Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There is a good book by Mary Chestnut called "Diary From Dixie" In one chapter her and an Englishwoman were talking about "Uncle Tom's Cabin" The Englishwomen remark that it made slaveholders look bad and Mary Chestnut said at least the book spared us the "greatest indignity" She was referring to sexual relations between married white men and their slave women.

You have to remember that plantations were like small villages. A slave holder might be the great grandson of the master of the great grandfathers of his slaves. He could very well be having sex with a woman he has know his whole life.
Black women did not "willingly" have sex with their masters. I really don't where you found that bit of information from. Most black women were raped or had no choice but to have sex with their masters for various reasons. Just because women are mainly attracted to men's wealth today, doesn't mean that that was the case for enslaved women in the 19th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,458,744 times
Whether sex between slave owners and slave women was "consensual" or not - the dynamics are unfair and create a exploitative and emotionally unhealthy relationship. Awful scenario - not to mention a sad one.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM

30,620 posts, read 21,792,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My great great great grandfather had about ten slaves. They were absolutely terrified when the Union Army came through southwest Arkansas, and were very upset because they had no place to go. They didn't want to leave their homes on the farm, and my grandfather didn't want them to leave.

They became sharecroppers and paid workers on the farm. They did not leave. To this day, their descendants and my relatives live in close proximity in that area. We attend each others' weddings and funerals and family reunions. We visit each other and keep up with births and deaths.

A descendant of one of those slaves raised my father alongside his "white mama." He always called her "Mama" as well. Her portrait hangs in the kitchen of the house she worked in - it was her domain and she was the boss there! I remember her well - I loved her with all my heart and she loved me.

Just this past week, I made a trip to that area and made the rounds to visit several of my "cousins" and my "aunties." They invited my father and me and our families to a family reunion the week before Thanksgiving. I'm sure we'll attend.

Time heals.
How very interesting. How did this information flow down to you. Was it word of mouth or written?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
How very interesting. How did this information flow down to you. Was it word of mouth or written?
Both word of mouth AND written. (Thanks for the interest, by the way.)

What was interesting to me was the discovery of the Slave Narratives gathered in the 1930s.

Slave Narratives: A Folk History Of Slavery In The United States From Interviews With Former Slaves, Arkansas Narratives Part 7: Work Projects Administration, George Horrocks: 9781419147715: Amazon.com: Books

These are FASCINATING first hand accounts of life in the southern states for slaves, gathered by state. Reading the chronicles from Arkansas was like reading the stories I'd heard all my life from my family and our neighbors.

I am grateful for my heritage and what I know about it. I am not proud that some of my ancestors owned slaves, but I am glad that they treated them well and that to this day, the families share respect for each other.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Both word of mouth AND written. (Thanks for the interest, by the way.)

What was interesting to me was the discovery of the Slave Narratives gathered in the 1930s.

Slave Narratives: A Folk History Of Slavery In The United States From Interviews With Former Slaves, Arkansas Narratives Part 7: Work Projects Administration, George Horrocks: 9781419147715: Amazon.com: Books

These are FASCINATING first hand accounts of life in the southern states for slaves, gathered by state. Reading the chronicles from Arkansas was like reading the stories I'd heard all my life from my family and our neighbors.

I am grateful for my heritage and what I know about it. I am not proud that some of my ancestors owned slaves, but I am glad that they treated them well and that to this day, the families share respect for each other.
Ive read some of those Narratives before. Very real.

Whats disheartening is when you read about current slavery, It never really stopped in some areas of the world after it ended in the Americas. You could easily plug in the same stories from 160 years ago in 'American' and substitute 'Muritania'or the 'Sudan'. "Same stories, different players".
Slavery's last stronghold

Modern Day Slavery in West Africa «

Last edited by LS Jaun; 01-07-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Ive read some of those Narratives before. Very real.

Whats disheartening is when you read about current slavery, It never really stopped in some areas of the world after it ended in the Americas. You could easily plug in the same stories from 160 years ago in 'American' and substitute 'Muritania'or the 'Sudan'. "Same stories, different players".
Slavery's last stronghold

Modern Day Slavery in West Africa «
You bring up a good point and one that is often overlooked in discussions about slavery.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
You bring up a good point and one that is often overlooked in discussions about slavery.
I think the human brain can only wrap itself around so much at one time. People like looking at things in black and white with no grey on most every topic anyway. It also competes against the idea that it can still exist in Africa today. I was watching a program this weekend that looked at Contemporary slavery, and that by discussing modern day slavery it some how dilluted the attention on the Trans Alantic Slave trade of the past.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,416 times
Stop lying about history, Slavery was a horrible time. I thank, all the Northern White men and free Black men who lay they life's down to see I am a free person today. I believe they are good White men and women, who fought to see my people free. I am a African American, 100% of Black women that had relationship with they southern white masters were RAPED. My Great Grandmothers NEVER, gave their bodies to their hated enemies, our Grand mother's life was worth nothing, in the slave system, raping our bodies was how we survivor it was a choice to live a next day. Slavery was about abuse, murder, rape and even child abuse. They are stories told by ex enslave women and men. It's about time you read it and STOP MAKING UP LIES.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,416 times
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon
My great great great grandfather had about ten slaves. They were absolutely terrified when the Union Army came through southwest Arkansas, and were very upset because they had no place to go. They didn't want to leave their homes on the farm, and my grandfather didn't want them to leave.

