U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,384,522 times

Advertisements

I was a kid in the 80s and Im at the point in my life now where all my straight friends are starting thier families. The way parents discipline children is very different. I was spanked when I got in trouble until I was old enough to loose my allowance, which was $5 a week. Nowadays you really cant hit your kid at all, its all about time outs.

Everything seemed alot cheaper too. I could go to the movies and buy a popcorn for less than $5. Cigarettes were something like $1.50, not sure but my mom used to send me down to the store to buy them for her. I cant remember the price.

Also, I remember never wanting to stay inside, I always wanted to be outside even in the dead of winter. I never see kids outside playing anymore, its really sad. Im very glad I grew up when I did because I think MTV and the Internet really did change society forever.

Lastly, Nintendo was about as high tech as games got. I still have my Nintendo at my grandmas house and I would totally break out Double Dragon if I thought the system would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,012 times
World War 2 vets were younger in the 1980s so there were a lot of older men who told interesting stories to kids about battles around the world.

Many younger kids in the 1980s had fathers who served in the Vietnam War due to the draft.

More older no nonsense men who were mentally tough.

Not at diverse but cities were almost as diverse (Wash DC suburbs)

Probably slightly more family values.

Kids never wore helmets riding bicycles.

Probably could get away with slightly more (laws)

Not hugely different. Biggest difference (besides computer upgrades) are basic personalities of "adults" were more mature in the 1980s compared to today. It was something different be 40 years old in the 1980s then today. This could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,683,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark11 View Post
Kids never wore helmets riding bicycles.

Nowadays the only person you'll see a person riding a bicycle without a helmet is a parent out cycling with his kid (who is wearing a helmet).

Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,702,785 times
I was doing the grunge scene in Seattle in the early 80's, in fact, it was before the moniker, 'grunge' had been established.

Reagan was President and it sucked, financially. Jobs were hard to come by. The late 70's and early 80's were a blast. Disco and punk. The punk scene was fun, fun, fun. No drugs for me, just fun.

I see no difference in diversity, whatsoever. I've lived in various places and my junior high was about 80% Black; HS about 50/50. I've lived in the city and I've lived and went to school on a reservation in Montana. Maybe it's just me, but I've always hung with a mixture of people from various races, including Whites, so it's not more diverse now than it was then from my angle. I'd say no change.

In the 80's I could buy a good car for 700-800 bucks, and have it last a few years. I couldn't buy a piece of metal with rusted wheels for that now. MTV came on T.V. (if you had cable!!!) and they, get this..............they played music videos. They had V.J.s! No internet, no cell phones, and you could still see a Pinto that ran. No mass shootings until that horrible event at the McDonald's in California. I'll never forget the sorrow I felt when I heard of that incident. Then, it was shocking and unbelievable, now, I've become desensitized to mass shootings. They will never be normal, but I don't feel the shock and disbelief now as I did then. My generation (I'm 52) had never heard of people 'going postal', or kids shooting multiple classmates. There were no metal detectors. You didn't get frisked to get on a plane.

I miss the old MTV. LOL, Madonna shocked people (not me!) with her "Like a Virgin" song. Mother's went crazy back then, now they let their daughter's wear tee-shirts that say degrading things, like. "now you've had me so go away" Yes, I actually saw a young teen girl wearing a tee-shirt with that phrase.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 PM

4,296 posts, read 6,110,636 times
The 80s were awesome. If for nothing else then for the movies, television shows, and of course the music (for me it was metal, and of course the "big hair" bands). The economy was booming, there were no major wars, and just an overall sense of optimism, especially in the latter half of the decade.

One pet peeve though.. The "2010s" have not occurred yet, and just like with the 80s there is no established identity only one or two years into it. We have gotten off to a rocky start with less optimism, involvement in two major wars, plus the threat of an energy/food crisis in the near future. And of course the economy, 2010 was a rough start in that regard as well.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM

16,454 posts, read 21,449,577 times
I can only barely remember the 80's as I was fairly young then. It strikes me that there was more freedom, more intelligent people around still (older people then, and, for instance, we had an intelligent president in Reagan), things were more conservative politically, the old NES was the greatest thing since sliced bread as a kid (but I and most others still spent most of our time outside not inside), the Cold War was nearing its end but few truly knew it until communism began collapsing (I mean consider it was the time Red Dawn came out, and speaking of that, a lot of my favorite movies came out then)...I rather miss the 80's, the 2000's have sucked, the 1990's were interesting but also sucked in most ways...

Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,927,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The 80s were awesome. If for nothing else then for the movies, television shows, and of course the music (for me it was metal, and of course the "big hair" bands). The economy was booming, there were no major wars, and just an overall sense of optimism, especially in the latter half of the decade.

One pet peeve though.. The "2010s" have not occurred yet, and just like with the 80s there is no established identity only one or two years into it. We have gotten off to a rocky start with less optimism, involvement in two major wars, plus the threat of an energy/food crisis in the near future. And of course the economy, 2010 was a rough start in that regard as well.
Sounds like more of a description of the '70s, except for a second war as well as the '73-74 recession being less severe than the current one (although more severe than any recession since the Depression, far more severe and long-lasting than the recession at the beginning of the decade, and much longer lasting than the "Depression of 1958", the first post-war recession)

BTW at the beginning of the '80s the economy was not booming

Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 PM

948 posts, read 1,201,007 times
The schools had more social classes, Not as in social politics, social as in providing a forum for personal interaction.
We had Auto shop with a great teacher who also owned a auto shop. There was no lack of tools and his mechanics would come and help us rebuild a transmission or beef up our cars. We didn't street race or anything. There was nothing to prove, everyone knew what you had because they were there when you built it. When one guy got a 350 going the shop would get all excited for the guy.
Other interests were also addressed, there was a wood shop, the geek squad had there science club. The girls for the most part hung with their Bf's and had there groups. Interaction was more encouraged back then by the schools. Yea we were metal heads and thrilled with MTV, we had clicks but we hung out with each other finding similar interests and forming friend ships.
The schools today don't do that. When that 3 pm bell rings school is over and so is there interest in the student. We had more then that from schools and we didn't have ADD or hyperactivity.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,683,362 times
Back in the 1970s we had "problems"; today we have "issues".

Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,366,757 times
Schools were a little more open to physical threats to keep students in line. Went to a fairly rough blue collar high school and our high school had two deans in charge of discipline. One had been a basketball player at U of Michigan and was almost 7 feet tall and close to 300 pounds, the other had been a college wrestler at one of the other Big 10 schools. It was well known that some of the students who had discipline problems would have to go in for 45 minute "counseling" sessions in the wrestling room. After getting dragged around a wrestling mat they often came to see the schools point of view on proper behavior. Today that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

In the 80's there were also more under the table type jobs open for kids. Starting in 7th grade I was making $40-$60 a week delivering newspapers. Friends of mine found jobs washing dishes in junior high, I cut lawns in the summer to make more money and my friends that lived on the edge of town picked up jobs on farms. Also did odd jobs for people around the neighborhood. Can't remember the last time I saw kids cutting lawns, now people hire a landscaping company to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or