Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:04 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody ever wondered why we never deployed another atomic bomb to quickly bring the Korean War to an end? Was it ever under consideration?
Why did we not take out Saddam in Desert Storm? Why did we not negotiate with Hess for the "separate peace" he was offering?

I'll answer one of those questions and you can draw your own conclusions about the others. Saddam had to stay in power to continue to present a credible threat to surrounding nations so they would be williing to buy billions of dollars worth of defense equipment. No Saddam, no sales.

How many billions have been spent defending South Korea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
i don't get this.
I can add that in Vietnam, when the Sandies ran out of bombs, they would load up with sand bags and drop them on NVA positions.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 734 times
Pres. Nixon, in 1969, had the Joint Chiefs draw up plans for the use of Nukes on North Korea after they shot down the Navy EC-121 spy plane. Twenty five B-52s were sent go Kimpo Air Base and were on 15 minute readiness for almost 7 months. Planes from Guam, Japan and Okinowa were also ready to fly. If Vietnam had gone better than it was, Tricky Dicky would have Nuke North Korea in a heart beat. Korean Forces US/ROK weew at DEFCON-2 status for almost two months.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
North Korea is nothing but a bunch of very small mountains and a lot of large hills. My entire time was on the front lines and have pictures that I took showing the valley I was in and surrounded by those Hills/Mountains.

Atomic or Nitrogen would not do any damage at all unless every plant or Military position was in one of those valleys similar to what I was in.

We fired our 105's over the top of those small mountains. We fired many rounds between two of them called TNT (Jane Mansfield type) at the Chinese positions.

I was in the ammo section and we were using up WW1 Ammo with bad fuses.....fired a round and NO Explosion.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The USSR exploded its first atomic bomb in 1949. By 1950, when the Korean War began its certain that they had a number of bombs in their arsenal.

President Truman's concern from the very outset of the Korean War, was to keep a limited, regional war from mushrooming into a world war. There no thermonuclear weapons in 1950 and I don't think there was a notion per se that atomic bombs would lead to the end of the world. There was a genuine bonafide concern though that the US could easily end up in World War III.

The US had rapidly demobilized its armed forces at the end of World War II. The forces we maintained in Europe after demobilization might have been totally insufficient to stop the Russians had they attacked in Germany. In fact, one of the reasons the Korean War took as long as it did for us to push North Koreans back across the 48th Parallel (into North Korea) was that our armed forces had lost much of their fighting edge. Truman and his advisors were responding to the fact that: 1. Americans did not want World War III; 2. There was a belief we could win a limited war in Korea if we would accept something less than total victory; 3. Our people and armed forces were not ready for another World War after one had just ended five years before; 4. There was a strong belief in Washington that communism could be defeated by "containing it".

I think history has proven Truman right.
I think these facts led to Truman being one of the least popular presidents post WW2. However in hindsight the judgement has changed and his handling of the war and transition of America from wartime to peacetime was quite well managed.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody ever wondered why we never deployed another atomic bomb to quickly bring the Korean War to an end? Was it ever under consideration?
If using A-bomb became usual thing we would live in the nuclear hell today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History