U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM

8,521 posts, read 12,777,363 times

Advertisements

I am asking because I sometimes use dating websites and I look at some of the photos and I noticed that some of the fatter women look much older than their age.

Can anyone shed a little POv on this?

I've seen 23y/o that look 36 due in part to how big they are. It's almost scary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,294,354 times
I think excess weight makes it difficult to tell how old a woman is. She could be 30. She could be 40 or 50. Who knows.

Very skinny/boney/no muscle tone often makes people look older than they really are.

Smoking and/or heavy drinking dulls the skin, dries out hair and makes a person look much older than they really are. So does poor nutrition.

Fit people who eat a well balanced diet tend to look healthier and younger than their less fit peers.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 AM

467 posts, read 948,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Fit people who eat a well balanced diet tend to look healthier and younger than their less fit peers.
Agreed

Old 06-02-2010, 12:25 PM

2,551 posts, read 3,445,824 times
I do tend to agree that overweight/obese folks do look older.

But I've seen some really skinny people who look older than their age too. So, I think it goes both ways. If you're too overweight, you'll look older. If you're too skinny, you'll look older too.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 PM

7,290 posts, read 11,877,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I am asking because I sometimes use dating websites and I look at some of the photos and I noticed that some of the fatter women look much older than their age.

Can anyone shed a little POv on this?

I've seen 23y/o that look 36 due in part to how big they are. It's almost scary.
It isn't the weight as much as the result of poor diet and lifestyle choices that lead to the excess weight. Those poor choices are easily reflected in the skin tone, because the body is slowly being strangled from the load placed on it. This isn't usually evident with a couple of excess pounds, but is terribly obvious when obesity is reached.

To that point, if a person keeps weight off, even in the presence of other less-than-healthy choices (not including smoking), they still look better. Excess weight chokes the body slowly, and it's most evident in the skin tone.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 16,483,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think excess weight makes it difficult to tell how old a woman is. She could be 30. She could be 40 or 50. Who knows.

Very skinny/boney/no muscle tone often makes people look older than they really are.

Smoking and/or heavy drinking dulls the skin, dries out hair and makes a person look much older than they really are. So does poor nutrition.

I was going to say the same (the bolded). Some people who are even fitness buffs, seemingly health concious but obsess over maintaining minimal body fat look older than they are as well. You need a healthy amount to look healthy--probably even to live longer, definitely to look good.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:21 PM

10,675 posts, read 10,671,469 times
absolutely. Women in shape look younger/better as often they work out, eat healthy, and take care of themselves to look that way. Being fat/lazy really takes it toll on anyone.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM

314 posts, read 338,148 times
Default yes

when your younger you burn food faster but not always the case. also your face loses it shape and things start to sag which makes you look older since this is seen in older women. also it can cause stretch marks the skin loses it shape furthering the ageing factor smokeing,drinking, and sun also take a part too.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,694,503 times
When it comes to middle-aged and older women excess fat may actually 'smooth' out the wrinkles giving them a 'younger' appearance. Often thin women lack fat in the face which makes wrinkles much more noticeable. Of course this is just a generalization as every woman is different (genes also play a HUGE factor as does tanning and sun exposure).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness