U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 PM

11,896 posts, read 14,368,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I reckon that home prices in the 80s were less expensive compared to now.
One big difference is whatever you paid for your home, you had a reasonable expectation of selling it for more. Foreclosures were not as common and short sales about unheard of.

Last edited by pvande55; 12-18-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Redundancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times
I was the class of 82. One thing I really miss was being completely "disconnected" re: cell phones and the internet.
Damn, I don't think we even had an answering machine until the late/mid 80s. If people couldn't get a hold of you, they would eventually come by your house or leave a note on your doorstep. Today, I am constantly having my life dictated by calls at any moment - from my wife to my boss (who btw, "expects all his people to be reachable 7x24!!). Sometimes I just want to take the damn cell phone and smash it into a thousand pieces and go back to living 80s style with no freaking "smart phone" in my pocket. I feel sorry that kids/people from the cell phone/internet era will never know what it's like to live a life where you are not connected to the Matrix 24hrs a day.. I can tell you it was a good feeling that I miss!!!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:29 PM

769 posts, read 890,290 times
Then : No internet, no cell phones, and Hollywood came up with original movies
Now: internet, cell phones, Hollywood is now hollyweird, and produces awful remakes of movies from the 80s

Old 08-11-2016, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 385 times
I think people generally had more respect for one another. Everything was done in person, not texting. There was more mischief than serious crime. Pot and booze was the norm, not heroin and crack. The music and mood of the country was far better. Everyone seemed to have a job. I would love to go back to an era in which you could cut loose without hurting anyone. The camaraderie built in the video game parlors was great also. American pride was pretty high in comparison to now. The 1980s was a great period to be young.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:54 AM

135 posts, read 81,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmckrell12 View Post
I think people generally had more respect for one another. Everything was done in person, not texting. There was more mischief than serious crime. Pot and booze was the norm, not heroin and crack. The music and mood of the country was far better. Everyone seemed to have a job. I would love to go back to an era in which you could cut loose without hurting anyone. The camaraderie built in the video game parlors was great also. American pride was pretty high in comparison to now. The 1980s was a great period to be young.
Partially true and partially romanticized. Statistically speaking crime rates, specifically violent crime rates, are lower now than they were in the late 80's. Cities like New York for instance were cesspools of filth and crime. And crack was far more prevalent then than it is now, it was the height of the crack epidemic after all. Your point on general respect and pride is probably true though, as well as the music

Old 08-12-2016, 11:46 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,207,940 times
This thread was started so long ago. Interesting how much the perspectives have changed even since the thread started!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:13 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,949,860 times
the VHS tape has become extinct, use to be worth a lot back in the 1980's, video rental stores use to make you leave a $80 deposit in case you didnt return it

now they're worthless, you cant even give them away, most people dont even have a VHS player anymore, they're obsolete

I throw them in the garbage now, they start breaking easily when you rewind and dont last the tape becomes brittle with time / age.

the tape gets jammed in the player and ruins the tape when you try to remove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or