U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM

258 posts, read 862,761 times

Advertisements

Im currently trying to get rid of scabies.. I was given permethrin cream 5%, put that on one night, took a shower 12 hours later, the next night I could feel the scabies under my skin so I took a bath, and then put on more cream. I left the cream on for 14 hours. I cleaned the surroundings I use the most, but I'm wondering, can you still feel them moving around your body, even after putting on the cream? There is a pill I could also try to get, Ivermectin, has anyone had to use that for scabies? I feel like I'm doing all I can by cleaning my surrounding areas, washing bedding or putting it in the dryer for 20 mins, isolating my personal items and clothes that I wont use by putting them away for a few days in garbage bags, but I still end up feeling them moving around my body at night before I sleep.. what can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 PM

574 posts, read 1,813,630 times
I am serious about this remedy as we had a foster child several years ago who walked through our door infested with it. We did the same thing you are doing with the presciption cream, two baths a day, etc., but it was very, very slow to heal. One day as it was getting warmer we took her into the pool (its chlorinated). The following day we went swimming again and it was the morning after that when we noticed it looked better than it had since she had come almost two months earlier. I asked an RN friend about it who told me that its the bleach properties in chlorine that cleared it up and that bleach in bath water will do the same thing. We started adding just a capful of bleach to her bath water each night and literally within five days it was completely gone. So, go for either a swimming pool several days in a row and/or some bleach in the bath water.

Good luck!

Nancy

Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,196,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
I am serious about this remedy as we had a foster child several years ago who walked through our door infested with it. We did the same thing you are doing with the presciption cream, two baths a day, etc., but it was very, very slow to heal. One day as it was getting warmer we took her into the pool (its chlorinated). The following day we went swimming again and it was the morning after that when we noticed it looked better than it had since she had come almost two months earlier. I asked an RN friend about it who told me that its the bleach properties in chlorine that cleared it up and that bleach in bath water will do the same thing. We started adding just a capful of bleach to her bath water each night and literally within five days it was completely gone. So, go for either a swimming pool several days in a row and/or some bleach in the bath water.

Good luck!

Nancy
Yep, this should work fine once you consider that bleach is a...... "Common chemical bleaches include household chlorine bleach, a solution of approximately 36% sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), and oxygen bleach, which contains hydrogen peroxide or a peroxide-releasing compound such as sodium perborate, sodium percarbonate, sodium persulfate, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, or urea peroxide together with catalysts and activators, e.g., tetraacetylethylenediamine and/or sodium nonanoyloxybenzenesulfonate."

And very, very unfriendly to all sorts of bugs,virus, and bacteria.

Bleach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,196,495 times
OOPS! double post

Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,189,033 times
Make sure you wash ALL bedding and ALL clothing in HOT water. Make sure ALL family members get treated as well, at the same time. That said, this is only theoretical knowledge as I've never had scabies.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM

258 posts, read 862,761 times
Well my family members cant get treated because they dont have signs of scabies yet.. they cant officially get treated until they break out with it in any way according to my doctor.. its pretty sad because one family member has a very weak immune system and is prone to norweigen scabies, which is much much worse then regular scabies.. I have been using tea tree oil in the bathtub, and also went to the pool yesterday for an hour. It seems to be going away, I put my bedding in the dryer every day, as well as clothes but I dont know if it is totally gone because I still get sudden small bites, nothing large though and hardley any itching. I have to use the permethrin cream again after 7 days of first applying it, so I hope that will take care of all the smaller scabies that arent adults yet, which is what I think I have now. Cleaning my environment has been the largest opstical. Some people struggle with this for months, because they either wait to long to get initially treated, or have a larger initial outbreak of it on their body. I havent had a large outbreak on my body, it was under my right knee, and I thought it was psorasis so I waited a couple more weeks, and then it turns out I kept getting bites on my body, only a few at the time, so thats when I officially went in to the doctor and used permethrin that night. I think I took care of it just in time, but of course they always lay their eggs, so thats another problem. Ivermethrin is a pill I could take if I totally cant get rid of them and it comes back worse, or I get reinfected by someone else or my environment, which I'm hoping doesnt happen.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM

8,668 posts, read 20,029,086 times
Well, if you don't think it's being taken care of, you probably need to check back in with your dr and see what they recommend. I have never had scabies but a friend and her son did. They did the treatment and it didn't work. Their dr thought it was because the generic was less efficient/potent whatever and gave them name brand and that did it. I kinda hate to even mention this, but that is what made the difference in their case. At least, they thought it did. Could have just been repeating the treatment...I don't know. Again, I think you ought to just call your dr. back. If you are interested in ivermethrin, why don't you ask him about it?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:47 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,189,033 times
I think your doctor is wrong about not treating people who have no signs of infection, since people can be asymptomatic carriers of scabies (and also this is not what my school taught us). See above... also make sure you don't just use the dryer only but hot water. Maybe get a second opinion. My feeling is that you are getting reinfestation from incomplete treatment of other people and the environment.

Public health and prevention strategies

There is no vaccine available for scabies, nor are there any proven causative risk factors. Therefore, most strategies focus on preventing re-infection. All family and close contacts should be treated at the same time, even if asymptomatic. Cleaning of environment should occur simultaneously, as there is a risk of reinfection. Therefore it is recommended to wash and hot iron all material (such as clothes, bedding and towels) that has been in proximity to a scabies infestation.
Cleaning of the environment should include:
  • Treatment of furniture and bedding.
  • Vacuuming floors, carpets and rugs.
  • Disinfecting floor and bathroom surfaces by mopping.
  • Cleaning the shower/bath tub after each use.
  • Daily washing of recently worn clothes, towels and bedding in hot water and then drying in high heat and/or steam ironing.
Scabies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 24,418 times
Question I have a feeling i have somehow become a carrier of scabies. My boyfriend had the symtoms so i treated too, twice

My boyfriend came down w/scabies. After both of us treating (thou I nvr had signs) ourselves, twice & our environment, his symtoms went away. I nvr showed symtoms. I left for 3 days & he & I both were fine, we had intament relations again then and he broke out again! Also, again I had no symtoms! Can a person be a carrier of scabies & not know it? If so...how do I find out & get rid of this. I don't want to lose my boyfriend, yet this has driven a huge wedge between us. Who do I see to determine if I am a carrier? A dermatologist? IDK...but I need help!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 AM

15,656 posts, read 15,588,557 times
I had scabies and did the pyrethrin thingee....wow, that was hard on the skin. I think I should have gone the Ivermectin route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness