U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2010, 12:44 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
1,457 posts, read 3,323,392 times
Reputation: 1460

Advertisements

Have a question for anyone who gets migraines and wears prescription glasses. I've had migraines for over 20 years. The inevitable is here and I really need to get reading glasses. My question is when you first started wearing them did you get more migraines because of them? I had an eye exam a couple years ago and they wanted me to get glasses then. Went to Walgreens and tried on different strengths. Just from trying them on made me nauseous. So I never got them. But now I need them...that is unless I get more migraines. That's the last thing I want. Any experience advice with this is greatly appreciated. I'm going to make an eye appointment in a few weeks and just want to be prepared. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,722 posts, read 2,973,918 times
Reputation: 1606
You might want to check for another source for your migraines to make sure they are related to you wearing eye glasses. I used to get migraines for years and I thought I had inherited them from my mother. Five years ago I got my teeth straightened, which also included realigning my jaw, and I haven't had a migraine since. Although I have no scientific proof, I believe that my jaw was the source of my headaches and not genetics.

So, go to a doctor and ask him about possible sources of your headaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM
 
11,672 posts, read 13,873,542 times
Reputation: 19019
I do not suffer from migraines, but when I try to wear my glasses I always get headaches. I think it's pretty common until you get used to it. I just stick to my contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
1,457 posts, read 3,323,392 times
Reputation: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
You might want to check for another source for your migraines to make sure they are related to you wearing eye glasses. I used to get migraines for years and I thought I had inherited them from my mother. Five years ago I got my teeth straightened, which also included realigning my jaw, and I haven't had a migraine since. Although I have no scientific proof, I believe that my jaw was the source of my headaches and not genetics.

So, go to a doctor and ask him about possible sources of your headaches.
I haven't actually warn any glasses yet. Just when I was trying them on made me feel nauseous.
I've been to numerous doctors, including neurologist and chiropractors over the last 20 years. Funny you mention the jaw as I just asked my chiropractor last week about that as my sister had adjustments on hers. He told me my jaw wasn't the problem of my migraines. I've had mri's...showed nothing. Once I had acupuncture which relieved me for about 6 months, went back he wasn't there. No other acupuncturists has worked yet. I got tired of being a guinea pig, so now I just take zomig. I'm just real leary of getting glasses because I don't want more migraines. Thanks for your advice!

Did you have braces? Is that what realigned your jaw or did you have adjustments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
1,457 posts, read 3,323,392 times
Reputation: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I do not suffer from migraines, but when I try to wear my glasses I always get headaches. I think it's pretty common until you get used to it. I just stick to my contacts.
I was thinking about contacts too. I'd rather poke my eye out than feel sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 05:58 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Reputation: 57209
Migraines are migraines, and eye strain is eye strain. You need a good eye exam by an eye doctor before you dismiss the reading glasses.

I don't know if you are a man or a woman, but I used to get migraines regularly. I can get plain old regular headaches from eyestrain, but I don't believe the two are related. Even though the first harbinger of a migraine was a pain behind my right eye, I still don't think the two are related.

Last edited by gentlearts; 05-13-2010 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Have a question for anyone who gets migraines and wears prescription glasses. I've had migraines for over 20 years. The inevitable is here and I really need to get reading glasses. My question is when you first started wearing them did you get more migraines because of them? I had an eye exam a couple years ago and they wanted me to get glasses then. Went to Walgreens and tried on different strengths. Just from trying them on made me nauseous. So I never got them. But now I need them...that is unless I get more migraines. That's the last thing I want. Any experience advice with this is greatly appreciated. I'm going to make an eye appointment in a few weeks and just want to be prepared. Thanks!
Your eyes can make you sick and/or give you a whale of a headache if you're putting them under undue strain with bad (wrong) glasses or you need to prescription glasses and won't wear them.

Know this...... you mess with your eyes and they WILL mess with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 09:33 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,801,826 times
Reputation: 465
I'm not sure about the glasses causing migraines either, but they are miserable aren't they? I honestly would rather have a horrible cold for a week than a migraine for half a day! I used to get them quite often, but since I started working out regularly at the gym four years ago I have gotten ONE! I am not sure what it is that is helping there, but it has made a very significant difference. Just something you might want to consider.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 06:26 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
1,457 posts, read 3,323,392 times
Reputation: 1460
Thanks for all the replies! I will be going to the doctor because I know I need reading glasses. I can definitely feel the eyestrain in my head, and it does feel different then a migraine. Working on the computer and with numbers doesn't help. I was just afraid the prescription lens might trigger migraines, like other triggers for migraines. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 AM
 
Location: the dirty south
467 posts, read 1,004,077 times
Reputation: 356
I was reading that there's something called computer vision syndrome which can trigger migraines.

I'm near-sighted, so when I'm at the computer I make sure my glasses are off or my contacts are out. I was really struggling with migraines over the last few months and a good part of my job is spent at the computer. The CVS connection sort of helped in my eye strain/pressure.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top