Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM

12 posts, read 67,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Who have you heard all this information from? No one is alive today who was a slave or owned slaves? Also, some people are very nice to their dogs, but they still own them. Would you like to be owned and have no freedom? Would you like to not be able to even choose who you wanted to marry or have sex with, where you could live, what you could wear, etc. etc.? I don't think anyone would choose to be a slave. Also, if you cannot fathom the fact that a slave would not be able to tell her/his master no, then you need to research slavery. I know if I had been a slave I would have tried repeatedly to escape until I was killed or made it. There is no way I would have lived under someone else's control.

I have read in books about these things but was hoping to get more input from someone who knows more on the subject.

From what I have read, slaves were born into this kind of world and many could not think in another way because this is all they knew. So to many slaves, it did not seem as harsh at the time as what it sounds like to a modern person.

If there were slave owners and familes of slave owners that were actual blood relatives of the slaves, it is not unrealistic to believe that there were cases where slaves were not treated bad on certain farms or plantations. If these people all lived on the same peice of land and were all related, it would make sense that over generations, the same family living there would all do what needs to be done and have their own jobs. Of course not all situations were like this, but some were. I have read this in books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:56 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,311,923 times
I read your sources, and they still do not prove that slaves willingly had sexual relationships with their masters. Would you have told your master no? Is it willing just because you did not fight? No, the master had power over the slave. He had absolute power, and no slave would have told their master no.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,949,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
I read your sources, and they still do not prove that slaves willingly had sexual relationships with their masters. Would you have told your master no? Is it willing just because you did not fight? No, the master had power over the slave. He had absolute power, and no slave would have told their master no.
All I can do is present the sources that substantiate my statements...as I said earlier, if you choose to disagree with them, then that is a separate issue.

Regarding the slaves who would have told their masters no...several did. Ive read stories of slave women beating the sh*t out of their assailants/slave masters...they got whipped for it later, but they definitely said no.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,287,196 times
Early slave owners and slaves actually lived in the same house, ate at the same table, and were basically treated like indentured servants. It wasn't until the 18th century that the plantation system became large enough and society developed enough to truly stratify things and become ever more abusive.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 AM

I am from Alabama and have lived in the South all of my life, and I am white. I know that slavery was wrong, and in any shape or form would be considered unacceptable today. You can claim that there were kind slave holders that treated their slaves well all that you want to. It was still ownership, and people owning other people was not right then just as it is not right today. If you have found books that make slavery sound like some kind of big, happy family, you need to do some more research.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,149,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
That was the substantiation...I said that you or anyone else could just google it and read the same articles that I did when I was researching it. Clearly you dont want to, but that is your choice.
Come back when you have a source you are willing to stand behind.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 AM

Blacks also owned black slaves in US history:

Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM

William Ellison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is an example of a slave that was not treated bad by his owner and was taught many skills. His owner later freed him and the former slave later became South Carolina's largest negro owner and trader of slaves.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,949,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Come back when you have a source you are willing to stand behind.
Come back when you can read the content within the source I posted that clearly states that some black women were willing participants in sexual relationships with slaveholders..

Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Come back when you can read the content within the source I posted that clearly states that some black women were willing participants in sexual relationships with slaveholders..
Would you be willing to be a slave just because you might be owned by a "kind owner" or an owner you find attractive? If everything in your life depended on your relationship with a slaveholder, you might appear to be a willing participant even though it would not be your first choice. Why is this important anyway? Does it make some people feel better about the institution of slavery to imagine that it was in some way good or beneficial for the slave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History