Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times

Advertisements

I have a friend they darn near killed this year. I kept warning him he was nothing but a "cash cow" for them, always sending him for tests, had him taking 20+ medications and all the time he is progressing to worse and worse condition. I swear, there for about a month, he was at the hospital every day for some sort of test until he was found face down out in his front yard, out of his head, almost naked early one winter morning. It was doubtful he would get out of the hospital alive but once his daughter showed up, he suddenly started getting better and she took him out of state to live with her and over see his care.

It all started with them putting him on statin drugs and the side effects he had from those, the medications needed to treat those side effects, the tests because of the side effects, more drugs given to treat the drug side effects that were given to off set the side effects of the statins until he was on over 20 drugs a day (somewhere around 28 different Rx's). He is now on only 2 Rx's a day and is doing fine. He did have to spend about 6 weeks in a nursing home/ rehab place to get strong enough to walk across the floor again and to get his mind back. They did that to him, in a 2 year time period and I think it was because he was so obedient, doing what he was told to do and had no one close by to question anything they were doing to him.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 PM

207 posts, read 963,699 times
Honestly if you think things are so bad then you have an option, just don't go to the doctor. If you think they are all crooks who just want to kill you you don't ever have to go to one. In this country we allow you to be as ignorant and dumb as you want to be, just don't come crying to everyone else (and expecting them to pay for your care) when you find out you are dying of a completely preventable illness because you thought all the doctors were out to get you. Seriously...

Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Thoughts??

1) The JAMA article referenced is 10 years old....this isn't "news"

2) Iatrogenic does not necessarily mean negligent....it can be an inadvertent side effect, error from medical staff other than doctor (nurse, tech, etc), a consequence of having been in the hospital (nosocomial infection)......

3) Of the 225, 000 death toll cited about 180,000 were due to unintended "non error" medication side effects or hospital acquired infections. NOT negligence or incompetence.

Everyone can carry on with their medical establishment and doctor bashing now......
I could demolish your entire post by posting data on the VIOXX scandal.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:56 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
doctors don't care about people. is this new news? lol.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
Honestly if you think things are so bad then you have an option, just don't go to the doctor. If you think they are all crooks who just want to kill you you don't ever have to go to one. In this country we allow you to be as ignorant and dumb as you want to be, just don't come crying to everyone else (and expecting them to pay for your care) when you find out you are dying of a completely preventable illness because you thought all the doctors were out to get you. Seriously...
If people don't feel safe going to the doctor( and this is a trend going back into the 1950's at least!), and it's a growing shared experience among millions of people, THEN I THINK YOU JUST MIGHT HAVE A REAL PROBLEM!!!! Seriously...

And no, I don't think all doctors are crooks, but I do believe the medical establishment they work for are crooks who then force young med students to develop in such a way that they become arrogant and indifferent towards their patients.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I have a friend they darn near killed this year. I kept warning him he was nothing but a "cash cow" for them, always sending him for tests, had him taking 20+ medications and all the time he is progressing to worse and worse condition. I swear, there for about a month, he was at the hospital every day for some sort of test until he was found face down out in his front yard, out of his head, almost naked early one winter morning. It was doubtful he would get out of the hospital alive but once his daughter showed up, he suddenly started getting better and she took him out of state to live with her and over see his care.

It all started with them putting him on statin drugs and the side effects he had from those, the medications needed to treat those side effects, the tests because of the side effects, more drugs given to treat the drug side effects that were given to off set the side effects of the statins until he was on over 20 drugs a day (somewhere around 28 different Rx's). He is now on only 2 Rx's a day and is doing fine. He did have to spend about 6 weeks in a nursing home/ rehab place to get strong enough to walk across the floor again and to get his mind back. They did that to him, in a 2 year time period and I think it was because he was so obedient, doing what he was told to do and had no one close by to question anything they were doing to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
It is very sad to read such stories, thoughts?

Doctors are Third Leading Cause of Death in U.S.!

Yea, I just lost a friend 2 days ago to cancer. It was a long battle but in the end he died from some kind of infection due to the chemo treatment. All conspiracy aside, people like me get mad because the hospitals can never FIX the problem and be done with it like they can do with broken bones.

For many people it's a long drawn out process that drains peoples bank accounts/retirement funds only to then loose the loved one in the end anyway. Is this what they want?!!!

If I ever got cancer I would pack my bags and live it up on some island until my last sunset. Screw passing in some cold hospital in a cheap gown with a sleep deprived zombie looking at me!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 PM

We all know medicine isn't an exact science, these are people, not Gods. I don't understand why everyone expects perfection all the time from doctors, they are people just like you who make mistakes sometimes. Would you rather no one went into the medical profession and we had no one even trying? They usually try to do their best, not all of them are great, but things happen that are out of everyone's control. Yes the system is messed up and it does need to change, but having an irrational fear and paranoia about doctors isn't going to help you. Like I said, you don't need to go if you think it's such a big problem. My guess is that you won't be complaining so loud when you actually need help.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:06 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
We all know medicine isn't an exact science, these are people, not Gods. I don't understand why everyone expects perfection all the time from doctors, they are people just like you who make mistakes sometimes. Would you rather no one went into the medical profession and we had no one even trying? They usually try to do their best, not all of them are great, but things happen that are out of everyone's control. Yes the system is messed up and it does need to change, but having an irrational fear and paranoia about doctors isn't going to help you. Like I said, you don't need to go if you think it's such a big problem. My guess is that you won't be complaining so loud when you actually need help.

....... and then we'll all be forced to die at the hands of a narcissistic, arrogant doctor. Right ?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
....... and then we'll all be forced to die at the hands of a narcissistic, arrogant doctor. Right ?
I guess you'd rather die at a young age of something completely preventable and treatable because you assume all doctors are like that. Something really traumatic must have happened to you to make you think so irrationally about this, seriously you should get some professional help.... oh wait... you don't believe in it.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:47 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I have worked as an R.N. in ICU and ER for twenty years in about 80 hospitals and medical centers. In that time I have seen two cases of mistakes which led to the tragic demise of a patient's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness