Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Maybe what you're feeling isn't tinnitus but some kind of spinal nerve damage. I have tinnitus, and hearing aids pretty much solve the problem for me (and thousands of others who have it). When I wear the hearing aids regularly (like I'm supposed to), the noise eventually stops after a couple of days. When I forget to wear them, or just don't bother wearing them, the noise comes back over a few days' time and becomes almost constant.
Thanks for posting this. Im looking into hearing aids and ENT said they
could help. I sure hope so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:33 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I have tinnitus related to TMJ syndrome and hearing loss. There are several threads on it in the Health and Wellness forums so just do a basic search and they should come up.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Sometimes I get regular old Tintinitis, but what I get is when I am under the power transmission lines out in my back yard is what I call the big band sounds. It is faint and sounds like a big long drawn out trumpet intro.
"still like's Maynard Ferguson"

Old 12-04-2010, 05:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Sometimes I get regular old Tintinitis, but what I get is when I am under the power transmission lines out in my back yard is what I call the big band sounds. It is faint and sounds like a big long drawn out trumpet intro.
"still like's Maynard Ferguson"
I get the classic ringing as well as phantom sounds like phones ringing or ambulances in the distance.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:35 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times
Default ringing in my ears

I have ferocious ringing in my ears. Its like think of a waterfall, with a snowstorm, and sometimes like a shortwave beeps, and sometimes like the humming of a male choir all mixed into one. Its been that way for years and people ask me how I can stand it. You can used to anything if you have to. Anyone else have anything like that?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
I have a constant buzzing in one ear, and it ranges from loud to almost unbearable. I've been actively looking for a solution. I've been to more than one ENT doctor, been given anti-biotics, prednisone, and even steroid injections in the ear. Tried "tinnitus formula" vitamin/mineral supplements, gingko, healing oils, acupuncture, and chiropractic adjustments. None of these things helped much, or at all. At night, I sleep with a "white noise" machine to help mask the din. I know I could get a hearing aid, but I'm using that as a last resort. I keep holding out, waiting to find something that will quiet the noise.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
I was diagnosed with tinnitus in my left ear about six months ago. This actually came as now suprise to me, having been both a session drummer and a member of one rock band or another for over 20 years. My audiologist told me I have a 30% loss of hearing in that ear due to the constant ringing sound, which he told me was caused by the continual vibration of a teeny tiny bone (the hammerl?) in the ear which perpetually vibrates like a tuning fork due to all that loud music over the years.
But I guess it's not so bad: I lived the diehard rock and roll life for all that time and I escaped it with only two caualties: the tinnitus thing and, uh.....what was I talkin' about?
Oh yeah: the loss of a few brain cells.

Butt that laste theeng realy duzn't bothur me to muhch.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 08-31-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 05:17 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I was diagnosed with tinnitus in my left ear about six months ago. This actually came as now suprise to me, having been both a session drummer and a member of one rock band or another for over 20 years. My audiologist told me I have a 30% loss of hearing in that ear due to the constant ringing sound, which he told me was caused by the continual vibration of a teeny tiny bone (the hammerl?) in the ear which perpetually vibrates like a tuning fork due to all that loud music over the years.
But I guess it's not so bad: I lived the diehard rock and roll life for all that time and I escaped it with only two caualties: the tinnitus thing and, uh.....what was I talkin' about?
Oh yeah: the loss of a few brain cells.

Butt that laste theeng realy duzn't bothur me to muhch.
I'm glad you've kept your sense of humor through all of it.

I was also in a rock band for years. I played the bass, but I always stood right next to the drummer to keep good timing. (Apparently I stool to the right of the drummer a lot, since only my left ear is affected.) Those darned crash cymbals are probably what killed my hearing!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
I have had it for many years.I spent 3 years in the engine room of a diesel propelled ship in the Navy and did 4 hour throttle watches when we were under way which was very often with 15 day trips crossing the Atlantic.Hearing protection was an unknown thing in the late 50s.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
I've had it for many years. Sometimes louder and more annoying than I'd like and other times very faint. It's been a combo package with slight hearing loss and TMJ as Nimchimsky mentioned, high blood pressure and hypothyroidism [both of which taking meds for]. Served in the Navy and worked around communications equipment and yeah, attendance at a few loud concerts and listening to music at home turned up to fairly high levels. Two falls landing on the back of my head didn't help.

Mine sounds like the kettle on the burner whistle most of the time. Very high pitched. I've had at times the triad bell tone that fades out. That's especially annoying when someone comes by and talks to you and you can't hear them until it fades away altogether and have to ask them to repeat themselves. Thank God that doesn't happen very often.

I try not to think about it as some people (esp those who don't have it) tell me to do. Easy for them to say, huh?

There are methods and other herbal meds out there to help alleviate it some but check with your doctor in case you have other medical conditions that could cause a problem with various ingredients.
Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness