Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Six former U.S. soldiers taken prisoners of war in the Philippines by the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II have failed to receive apologies from private industries that used them as slave labor.

The former POWs are currently touring Japan with their families on a visitation program sponsored by the Japanese government.

Ex-POWS touring Japan disappointed at not receiving apologies from firms over slave labor - The Mainichi Daily News (http://mdn.mainichi.jp/features/news/20100917p2a00m0na019000c.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Denial ain't just da river in da Egypt for the Japanese. They still, as a nation, have never faced their war machine's unscrupulous brutality--not just to combatants (captured or not), but to civilians. Besides slave labor, when you experiment on people with gas gangrene shells, that's pretty mean. When you force women into prostitution, that's pretty mean.

The odd part is that many Japanese still resent Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as if their country hadn't absolutely and completely earned about ten more. Not that I wish we had, but there would have been nothing immoral about it. After their atrocities in Korea, China, the Philippines and everywhere, they ought to be glad we didn't use four bombs and bracket Tokyo--which would effectively have erased it.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Well, they are not in America are they?
We are used to being overly apologetic and usually insincere. This was from 70 years ago, are any of us responsible for what our father or grandfathers did?
War is hard. Perhaps the men should reflect on the fact they were not killed.

Even today there are prisons where a person's family has to arrange for food for a prisoner.
In WW2 we sent food to Japan for our men, too often it was not given to our men.
I suggest to all to see a old film called King Rat

Old 09-19-2010, 03:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Well, they are not in America are they?
We are used to being overly apologetic and usually insincere. This was from 70 years ago, are any of us responsible for what our father or grandfathers did?
War is hard. Perhaps the men should reflect on the fact they were not killed.

Even today there are prisons where a person's family has to arrange for food for a prisoner.
In WW2 we sent food to Japan for our men, too often it was not given to our men.
I suggest to all to see a old film called King Rat
Corporations can be held responsible for past crimes.

What the Japanese did was commit serious war crimes, in violations of international agreements.

If I were those men I would have not been so non-violent, nor would I have waited so many decades to get justice.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What the Japanese did was commit serious war crimes, in violations of international agreements.

If I were those men I would have not been so non-violent, nor would I have waited so many decades to get justice.
What's more, whether or not the Japanese were signatories to the international agreements, they chose to take the actions. They were not stupid, obviously; they were human beings who understood perfectly well that their fellow human beings do not enjoy protracted rape, being biological weapon test animals, slave labor or starvation. They simply considered anyone but themselves less human. If you're going to commit atrocities, you'd better win the war, because if you do not, you may reap the whirlwind. And when you do, you'd better not whine about it and try to pretend you didn't have it coming.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:57 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,118 times
They obviously know little of Japan. The only thing the Japanese think they did wrong in WWII was lose. Their lack of guilt over the war has been richly documented for decades.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quite true. Unlike Germany, they've not accepted they did wrong. Their schools don't even teach that the atrocities happened (and if they even mention anything, dismiss it as a few soldiers and not widespread).

Our treatment of Japan after the war was very different than Germany's, and it shows...

Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 PM

In the last twenty years conservative (aka fascist) Japanese politicians have rewritten Japanese school books to remove even the mild comments there before. A former Japanese prime minister of the last decade was famous for deliberately attending a shrine full of major war criminals - one the Japanese Emperor himself refused to go to.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Being fair to the Japanese, many disagree with the rejection of guilt. Including the present PM.

Japan PM shuns shrine, apologizes at WWII ceremony - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100815/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_war_shrine - broken link)

Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
It is time to let it go into history.

As far as the corporations that used slave labor, Mitsubishi a maker of cars for example, used slave labor but I doubt a single person who was responsible for any mistreatment is currently employed by the company. Everyone working there today had nothing to do with the war years and have nothing to apologize for.

It's like me being required for slavery of 200 years ago.... I wasn't around, I am innocent and will not apologize for an act I had nothing to with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History