U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 26,089 times
My cousin has it she says that it make your period heavy, and i have seen that issue with her at a carnival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 05:35 AM

7,106 posts, read 12,894,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaudria86 View Post
My cousin has it she says that it make your period heavy, and i have seen that issue with her at a carnival.
Sounds like your cousin needs to see her Dr

Old 05-12-2010, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,548 times
Smile is mirena safe

I've had Mirena for 2 years and a half now. At first I would menstruate and I now only have spotting for about two days every month.. it is so light that I hardly have to use a pad. Its been amazing for me and by my experience I would recommend it to women. Please consult with your doctor to see if you are a candidate for Mirena. I don't have any contradictions, its amazing how I don't have to be on the pill. I can jump, run, dance, move all over the place and never feel a thing and I'm sure its in place (there's a thread by which I can touch and know its there). I haven't had any side effects which is great.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,530 times
Iud=Mirena

Is normal for your IUD to go down during your period. I had mine 3 months ago and it seems that from the time i had it, it always go down. Please help....thanks

Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,457 times
Hello Winters816,
I know u posted a while back but my friend and I both have the Mirena IUD. Ive had it since Dec 2007 and she has had it since Dec 2009. It took me 2 yrs but I have been suffering from nausea for a good while now. I thought it was just me but then after my friend got it- she started having the same symtoms. I have actually gotten sick one time.. but the rest I just feel like I really need to. Same with her. I dont know what else it could be besides the IUD. I cant wait to get this thing out in the Spring!!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 742,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters816 View Post
I got my IUD after my third child and have had it for 2 years. I have been suffering from nausea and dizziness since. Im not sure if its related to the IUD. I never did well with the pill so now im wondering if I just don't react well to hormones. I have talked to my doc she said it is not a side effect, but I just don't know anymore. Has anyone else had similar experience with the IUD. Please post all your experience with the IUD. I am thinking about switching to the 10 yr copper cause it is hormone free, I would also like to know experience with that as well, Thanks!!
If you are a health proffesional please state so.
I've had Mirena for 4 years now and I love it and I've never had any complications. I haven't had a period since I got pregnant almost 5 years ago!
Now, on the other hand, I've had friends who are just not equipped to have them. One of my friend's literally fell out, while another friend's perforated her uterus and required surgery for removal. Every woman is different, and it could be the horomones that are causing your dizziness. I would not recommend the copper one though. They are very controversial and I don't even know if you can find a doctor that will give you one, unless you are a military dependent. (Tri-Care still offers them b/c they are cheap and don't care for our soldiers and their families but that's for another thread.) Hence the making of the plastic Mirena.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer82 View Post
I got the Mirena IUD placed about nine days ago. After doing THOROUGH research and talking to countless friends who loved it, I decided that I would get one. I cannot remember pills and have tried everything. I knew that not having a child yet would make it more painful, however, having a child now while I am in college would be much more painful for me.

Anyway, my doctor assured me it would only be a quick pinch and I would be fine...not the case. It was the most excruciatingly painful twenty minute ordeal I have EVER experienced and I have had a lot of surgery and medical procedures. I threw up all over myself and they still continued. I passed out when it was over and I stood up. After about thirty minutes though it eased off and I was fine. THEN five hours later, while I was cooking dinner, I collapsed and went into chat the emt described as severe labor pains that lasted for hours and I had to take pain medication for it.

Its been nine days and I still have severe menstrual like cramps and just got out of the hospital for severe vertigo. The doctor in the ER didn't seem to have any idea why I was experiencing severe vertigo spells if I have never had minor ones. Needless to say, I am out of work and school and completely bedredden due to being miserably dizzy. I am relieved to know that the IUD may be the cause, as I was afraid of brain problems, and I hope that it will be a comfort to you that you are not the only one experiencing the dizzy spells.
I would not recommend Mirena if you haven't had a child... I can't believe your dr. gave it to you. Sounds like you need a new dr.!!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reashag View Post
has anyone ever gotten pregnant on the mirena? I have had it for almost 3yrs now and i have had a light menstral every month since and this month i havent had one yet is it too late in the game for my periods to stop?
You can get pregnant, but it's highly unlikely it will develop into a real baby. Usually, it turns into an ectopic pregnany which would require immediate attention.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM

8,990 posts, read 8,176,621 times
Most perforations occur at the time of insertion. If you have any IUD inserted, request a vaginal ultrasound to confirm the position of the device right after it is put in. Severe pain and dizziness right after insertion may be signs of perforation. Persistent dizziness is unlikely to be a side effect of the device itself.

Pain at the time of insertion can be minimized by having it done during a menstrual period. The cervix is softer and open a bit, and you can be almost certain you are not already pregnant. Taking an anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen before and after insertion can reduce cramping, and it is possible to use a local anesthetic prior to the insertion. Ask the doctor ahead of time if you would like the anesthetic.

The amount of hormone released by the device on a daily basis is about half that of a low dose birth control pill, and the amount decreases the longer the device is in. Hormone related symptoms due to Mirena should be very uncommon. One advantage of Mirena is that most women will have lighter periods with it, and some will stop bleeding altogether. Persistent pain and heavy bleeding are not normal and should be investigated. Some irregular bleeding at first is not unusual, but should straighten out in a few cycles. Heavy bleeding or continued pain could be symptoms of an infection. Infection related to the device itself most often occurs at the time of insertion. Even though the cervix is cleaned with an antiseptic prior to the insertion, it is impossible to remove all cervical bacteria. These are infections of the uterus and possibly the tubes. Diagnosis is essential to reduce the risk of fertility problems.

The presence of the strings can increase cervical discharge. This results in heavier vaginal secretions. IUDs do not cause yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis. A persistent vaginal discharge should be evaluated in the office by appropriate testing before any medications are used. Over the counter meds for yeast are effective, but only if the source of the problem is really yeast. IUDs do not protect against sexually transmitted diseases, either, and chlamydia and gonorrhea can be more severe in IUD wearers. Safe sexual practices are still essential.

ParaGard should be commonly available, not just to the military. The advantage of the device is that it can be left in longer --- up to 10 years --- and I know of some women who wore it even longer, although that is not advisable. There are trace amounts of nickel in the copper wire, so it is possible to react to it if you are allergic to nickel.

Women who have not been pregnant can safely use IUDs, but the never-pregnant uterus is smaller. The size of the space inside the uterus should be determined before the IUD package is even opened. If the depth of the uterus is less than the manufacturer recommends, the device should not be inserted.

Pregnancies can occur. Any pregnancy symptoms should lead to prompt testing. Absence of bleeding is not a reliable sign, and in women who completely stop bleeding, monthly tests are not indicated. Nausea and breast soreness on the other hand --- do the test. Half of pregnancies with an IUD in place may be in the tube, not because the IUD caused the situation, but because the IUD is less effective in preventing tubal pregnancies than it is in preventing intrauterine pregnancies. If a uterine pregnancy is present with an IUD, the IUD should be removed to reduce the risk of infection and miscarriage. If the string is no longer accessible, removal may not be possible if the pregnancy is to be continued.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,421 times
I have had Mirena for 18 months. I have dizziness and nausea for about a week every month. (like a period). Occasionally spotting but usually nothing. I have been really happy with it overall. Feeling sick sucks, but its better than worrying over taking a pill everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness