U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,313,744 times

Advertisements

^^I was a History major and if you truly are one then the standards for written composition have declined considerably since me day as an Undergrad/Grad. student.

Deplorable.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 AM

36,951 posts, read 17,431,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
^^I was a History major and if you truly are one then the standards for written composition have declined considerably since me day as an Undergrad/Grad. student.

Deplorable.
It is the new academic style.....employ lots of CAPS and plenty of exclamation marks !!!! in order to demonstrate that all this must be true, look at the passion behind it.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
She was a direct decendent of Greek General Ptolemies and they only married within their own family

Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,155,317 times
I got through 12 pages of this discussion before reaching my verdict in regards to the OP's original question of "was Cleopatra VII "black"?

The verdict: No. She was not African but of Greek/Macedonian descent.

Sadly, that question was answered on page one. The other eleven pages I read was an occasionally factual, often amusing diatribe of pseudo-intellectual, race-baiting history revisionism. God bless the internet.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
I am still trying to figure out why it should matter

Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM

9,121 posts, read 11,666,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Even Egyptian archaeologists acknowledge Rameses II and Seti I had red hair. It really is not a matter of dispute.
I call Bull Feces...LINK please

Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
OK guys, I've read about 3 historical innacuracies on this one page alone. I don't know who said these because they are repeated quotes, but they are wrong:

"Egyptians often depicted themselves no different from those of the Nubian portion of the Nile."

That is incorrect. They did draw people to the south of them, and they were drawn distinctly different...coal black usually. Now Ancient Egyptian art, we are talking about a 2,000 year period, varied of course. Some was realistic (i.e the famous bust of Nefertiti), some of Picasso-esque mishapen images of human. Mostly it seems they colored themselves as reddish brown. But you had two or three kingdoms at one time or another that make up modern day Egypt, some with all it's own art form, with the upper Nile to the south having more of a nubian influence as well.

"the egyptians are africans the people who live there now are the arabs who invaded africa in the 8th century"

Again, incorrect. The egyptians had been invaded from the north east, across the arab lands, not necessarily arabs, since the beggining of recorded time. Peoples from the Steppes (what is now Turkey and Russia), Hykosis, Libyans, and you had Nubians as well. Later you had Persians, Greek, Romans, etc. Some of these invaders stayed for centuries. All this before the birth of Christ. Egypt was a huge melting pot due to it's location. Not so much from the south of Egpyt, except for some Nubian expansion, but that migration of invasions was limited by the deserts and the jungles. It was a natural barrier. My guess is the Hyksos had the greatest influence (and that's really where the iconic Egyptian horse drawn chariot's really originate from).

Egyptians are africans, naturally, because they originate from Africa. That is not the same as saying Egyptians are black. People think there is some kind of concrete barrier at what is now the Suez canal where in ancient times everyone north of that barrier was pale white and everyone south of it was coal black? Recorded history, since about 3,000 BC, is a blink in time for mankind. By the time of the Pharoes the gentic make up and color had already been set by tens of thousands of years of human evolution, it hasn't changed much. It's neither black nor white - if you must classify it, it's probably Semitic white, arab if you will.

Even in Africa you had various shades of course, as it remains still today. Nubains were lighter, probably reflecting the mix with the tribes to the north. West africa is distinctly darker. Less mix with the northern tribes. Geography and ease of access mix with other tribes - invasion routes over sea or land, had a lot to do with it. Geographical boundries would have been oceans, mountains, long stretches of desert, jungle, etc. The sea stretch on the Medditeranian from Egypt to Turkey and north by the way was a common invasion route, in spite of the deserts and the narrow corridor of the Suez. Not so from the interior of Africa to Egypt - no easy route.
To The Bold Black Arabs never were white , but they are classified as Non White Caucasian also the White Caucasian called the Arabs Caucasian Sand N****rs. Arabs are Euroasian that live throughout the Middle East , Mediteranien , Eastern Europe and Southern Europe , Another Euroasian Group live in the Nation Of India which can have skin colors from very light brown skinned to COAL BLACK Caucasian

Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,155,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I call Bull Feces...LINK please

It is believed that Ramesses II was essentially crippled with arthritis and walked with a hunched back for the last decades of his life. A recent study excluded ankylosing spondylitis as a possible cause of the pharaoh's arthritis. A significant hole in the pharaoh's mandible was detected. Researchers observed "an abscess by his teeth (which) was serious enough to have caused death by infection, although this cannot be determined with certainty." Microscopic inspection of the roots of Ramesses II's hair proved that the king's hair was originally red, which suggests that he came from a family of redheads. This has more than just cosmetic significance: in ancient Egypt people with red hair were associated with the god Seth, the slayer of Osiris, and the name of Ramesses II's father, Seti I, means "follower of Seth."

Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

It is believed that Ramesses II was essentially crippled with arthritis and walked with a hunched back for the last decades of his life. A recent study excluded ankylosing spondylitis as a possible cause of the pharaoh's arthritis. A significant hole in the pharaoh's mandible was detected. Researchers observed "an abscess by his teeth (which) was serious enough to have caused death by infection, although this cannot be determined with certainty." Microscopic inspection of the roots of Ramesses II's hair proved that the king's hair was originally red, which suggests that he came from a family of redheads. This has more than just cosmetic significance: in ancient Egypt people with red hair were associated with the god Seth, the slayer of Osiris, and the name of Ramesses II's father, Seti I, means "follower of Seth."
That's very unusal because Euroasian are a dark skin racial group with only straight black hair , however I have had some African American friends who through some genetic quirk had ( Brown or Red ) hair. Case in point Macolm X was called RED as his Moniker because he had RED HAIR but was of course a African American.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
That's very unusal because Euroasian are a dark skin racial group with only straight black hair , however I have had some African American friends who through some genetic quirk had ( Brown or Red ) hair. Case in point Macolm X was called RED as his Moniker because he had RED HAIR but was of course a African American.
Yes and there's no possibility that could have come from an ancestral slave owner. I'm sure most serious scholars still believe she was Greek and had red hair as they did when I was in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or