-acne formula to clean the face,neck and ears.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C.
345 posts, read 1,349,681 times
Reputation: 259
That's called "dirty boy syndrome"

nothing to do with earbuds
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 10:53 AM
 
Location: 3814′45″N 12237′53″W
4,152 posts, read 9,578,000 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
That's called "dirty boy syndrome"

nothing to do with earbuds
No that's not true. (and not even funny, since it seems like your goal was a one-liner) you need to work on your material pal.
Do you even have kids?

Magnolia, that's is gross. Good point points have been made about cleaning the earbuds, I think that would help out immensely.

Ear buds do kind of blow for audio quality, you could aim towards a set of much better quality headphones, if you want. But it does sound like he's got those things in his ears more often than not...the skin in his ears is showing how much he needs to take a break from usage perhaps.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C.
345 posts, read 1,349,681 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
No that's not true. (and not even funny, since it seems like your goal was a one-liner) you need to work on your material pal.
Do you even have kids?

Magnolia, that's is gross. Good point points have been made about cleaning the earbuds, I think that would help out immensely.

Ear buds do kind of blow for audio quality, you could aim towards a set of much better quality headphones, if you want. But it does sound like he's got those things in his ears more often than not...the skin in his ears is showing how much he needs to take a break from usage perhaps.
The kid needs a bath

I have kids

they are clean

Blackheads are caused by dirt
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,334,554 times
Reputation: 9263
Rhino-

A few years ago and I would have agreed with you. Those were the days when removing his shoes would cause our eyes to water.

Now that girls are in the picture, he takes two showers a day. Two very looong showers. And he goes through more shampoo than I do.

No, it's the ear buds. You read it here first- Earbud Ear......
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C.
345 posts, read 1,349,681 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Rhino-

A few years ago and I would have agreed with you. Those were the days when removing his shoes would cause our eyes to water.

Now that girls are in the picture, he takes two showers a day. Two very looong showers. And he goes through more shampoo than I do.

No, it's the ear buds. You read it here first- Earbud Ear......

sigh............. ok, if you say so
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 05:59 PM
 
12,620 posts, read 17,684,974 times
Reputation: 2988
Well, I use to get them in my ears and I never had ear buds! Cleaned my ears after every shower! Some people are just prone to get them there and he will grow out of it. It is not because he is dirty it is hormonal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Location: 3814′45″N 12237′53″W
4,152 posts, read 9,578,000 times
Reputation: 3398
Blackheads In Ears

simple really. and yes, rhino you are real helpful here.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top