U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,505,641 times

Advertisements

Just read this article about tese stones found in Viking graves:"Thor's Hammer" Found in Viking Graves
And another one to off-set some of the recent posts on how evil the Vikings were
Vikings' Barbaric Bad Rap Beginning to Fade
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 AM

11,234 posts, read 7,313,552 times
The headline "Thor's Hammer Found" isn't merely misleading, it is an unambiguous lie. The article says they found:
Quote:
fist-size stone tools resembling the Norse god Thor's hammerhead—were actually purposely placed as good-luck talismans, archaeologists say.
Something which has never existed, cannot be found. We aren't going to be coming across Paul Bunyan's axe nor Don Quixote's lance nor the Anvil of Krom.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:02 PM

7,080 posts, read 7,261,792 times
A 'Thor's Hammer' is a common name for a religious talisman shaped to resemble a hammer, specifically Mjolnir, the mythological hammer carried by Thor.

To suppose that the headline was implying that the actual hammer of Thor was found is laughable.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
A 'Thor's Hammer' is a common name for a religious talisman shaped to resemble a hammer, specifically Mjolnir, the mythological hammer carried by Thor.

To suppose that the headline was implying that the actual hammer of Thor was found is laughable.
It is laughable because the above is supposedly such common knowledge?

In any event, the proper headline would have been "Replica of Thor's Hammer Found", or "Thor's Hammer Pendant Found" Even the employment of the indefinite article, such as you used "A Thor's Hammer Found" would have been acceptable. But the headline made no such discrimination, did it? It said that Thor's Hammer had been found.

I looked up Thor's Hammer online and cannot find any references where the distinction between The Hammer and the artifacts you reference isn't being made, this appears to be unique to you.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:08 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,021,708 times
Actually, since it keeps "Thor's Hammer", it implies more of a naming convention than a striking device owned by somebody named Thor. But, I guess if it bothers you so much you can write to National Geographic's customer service here: ngsline@customersvc.com

Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Appreciate it.

I got my reply already, they sided with me.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:57 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,021,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Appreciate it.

I got my reply already, they sided with me.
Excellent. Time for a celebratory beer.

Now, regarding the actual content of the first article (which I admittedly skimmed), it seems that they may be making a bit of a jump in ascribing a certain significance to a "lucky charm". Thor's Hammer amulets have been found throughout Scandinavia, none of which remotely resemble a stone-headed hammer. Aside from saga descriptions of the item, the previously found amulets are the only artifacts that give an impression of what Thor's hammer was believed by people of the time to look like. To take what resembles a miniature stone age hammer head and ascribe it the significance of Thor-worship without any other archaeological or documentary evidence pointing in that direction is to take quite a leap.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM

739 posts, read 436,101 times
If Thor was careless with his hammer, he would end up with a thor thumb!!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM

9,595 posts, read 4,865,820 times
NO NO NO They found the Real Thor's Hammer at the bottom of that big crater in Arizona, I saw it on the last Iron Man Movie

Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 AM

739 posts, read 436,101 times
You don't want to take a hit in the Thor-ax with a Thor hammer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History