Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times

Advertisements

I won't pretend to know what's going on with you, but I've had cysts in my ovaries as well and they reabsorbed. I have many problems with fibroids and doc wants the surgery but I'm holding off since I'm old enough to hit menopause any day now. From all the reading I've done, it seems that hormonal imbalances are responsible for problems like these and can be corrected with an herb called vitex, which I've been taking. So far the only result that I can see after several months is a longer cycle--I've gone from 21 days to 26. The vitex is supposed to balance your hormones and it does take a while to work, so I'm adding shepherds purse to reduce the flow. My doc has never mentioned anything about a thickened cervix but I wouldn't be surprised, with all the other stuff that's been going on. Besides this and having to take iron pills all the time, I'm perfectly healthy.

You didn't mention whether the doc checked you for PCOS or whether you have weight problems? That seems to be getting more and more common--the PCOS I mean. Of course you want to get the pap smear and I'll be hoping that everything will be fine with you, which I suspect it will. Your gram may have had cervical cancer, but she was obviously old enough to be a grandma, and you're young, so chances are good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
First of all, what type of symptoms did you have which prompted you to seek medical attention in the first place? This is the most important part of the history. At your age, wouldn't jump to cancer as first explanation before checking out others. Let's break down your ultrasound report:

"several follicular cysts on my left ovary"

How big were they? If they are < 3 cm they can be totally normal, not necessarily suggestive of PCOS or any other pathology. If they are large (< 5 cm) but not causing any severe pain, you just need a follow up exam to see if they have gone away after your current menstrual cycle.

"also noted that I have endocervical fluid, and a thickened cervix (not noted how thick"

Are you sure it didnt' say "endometrial fluid" rather than endocervical? In any case it may also be an incidental finding, not necessarily meaningful. They might just request a repeat ultrasound after this menstrual cycle. If you are worried what you need to do is to stick to one doctor that you find acceptable. That way you won't delay treatment/diagnosis by trying to go to other doctors.

Did you ever get an HPV panel done? Not the pap, but an actual HPV DNA PCR test. These aren't usually done in women under 30 but if you are having symptoms and questionable ultrasound findings they might acquiesce and do one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness