Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM

9 posts, read 13,382 times

Advertisements

Younger generations have watched too much tv growing up. There are many ego maniacs in the younger generation and this has caused over the top jealously over everyday things that should not matter. Political correctness also has caused several problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Here's a good quote about our current state, it compares George Orwell's 1984 with Huxley's Brave New World:
What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us.
Looks like Huxley got it right.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:48 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
American Culture today is three things: Obesity, Ignorance, and "The world is me" attitude.

Obesity because statistics show approximately 1/3 of American people are overweight or obese. This is no doubt owed to the prevalent car culture and abundant access to cheap, unhealthy food. You might want to look at a nutrition chart the next time you order two McDoubles fatso. It has 920 mg of Sodium and 65 mg of cholesterol per burger.

Ignorance because let's face it; most Americans are stupid and brainwashed from day one to accept the establishment of government and of social class stratification. Go to school for 14 years (pre-school through high school), go to college another 4 (go ahead, get into debt its ok ), work most of the rest of your life, take a retirement for 5 to 10 years, then croak. Education is hit in miss in this country. But overall, they teach you just enough to be a functional worker. A single minded drone. If you have no idea what the capital of Iran is and who the president is, your the kind of person this message pertains to. Heres a link: Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, time to get educated.

Generation "ME"- Made official when Time magazine made the person(s) of the year: You. Youth nowadays waste there time online posting on blogs (yea I know that's what I'm doing right now), playing WOW, tweeting, posting on their facebook wall, texting, and just generally acting indifferent to the world around them. Go to a park today. How many people do you see there? How many people would you have seen 15 years ago? My point exactly. This also ties into point number one: Obesity.
Honestly, i could care less what the capital if Iran is

Old 09-05-2010, 10:10 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
As much as I hate to say this... bringing back the draft might be something that would bring back some unity.... just a thought
Kind of like the unity it promoted the last time we had a draft during an unpopular, optional Asian war?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
our massive disfunctionalism stems from a lack of culture not a new culture. we had culture but we rejected it (1963). culture fosters practical and efficient behavior, not 50% divorce rate and highest prison population on earth.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

YouTube - Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES

Old 09-06-2010, 01:13 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
We have lost our sense of identity because of all the multiculturelism crap.We are bringing in new people at such a rate, they care nothing for the history or culture of this country. It is for the dollar and that is all. And the schools are a flippin' mess. Every year it is new type of teaching when the good old ABC's, reading and writing and arithmetic gave children the basics and they could go on from there, however they wanted to. They do not teach Civics or Social Studies or History anymore so how can the kids know what this country and, in turn the larger world, is all about. And, I honestly think half of the country is on drugs.....it is pitiful. Most Americans are fat and drug ridden. What is there to be proud of anymore? Our government ignores us, they do nothing for the good of the country but what is good for their pockets.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
our massive disfunctionalism stems from a lack of culture not a new culture. we had culture but we rejected it (1963). culture fosters practical and efficient behavior, not 50% divorce rate and highest prison population on earth.
[O]ur massive d[y]sfunctional[ism] stems from a lack of culture not a new culture.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Does everyone have to turn into their parents?

Frankly, I am at an absolute loss for words when some writes in the negative that "the past couple of generation blah, blah, blah..." when the fact is hundreds of thousands of these members of the younger generation have voluntarily been engaged in two costly wars from almost a decade! In just the last month, three young men, two of whom were African American and one of Puerto Rican descent all in their twenties who volunteered for military service. Before that they were full-time students holding down full time jobs. Then I think about another group of high school seniors, and young college students who I have known for more than a decade who are deeply compassionate for other humans, who are deeply committed to learning, and living creative and useful lives.

So it begs the question, who are these "couple of past generations" that you know or are talking about, because I haven't met them.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, define culture in the context of your question.

what do the wars in the middle east have to do with culture going down the drain? look at Europe, they have culture still, germany went through mutliple depressions devastated in 2 world wars, and was divided for 45 years, yet it still retains culture and familiy value, the wars have nothing to do with it, and to let you know just a few years ago they were scared to show pride in their country as they would be labled neo nazis, but the world cup has helped ease this.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
I don't think squat of it anymore as i'll stay stuck in the 70's and 80's culture

I admit that i was surprised to see KFC and McDonalds all thru out Central America when i was in the navy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History