They became sharecroppers and paid workers on the farm. They did not leave. To this day, their descendants and my relatives live in close proximity in that area. We attend each others' weddings and funerals and family reunions. We visit each other and keep up with births and deaths.

A descendant of one of those slaves raised my father alongside his "white mama." He always called her "Mama" as well. Her portrait hangs in the kitchen of the house she worked in - it was her domain and she was the boss there! I remember her well - I loved her with all my heart and she loved me.

Just this past week, I made a trip to that area and made the rounds to visit several of my "cousins" and my "aunties." They invited my father and me and our families to a family reunion the week before Thanksgiving. I'm sure we'll attend.

Time heals.

You turn my stomach, these enslave people were condition into slaves. So the African Americans were wronged by the Union army who came to set them free? I don't know any African America who said the vile slave master was a nice person or slavery was a great solution. Slave is unnatural like child abuse if you condition a child that abuse is the right thing, it's will believe it's the norm. Many African American, escaped and fought with the Union army. I am unusual because my folks on my mother side came from the North, and fought against slavery. I never heard of any African American saying slavery was a good thing. Slavery mean no human rights, rape, child abuse, murder, etc. I hope you sign up to be a slave since you think slavery is such a good idea. This poor woman cook for you but never been your equal, if she talk out of term her life would be in danger. As millions of African Americans were killed for talking their minds. As soon as slavery was finish with 24 million African Americans left the South for the North or Canada. I don't believe any of those people stay around,
Arkansas is one vile place also. Only reason Black people are in the south is because of Poverty. If all Blacks living in Jim Crow south was given the choice their leave the south years ago. If you give me billion and I was told I had to live in the South I prefer to be middle class and live in the decent North. The south is a black person HELL even today.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwomanhood111 View Post
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon

Time heals.

[/i]
Quote:
You turn my stomach, these enslave people were condition into slaves.
Say what?

Quote:
So the African Americans were wronged by the Union army who came to set them free?
First of all, I never said that. What I SAID - and what is the TRUTH - is that many slaves were afraid for what would happen to them, since they owned no land, after they were "set free" by the Union army. "Set free" sort of loses it's appeal if you don't have any place to go. The slaves on my great great great great grandfather's farm did not own any land. They didn't want to leave the home they grew up on. They didn't want to leave their families and the places they were familiar with. So after the war, they became sharecroppers. Some of them eventually bought their land and homes from my ancestors. What's so terrible about that? It was a good deal for everyone - the workers were paid, they were free to come and go as they pleased, and the farm was able to continue to operate and provide a living for both black and white families in the area.

Quote:
I don't know any African America who said the vile slave master was a nice person or slavery was a great solution.
You really need to read some TRUE first hand accounts from former slaves - straight from their mouths. May I suggest:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/B008...kd#reader-link

Now - I am not saying that slavery is a great, or even good, or even sometimes acceptable reality. Slavery is abhorrent to me and was NOT AN ETHICAL SYSTEM. I never said it was, so don't misinterpret what I clearly write.

Quote:
Slave is unnatural like child abuse if you condition a child that abuse is the right thing, it's will believe it's the norm.
I agree. I didn't say that slavery as practiced by my former ancestors in Arkansas was RIGHT. I was simply relaying our family history and the history of the AA families in that area and how our families are still linked. I am grateful for those links today - our families MUTUALLY RESPECT EACH OTHER.

I never owned any slaves and neither did my parents. I don't have a shred of guilt on me regarding slavery. I find the very idea repulsive.

Quote:
Many African American, escaped and fought with the Union army.
True, and good for them! I commend their bravery.

Quote:
I hope you sign up to be a slave since you think slavery is such a good idea.
Please don't be ridiculous.

Quote:
This poor woman cook for you but never been your equal, if she talk out of term her life would be in danger.
Are you kidding me????? Julie was not a slave - she was paid and was there completely voluntarily. She ruled that house! She would spank my daddy in an instant, and me too for that matter if I needed it and not a white person on the property dared to cross her when it came to "her" territory, which was the kitchen, lining up people to do odd jobs around the place, keeping kids under control, that sort of thing. And she didn't leave her kids at home while she watched our family's kids - nope, her kids came to work with her and played with my dad. My gosh, they just lived at the foot of the hill, within eyesight of the main house. She was taken care of till the day she died - she didn't even buy her house, my great grandparents just gave it to her. They also gave her sister a house - the house my father was born in and spent the early part of his childhood in. Oh, they gave them the land around the houses too.

Julie and her sisters were loved and respected by both the black and white communities in the area. They were famous for their culinary skills, and then when they retired, they became sort of "wise women" and matchmakers - white and black folks alike often visited them for advice and took potential mates to meet them to get their opinion on them. I even did so with my future husband, and I would have seriously thought twice about marrying him if she had said she disapproved!

Quote:
Arkansas is one vile place also.
I don't live in Arkansas. I don't much care for the state myself, though it has some beautiful areas. I can't help it that some of my ancestors come from there though. How is that my fault?

Quote:
Only reason Black people are in the south is because of Poverty. If all Blacks living in Jim Crow south was given the choice their leave the south years ago. If you give me billion and I was told I had to live in the South I prefer to be middle class and live in the decent North. The south is a black person HELL even today.
I have to ask - is English your native tongue?

Many, many AA people I know LOVE the American South and live here voluntarily and prosperously. My gosh, have you ever been to Atlanta, or Birmingham, or Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History