U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 AM

14,513 posts, read 11,495,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am still trying to figure out why it should matter
me too calipoppy, seems to be a top agenda on some threads..

Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM

253 posts, read 414,235 times
As many others have stated, she was of Macedonian Greek ethnicity. Unfortunately, modern historical study is tinged with a strain of revisionism. While I am open to the idea of continual re-examination of history in a search for accuracy, this 'feel-good' revisionism is deplorable.

It reminds me of the book 1984 by George Orwell. If the past is no longer desirable, simply change it.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM

9,131 posts, read 11,672,514 times
Default Cleopatra VII of Course Was White Caucasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
While I admit there is a slight possiblity she could have had a small amount of "black" blood (since the exact identity of her mother is unknown) there is no question a majority of her blood was Macedonian Greek. She was born into a family of incest and inbreeding.

The story below in Essence magazine is quite ridiculous as well as ignorant.

How anyone can graduate college let alone high school and think Cleopatra was a "black queen" is unbelievable.

================================================== ================================================== ==============

""Gasp, the nerve! "She's got the perfect look?" Honestly, I don't care how full Angelina Jolie's lips are, how many African children she adopts, or how bronzed her skin will become for the film, I firmly believe this role should have gone to a Black woman. ""

"Why does Hollywood think it's even slightly plausible to cast White women in roles that would be more sensible to cast a Black actress for? Especially when that role is an African queen."

"Now, Jolie is set to play Cleopatra, who isn't as technically perfect as some would claim if you study the Queen of the Nile's distinguished history."

Commentary: Another White Actress to Play Cleopatra? - Essence.com (http://www.essence.com/entertainment...pa.php?page=29 - broken link)
Cleopatra VII did not come from Native Stock . but was a invader ( Native Stock was Non-White Caucasian ) Euroasian and ( Black African ) and mixture of those groups. White Caucasian invaded the Nile River Basin.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 AM

14,513 posts, read 11,495,704 times
I watched a great show on TV with the lovely Harry Belafonte the other evening, he spoke about many things but when he mentioned black people in movies he related to them being treated like visitors for films like Carmen.. I know exactly what he meant....

Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM

19,362 posts, read 13,027,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Red hair?!
She may have used henna on her hair. Henna was a favorite cosmetic of the Pharaohs for ages.
But she was, most likely, all Greek, and Greeks have red hair. The Greeks upheld all of the ancient Pharaonic traditions including incest, so as to be seen as legitimate leaders of Egypt.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM

6,948 posts, read 2,032,423 times
Does it matter? The woman was African, specifically Egyptian. The history of her life is African history and thus, world history.

All of this black/white categorization is a recent invention.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,536,153 times
Mmmm. A few things they got wrong. One, mass slavery in Africa was not started by Europeans, but by Arabs. It doesn't excuse Europeans, but we can't have amnesia to the other slave trade routes. Christianity and Islam were imposed. Although Christianity had already been in Africa before Europeans. Egypt was no more a White nation than it was a Black nation. It was an African nation. And Cleopatra was basically Greek. The rest I agree with. Jim Crow and Apartheid would be to other big ones.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Caucasoid is an arbitrary parameter created in the 19th century. It is a residue, an anachronism. Two people can be 'Caucasoid' and not be closely related. Craniofacial plasticity is much more variable than was originally thought, so racial claims on craniofacial parameters are foolish. In microcosms, you might be able to show some relationship, but in global macrocosms, there are more mistakes than accuracy. Polytopicity is when two different groups of organisms that are not related end up having similar traits.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:05 PM

More like, if they are in similar environments, common factors may play a role in similar attributes. For example people in the circum Sahara developed thinner noses overall because of the dryer, hotter air. In Europe the colder dryer air had a similar effect. When we see broader features, they tend to be more recent migrations to dryer regions from more humid climates. Of course other factors can come into play as well. For example Neanderthals had wide nasal cavities but a very long nose that did a similar function to a thin nose. Clothing has played a huge role in allowing people with certain traits to migrate to regions they did not do so well in naked.

Humanity is infinitely diverse and a beautiful thing. We are playdoh to the environment. And now we change the environment to us.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:08 AM

3,077 posts, read 2,217,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I call Bull Feces...LINK please
Just google these quotes.

Scientific analysis of his (Ramses II) has confirmed that inhis youth, the king was indeed a natural redhead. (Tyldesley 2001).

Thuya's hair is luxuriant and the same auburn color (asTiye's). The hair is naturally auburn. (El Mahdy, 2001).

Seti I had red hair (Roberts, 2004)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or