U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,759,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Remember? I think he did that in one radio show or another until he retired a few years ago. He was on the air forever.
Did he? I stopped listening to him when I became more into hair metal and all that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,759,031 times
Remember the MTV news with, say, Adam Curry?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,082,304 times
I recall the 70s with 11%+ inflation, 11%+ unemployment two mile long gas lines, four day a week mail service, and a 10% surcharge on my income taxes. Still it seems there was a lot less complaining about it than there is now. I guess people wanted to be Americans then

Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 AM

4,059 posts, read 2,849,204 times
Quote:
...cleoT...For me, being a parent, the biggest advantage of today is that my kids have access to unknown amounts of knowledge throught the Internet. I grew up in a low-income household and we didn't even own an encyclopedia. I look back now and see that disadvantage and thank God my children have knowledge at their fngertips.
This is interesting. We were low-income household (see post on thread about when did medieval times end) and when I was 6-7 years old, my parents bought a set of Compton's Pictured Encyclopedias(1940 something edition) and by the age of 12, I had read or perused the whole set. Still have them somewhere. But, I came from a family that came from yeoman or upper middle class stock and had fallen on hard times and were readers of anything and everything.

My grandkids are not readers, though they try and please me and are definitely children of their age....i.e. the internet, reality shows are their reality, a lack of community or extended family. somehow, I feel like I have failed them....

The '80's were a world I could still recognize but, 2010 is a little foreign to me.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 AM

5,049 posts, read 3,436,327 times
I reckon that home prices in the 80s were less expensive compared to now.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 AM

9,929 posts, read 5,145,660 times
Ah the 80s.

The beginning of the 80s I was very young and all I remember is being afraid. I was afraid I would never get to drive a car because there would be no gas left.

I was afraid we were going to go to war with Iran.

I was afraid the world would be blown up in a nuclear war.

Keep in mind, I was very young and this is all I remember from the early 80s.

I remember Reagan getting shot.

However, towards the mid to late 80s, I remember a lot of fun. I remember Duran Duran and "new wave", (man was I into that), Blondie, Sex Pistols, punk, reggae, and that it seemed that the UK and US were the best of pals.

I remember a whole lot of hope.

We could go outside and play and not be too afraid of someone abducting us, (in the cities you still had to be careful but...let me share a story:

When I was 14, we went to DC and then to FL to visit relatives. Now, this was back when you could actually go your ways from your family and meet up at a certain time. I was in DC, this enormous city, (to me), and got totally and completely lost. I'm 14 years old, wandering around. Do you know, everyone in DC was really nice to me? Every. One. Found my way back and that is what I remember about DC...that everyone was nice to me when I was lost and that they were going to have a break dancing competition, (I passed by where it was being set up), and I was going to miss it. I was bummed!

Then we went to FL. We eventually wound up in Disney. Again, we went our separate ways, because you could do that then. My parents would go off on their own, my brothers would go off on their own and I would go by myself. I always managed to meet a young boy my age or one year younger no matter where we went and what we did, when we split up like this. Always! And I and the young boy would hang out until his parents came to get him.

So it happened at Disney. This young boy and I were having a blast at the go-cart track. We did this ride over and over and over again. On the last time through where we were together, I noticed a blonde man standing on the "overpass" of the go cart track. Something about him didn't sit right with me, and I could tell he was looking at me and the boy.

I didn't brush it off but I was with someone so I felt more safe. After that round through the track, when we got done, the boy's parents were there to get him. I was now by myself. I noticed the blonde man was still there, still looking at me. I just decided to get back in line and do the go cart again. And he stared at me from that "over pass" the whole time.

Feeling like I should get out of there, when I got done with the go cart, I left and looked for some other place to go, making sure to be aware if that blonde man was following me. He was.

I walked fast over to Space Mountain where the line was out the door. I got in line, I'm last in line and there is nothing between me and the blonde man, who is walking towards me. I started to panic a little bit because the people I was standing next to a) didn't know me and b) were not paying attention to me at all. This blonde man could easily come and take my hand and if I raised a fuss, could say he was my dad or older brother. I was sure of that.

He got closer and closer and I really started to panic. Now, see, we had manners back in the 80s. We did not interrupt peoples conversations, we did not butt in to their lives, we were courteous. This upbringing for some reason made it difficult for me to interrupt the family standing to my right in line, (with no one to my left and the blonde man getting closer), add in the fear that was growing and I could not speak.

I started to sweat and get really anxious when at the very last moment, like a fricken miracle, another family got in line, placing me between two families and blocking me from the blonde man. He stopped. He stared. He knew I knew he was there. I was shaking I was that scared. But now I was flanked by two families and he wasn't going to do anything, that I knew.

I went on the ride, came out, looked around with extreme caution and made my way to the family meeting point. Eventually the family showed and I never saw that blonde man again.

Other than that incident, I never had a fear of going out and doing things on my own. And no, I never told my family about that. They still don't know that story, to this day.)

The 80s started out in fear, ended up in hope. A lot of new things started to emerge in the 80s and while sure, some of the hairstyles and clothing were a bit embarrassing, (now), overall, the 80s was a whole lot of fun.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM

4,998 posts, read 4,990,568 times
The 80s were the last decade where Internet use wasn't widespread.. it was also the last decade of the Cold War (if you don't count the 1st 2 years of the 90s where it was basically dying down.) So I can see how you feel that the 80s were the first decade that felt "old" and the 90s weren't as different as today.

Being born in the 80s, spending my teens in the 90s was an interesting experience - seeing the latest technological developments with the Internet unfold while growing up at the same time.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:10 AM

1,148 posts, read 623,727 times
The early 80's we were in recession which was a holdover from the 1970's. Automation had begun and manufacturing jobs were disappearing or just beginning to be sent overseas. In business circles, there was talk of shifting to a service economy. I remember Luis Rukeyser's dry puns. Even as the recovery started, the decade seemed to have a sense of hollowness to it. Some of the old Cold Warriors were still predicting a third world war with the Soviet Union, this was the justification for billions in deficit spending.. Thankfully, this never materialized. Despite all this, there was a remnant of the "old order" there. The US was a major stabilizing force then, and in the foreseeable future. The S&L crisis of 87 was a foreshadow of the dark things to come two decades later..

While the 60's and 70's were decades of exploration and social change, the 80's were overindulgent and the clothes and music certainly reflected this.

The older generations during that time still retained the formalism and, in my opinion, professionalism of times past. The present time is much more chaotic, with less boundaries both social and political. The coming years will contain more challenges and surprises both good and bad. ..

Old 12-14-2013, 12:57 PM

7,471 posts, read 7,810,121 times
Probably about as different as the 1920s were from the 80's.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 AM

4,998 posts, read 4,990,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Probably about as different as the 1920s were from the 80's.
Yes, as long as we're not talking about the music..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History