Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 AM

698 posts, read 3,256,643 times

Advertisements

I was going to update this on the thread I started awhile back,but it was so far down the line I couldn't find it,so I'm just starting a new one. I was concerned about a couple of dark spots on my back and ask for advice,etc. A couple people thought it was a fungus and offered suggestions to treat it. When I went to my doctor for my yearly exam,she thought it was a fungus as well. She gave me a prescription and said if it didn't work,I should see a dermatologist. Well.....it didn't work so I ended up seeing a dermatologist several months later. I was diagnosed with Notalgia Paresthetica and given a stronger medication. I had never heard of this up until now. How about you all? Anyone else ever heard of it or have it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,543 times
I have had it for several years but never knew what it was. I have the constant itching and at times get excruiating shooting pain around to the front of my chest under my left breast. Lidoderm patches don't work and capsaicin burns my skin. I go to a pain doc in Florida who has performed at least 6 radio frequency ablations which help somewhat to keep the pain at bay but the itching never goes away. I am looking for a doctor who specializes in spine disorders/surgery but don't know how to go about it. I was reading an article on this condition that talks about a long thoracic nerve that's involved and rehabilitating that nerve could help. What are you taking if anything and does it help?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,603,272 times
Hmmm, I wonder if Neurontin would help? I took it for nerve pain due to a deteriorating spine. It "deadens" the nerves, making them less likely to misfire or misfire so strongly.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 AM

698 posts, read 3,256,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi_49 View Post
I have had it for several years but never knew what it was. I have the constant itching and at times get excruiating shooting pain around to the front of my chest under my left breast. Lidoderm patches don't work and capsaicin burns my skin. I go to a pain doc in Florida who has performed at least 6 radio frequency ablations which help somewhat to keep the pain at bay but the itching never goes away. I am looking for a doctor who specializes in spine disorders/surgery but don't know how to go about it. I was reading an article on this condition that talks about a long thoracic nerve that's involved and rehabilitating that nerve could help. What are you taking if anything and does it help?
My dermatologist prescribed a cream called PRUDOXIN 5% cream. Yes,it does help. You can apply it four times a day,but you only use a small amount because it may make you sleepy. Cortizone 10 also works well when I don't have that prescribed cream. Mine does not itch all the time and I don't have the excriating pain you describe.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,386 times
There is a surgeon in Houston, Dr. Nath, who specializes in scapular winging caused by Long Thoracic Nerve damage which may help with the pain but I'm not sure how much he knows about Notalgia Paresthetica, and the uncomfortable skin manifestations. By the way, my neurologist thinks I may have this, after several years of pain, thinking it was my gallbladder. I was diagnosed just recently with chronic moderate damage to the LTN. Do you think the ablations help with pain?

Old 10-15-2019, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,616 times
I have struggled with NP for about 2 years. My symptoms are intense itching under my right scapula.

I've finally found some relief below:

1. Lavender essential oil, diluted 50% with Sweet Almond Oil. Rubbed with a cotton pad at the base of the neck (C3-4 spine), and also the lower lumbar area. It can also be rubbed over the itchy area.This can last several hours or more.

2. Salicylic Acid pads (such as Clearasil/Stridex acne medicine) - these are anti-inflammatory in nature, and have also helped to reduce the itching. Rub on areas as noted above.

3. Vitamin B complex has been the MOST promising, particularly a potent B-100 compound. Taken in the morning consistently, I've used this alone with NO other treatment and is working very well for me. Vitamin B has a calming effect on the nervous system, and reduces the effects of stress. I've tried a number of other things, and these have worked the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness